Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Disengaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely use the FSD in my model s, but when I do it regularly disengages on its own. Is this normal? I don’t have any strikes and it seems to disengage for different reasons. It sees a pedestrian J-walking and instead of stopping and waiting for them to pass it will just disengage. Sometimes it seems to just randomly disengage in situations maybe where it is confused. I have seen videos of people using FSD where it navigates similar situations without disengaging.

Reactions: OhioBobcat
I rarely use the FSD in my model s, but when I do it regularly disengages on its own. Is this normal? I don’t have any strikes and it seems to disengage for different reasons. It sees a pedestrian J-walking and instead of stopping and waiting for them to pass it will just disengage. Sometimes it seems to just randomly disengage in situations maybe where it is confused. I have seen videos of people using FSD where it navigates similar situations without disengaging.
Since you mentioned pedestrians, I assume you are referring to FSD beta? It is not normal for FSDb (or regular FSD) to just disengage. When this happens, do you get the Red Hands of Death with loud beeping? Do you get a notification stating why FSD is disengaging?

Disengagements accompanied by the Red Hands of Death are generally due to a system error. Infrequently, I have this happen, but not with any regularity.

Since you mentioned pedestrians, I assume you are referring to FSD beta? It is not normal for FSDb (or regular FSD) to just disengage. When this happens, do you get the Red Hands of Death with loud beeping? Do you get a notification stating why FSD is disengaging?

Disengagements accompanied by the Red Hands of Death are generally due to a system error. Infrequently, I have this happen, but not with any regularity.
No notification or anything. Just makes a little dinging noise and deactivates

Reactions: OhioBobcat
No notification or anything. Just makes a little dinging noise and deactivates
Single ding, or double ding? Single means AP is disengaged but TACC is still running. A half pull up on the stalk does this, as does turning the wheel. Double ding means AP and TACC are disengaged. This is a full pull up on the stalk or pressing the brakes. Could indicate if there is something mechanically wrong, such as a torque sensor, disabling AP with a single ding.

• Informative
Reactions: Rice&Curry
I get similar behavior in our Model Y but no dings whatsoever. Just all of a sudden, the car is out of FSD mode and is just in TACC/autosteer mode and a few minutes later, it's back in FSD mode. It switches constantly between FSD and TACC/autosteer, with no audible indication whatsoever—just the disappearance of the blue "laser line" indicator from the front of the car and the loss of navigate on autopilot.

We've verified that when it has dropped out of FSD that it really does lose navigation on autopilot so it's not just a display issue. And we have FSD beta on a model 3 so we've compared behavior and the Y's behavior is unique. This has been consistent since the day we got the Y, more than a year ago. We wonder if it's a hardware problem but when my wife tried to set up an appointment for them to check out the FSD computer Tesla service just canceled the appointment with "It's beta; we don't do service on FSD behavior."

Just took a longer trip and this happened to me multiple times. It just disengages with no warning.