Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case, it just sat behind this line of cars on the right. The car actually started on the left, ping ponged left and right, but then saw cars lined up and moved over to the right to get in line.

This street is definitely an edge case - you can see how wide it is. FSD is clearly looking for anything that might make sense to be a lane. It may do better when there's more traffic to give the car some context clues. When it's empty like this, it has no idea.

View attachment 737446
How is this road mapped in TomTom and OSM ?

Any way definitely file a bug report.

Just curious since I've seen TomTom mentioned a lot lately - do they have an open map that anyone can check out? Or do you need to own a TomTom device to access it?
See this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
I don't know if this video depicts FSD beta, or the public branch, but it's interesting to see what the car "sees" and how it labels various objects in the environment. I kinda think that it's the public branch, as I don't think the video author has access to FSD Beta.

By the way, if you like to nerd out on Tesla stuff, his YouTube channel is chock full of great content.

Reactions: n.one.one
FSD testers - Are you able to let the car continue on FSD beta, with no navigation destination set, and have it continue to drive, making turns at the appropriate intersections by manually using the turn signals?
You can enable FSD Beta without a destination, but the path it takes seems to be random. The turn signal will cause a lane change but will not force the car to turn.

I wouldn't trust anything that came from omar and no one should either.
Below stolen from:

"Zero disengagements" sounds impressive if you aren't part of the beta. You can have a zero disengagement drive and the car can still do the following:
  • Constantly phantom brake
  • Completely stop for flashing yellow lights
  • Constantly change lanes for no good reason especially right before it's about to turn (why?)
  • Wait until the last minute to get in the correct lane or miss it entirely and reroute
  • Jerk the wheel back and forth trying to make a decision on how to proceed
  • Sit forever while it's completely clear before turning or never turn at all until pedal is applied
  • Ride down the middle of neighborhood roads with oncoming cars until the very last minute
  • Wait till the last minute to turn on the blinker or not turn it on at all
  • Drive 25 miles per hour (or more) through some parking lots
  • Block the middle of an intersection during heavy traffic
  • Creep uncomfortable far into the road for visibility before turning
The people making some of these videos give no consideration about the drivers around them so they can boast about zero disengagements. You can't FEEL what the car is doing by watching these videos.
I don't like irritating or inconveniencing drivers around me, so I intervene more often. If no one is around, that's a different story. I'll let the car do its thing.

I appreciate the advancements to FSD and I'm excited about the future, but I say take these videos with a grain of salt. Plenty of other Youtubers (like Chuck) show the reality of FSD beta and I think those videos are much more fair and true to life.

I think the expansion of the beta has opened peoples eyes to the reality of all this, because it's clear there are a range of angles being played by some of the beta testers who have posted videos in the past. Some have been pretty genuine, some have obviously been portraying things in a more positive light than is warranted.

Seems like the activity in this thread has dropped off significantly since the expansion began, which feels counterintuitive but also indicative of that ^^ reality

Reactions: EVNow
I think the expansion of the beta has opened peoples eyes to the reality of all this, because it's clear there are a range of angles being played by some of the beta testers who have posted videos in the past. Some have been pretty genuine, some have obviously been portraying things in a more positive light than is warranted.
I'm certainly one of the ones who got upsold too hard on the good. My first 1000 ft on day 1 was the worst, but it definitely set appropriate expectations and spooked me good. I think had it been smooth and incident-free, I might have become complacent too soon, because sometimes it's actually quite good.

I wouldn't trust anything that came from omar and no one should either.
His commentary / titles are definitely hyped up. But if he posts a raw 1 hour video - thats what it is - unless he very cleverly edited videos without us figuring it out (almost impossible).

Ofcourse, we don't know when he is pushing on the accelerator (lot of youtubers tell when they do that) - and he lets it just go without taking over even if its taking a long time or is very close.

ps : I've not watched the 1 hour video ;)

[confused]How is driving ON a road considered OFF road?🤣🤣
unpaved = offroad ...

1638212350155.png

I think its a question of getting used to FSD and not intervening unless there is a crash risk.
Very much this.

If I look back on all of my disengagements and interventions, the majority of them are not due to crash risk, but either impatience on my part, not wanting to inconvenience other drivers, or phantom braking/slowing.

That's not to say that FSD doesn't do dangerous things, though. It is rare to get through a drive without it doing something that twitches the dangerous meter to one degree or another.

IME, most of the dangerous things FSD does is due to poor decisions made by the "what is the other guy gonna do/doing?" algorithms. It is a rare exception that the car does something dangerous that doesn't involve another car or VRU; it's ability to actually drive the car is quite impressive. Its decision making is markedly less so. One big exception here is its dangerous behavior in traffic circles (even with no other cars), and its occasional urge to run red lights. Other than those two things, though, FSD's ability to navigate the world is impressive.

Hopefully, we'll see decision making rapidly improve as they switch it over from hard code to NN.