Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD did not transfer on car bought at 3rd party dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought Tesla Model Y from a 3rd party dealer which included FSD but once I transferred ownership of vehicle to my Tesla account, it does not show FSD under subscriptions purchased. Carfax report on VIN shows FSD package included and even the dealer advertised with FSD. How do I get FSD back into my account? I dont see a proper ph number or email to contact Tesla on this. I opened a Service request for Software updates but I need to call Tesla directly and talk to them . Anybody know what is the best contact to reach Tesla for situations like this?

Reactions: KentheJ
Nor should it. Subscriptions (the $200/month package) are licensed to users, they don't transfer. Only the $10k option package does. What was the documentation you got from the dealer indicating the car had the FSD option?
Their dealer website, autotrader website showed FSD included in options and CarFax Report still shows t has FSD included. What I meant is under options where it shows AutoPilot it should show FSD as software purchased it is tied to vehicle VIN , and not a personal subscription like premium connectivity subscription which can be cancelled. Car was priced accordingly including FSD. This is like Tesla cheating the consumers and I have read somewhere their policy states FSD package stays with VIN and transferrable. what is best way to contact Tesla on this?

I bought Tesla Model Y from a 3rd party dealer which included FSD but once I transferred ownership of vehicle to my Tesla account, it does not show FSD under subscriptions purchased. Carfax report on VIN shows FSD package included and even the dealer advertised with FSD. How do I get FSD back into my account? I dont see a proper ph number or email to contact Tesla on this. I opened a Service request for Software updates but I need to call Tesla directly and talk to them . Anybody know what is the best contact to reach Tesla for situations like this?
Was this preowned Y priced as if it included FSD? I assume you found via an online listing, if so, did the dealer include a photo of the Y's screen showing FSD included?

Incorrect. There are scenarios where Tesla can and does remove FSD. Notably when the vehicle passes through them on the way to auction.
In which case the dealer never had FSD on the car, and (like I said) incorrectly sold a configuration to its user. I don't see where the "Incorrect" is coming from. I didn't say anything about the circumstances under which FSD "could" be removed, I said it was almost certainly true that it wasn't on the car the dealer was selling.

I believe you have to buy from a private seller to retain/transfer the FSD. Once it goes to a dealer/auction, Tesla removes FSD from the VIN in their system.
No, that would be fraud if Tesla did that. They don't. What you're thinking about is that if Tesla themselves take posession of the car, that they strip off options before reselling it. There have been some middle tier sellers who got burned at these auctions thinking they were purchasing a car with FSD because they saw it on the screen.

In which case the dealer never had FSD on the car, and (like I said) incorrectly sold a configuration to its user. I don't see where the "Incorrect" is coming from. I didn't say anything about the circumstances under which FSD "could" be removed, I said it was almost certainly true that it wasn't on the car the dealer was selling.
Also incorrect. FSD may have been available on the car while the dealer had it because no account transfer was performed.

When linking the vehicle to OP’s account, FSD is removed.

Also incorrect. FSD may have been available on the car while the dealer had it because no account transfer was performed.
Again, this was covered in my original comment, asking the OP whether or not they had seen such evidence on the car. I still don't understand why you're being so needlessly combative here. You've twice jumped in to "correct" me based on something I didn't say.

Again, this was covered in my original comment, asking the OP whether or not they had seen such evidence on the car. I still don't understand why you're being so needlessly combative here. You've twice jumped in to "correct" me based on something I didn't say.
Go re-read what you posted.

“In which case the dealer never had FSD on the car, and (like I said) incorrectly sold a configuration to its user”

This is not correct. The vehicle very well could have had FSD while in the dealers possession. So either you mis-typed something or you are passing out incorrect info.

Go re-read what you posted.

“In which case the dealer never had FSD on the car, and (like I said) incorrectly sold a configuration to its user”

This is not correct. The vehicle very well could have had FSD while in the dealers possession. So either you mis-typed something or you are passing out incorrect info.
That's a pointlessly pedantic interpretation. Maybe you'd calm down if you realized that what I meant was that the dealer's car was not legally provisioned with FSD, which is precisely why I asked about the state of the car at the dealer? Again, you're starting fights here and I genuinely can't tell why. You agree with me, just not with the version of me you've gotten into your head...

Dealer said they had FSD on it but a software update removed it and Vehicle VIN also shows it in packages when I retrieved history .I have screenshots of Carfax history and dealer site descriptions. Unfortunately I do not have screenshots from vehicle dashboard before transferring vehicle to my account. This vehicle was preowned by a private owner before and went thru an auction(not Tesla auction as far as I can tell) . All forums I have read mentions Tesla removes FSD when it goes thru Tesla again , I do not know if its true. I have contacted dealer , they said it included FSD when they procured it and they have said Tesla is the one that did software upgrade which dealer does not control. I asked for their auction documentation as proof. I But Carfax report does show vehicle had FSD in packages so that should be the proof right? need to reach out to Tesla to ask them but I am not finding a way to contact . Is this a service request or do I talk to their used sales team or post on their twitter? Anybody went thru this experience?

But Carfax report does show vehicle had FSD in packages
How would Carfax know if a car had FSD or not? (It is probably on there because the dealer told them to put it on the report. So that really means nothing.)

It all comes down to the dealer told you it had it and it doesn't so it is on them to make it right. They can pay you $10k to enable it, or they can deal with Tesla.

Have you asked who they purchased it from? (If from an auction it is most likely from Tesla, in which case FSD would likely have been removed.)

Dealer said they had FSD on it but a software update removed it and Vehicle VIN also shows it in packages when I retrieved history .I have screenshots of Carfax history and dealer site descriptions. Unfortunately I do not have screenshots from vehicle dashboard before transferring vehicle to my account. This vehicle was preowned by a private owner before and went thru an auction(not Tesla auction as far as I can tell) . All forums I have read mentions Tesla removes FSD when it goes thru Tesla again , I do not know if its true. I have contacted dealer , they said it included FSD when they procured it and they have said Tesla is the one that did software upgrade which dealer does not control. I asked for their auction documentation as proof. I But Carfax report does show vehicle had FSD in packages so that should be the proof right? need to reach out to Tesla to ask them but I am not finding a way to contact . Is this a service request or do I talk to their used sales team or post on their twitter? Anybody went thru this experience?
This is all the dealer. Have the dealer contact Tesla or tell them you're returning the car and want your money back. You could such a run around with Tesla for weeks on "Don't worry, it's on there" to "No, we don't see that you purchased it."

The dealer can pay someone for those wasted hours.

I used to flip Teslas with a friend. On 2 of the cars, Tesla removed FSD *after* the cars were in our possession. We bought both from Tesla at a dealer auction. Apparently Tesla now removes FSD from all cars they sell to dealers, but sometimes there is a delay in their process, and dealers see FSD magically disappear from their cars. Very very not cool. Have the dealer call Tesla and have them restore the car to the state at which it was sold to the dealer at.

If they for some reason are not able to, return the car. It’s not your problem to deal with.

I am surprised the dealer even said it had it.. a lot of dealers won't say it even if it's there just because of this. That way if the software "disappears", the buyer cannot come back to them about it since they didnt say it was included int he purchase.