Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Camera upgrade - charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 MS is in service today for various things and decided to finally do the FSD camera upgrade(I did the AP3.0 upgrade long ago). The service center is now telling me that some cars require a special bracket to support the new cameras and that this is NOT part of what they call the 'prepaid service package' cost. They want to charge me $10/bracket and apparently four of them are required.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've spoken with the service manager on site and she frankly seemed annoyed at me that I was pushing back against paying anything on top what I already paid for FSD.

Right, and you got the HW3 upgrade for free. Tesla never said camera upgrades would be free.

They said my car had all of the hardware necessary to run FSD. I (and others) purchased the full self drive feature; we did not purchase the HW3 computer. It is incumbent upon Tesla to make good on their commitment - a working version of FSD. If that requires more expensive hardware than they had originally believed then the responsibility for that extra cost is on them, not the customer.
Otherwise, offer a full refund.

Also: they DID say camera upgrades would be free; they are not charging anything for the new camera installation for most customers. Until they opened my car and decided that this extra bracket was required they were not going to charge me anything at all.

Right, and you got the HW3 upgrade for free. Tesla never said camera upgrades would be free.
If you examine the Tesla's blog,

When they say "computer installations," they also insert "complimentary camera replacements." They also explained why the cameras.

Reactions: Nicktdot
They said my car had all of the hardware necessary to run FSD. I (and others) purchased the full self drive feature; we did not purchase the HW3 computer. It is incumbent upon Tesla to make good on their commitment - a working version of FSD. If that requires more expensive hardware than they had originally believed then the responsibility for that extra cost is on them, not the customer.
Otherwise, offer a full refund.

Also: they DID say camera upgrades would be free; they are not charging anything for the new camera installation for most customers. Until they opened my car and decided that this extra bracket was required they were not going to charge me anything at all.
When I bought my computer they promised I had all the power needed to run Windows. Yet not window 10 only XP.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nicktdot
Hi All, just checking . The free camera upgrade , the side repeaters are available in both black and chrome right ? I’ve just had mine upgraded and they have fitted black which I personally don’t like and want chrome like they use to be to match the car .

Reactions: Art VandeIay
When I bought my computer they promised I had all the power needed to run Windows. Yet not window 10 only XP.
Not similar at all really. Tesla sold FSD as a promise of technology with a promise to upgrade if needed. Your box PC was sold once and everyone involved in the sale walked away and made no promises that future software or hardware would exist for your computer.

I received the camera upgrade on my 2017 MS 100D in December 2022 (I think that's right time, could have been earlier). No charge or special brackets.

I'm unsure what bracket it could be. The pillar cameras mount right to back of glass. Fender cameras mount to fender. They installed the newer cameras which are black. I had to request that they make them Chrome. It's a chrome cover they stick on it. Looks fine to me, but I would rather not have known it was just a cover stuck on there for some reason LOL.

Only thing I can think of to give them any credibility would be if there was yet another camera revision since then.

Based on post from chmax73 that doesn't seem plausible.