Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - hands on wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expecting pickup this week, ordered with FSD.

For the purposes of this post, assume that a no-hands on wheel FSD Tesla will be safer than any other vehicle I drive.

In FSD / NOA, new hardware/latest software, are hands still required on the wheel on the highway?

Right now, hands on wheel is still required at all times on the current software/hardware. But "FSD" has not even been released yet. We don't have "automatic city driving" and the current AP/NOA is not mature yet to be FSD. In the future, when FSD becomes complete and fully mature, I am sure hands will not be required on the wheel anymore. But we are not there yet.

Expecting pickup this week, ordered with FSD.

For the purposes of this post, assume that a no-hands on wheel FSD Tesla will be safer than any other vehicle I drive.

In FSD / NOA, new hardware/latest software, are hands still required on the wheel on the highway?
Yes.

You need to adjust your expectations. What Tesla currently has is far away from what most people would intuitively consider "full self driving".

FSD is more for the future than the present. At some point in the future it will allow driving without hands on wheel - possibly this year, possibly not. Right now, it's just Autopilot, hands on wheel but pretty smart.

I hear you guys, but they literally call it Full Self-Driving Capability, charge money for it, describe the features (NoA: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges and overtaking slower cars), along with other features. They describe some stuff coming later (Traffic lights/city streets).

If hands are still needed even with this in stock configuration, fine. Is there a way to disable hands-on or convince the car there's a hand on the wheel?

I hear you guys, but they literally call it Full Self-Driving Capability, charge money for it, describe the features (NoA: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges and overtaking slower cars), along with other features. They describe some stuff coming later (Traffic lights/city streets).

If hands are still needed even with this in stock configuration, fine. Is there a way to disable hands-on or convince the car there's a hand on the wheel?

No. Driving without paying any attention is still illegal in most states. Tesla really doesn't need another fatal accident caused by a driver willfully ignoring instructions and basic safety practices.

There is a lot of difference between a car that is capable of driving unassisted most of the time and a car that is certified to do so without driver supervision at all times and under all conditions.

Even if the car were fully self driving, then in most countries and states it would still be illegal not to supervise it.

The term FSD on the website is confusing right now. It is not true full self-driving yet. The reason Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving" is because it is a set of features that once "feature complete", will cover all the main aspects of self-driving. NOA covers highway driving, "automatic city driving" will cover city driving, "traffic light recognition" will cover stopping at traffic lights and stop signs. Auto park covers self parking. Summon will cover the car finding you in a parking lot. So once FSD is feature complete, it will allow the car to self-drive in all general situations and on both highways and local roads. But Tesla still needs to release the "coming later this year" features and also finish maturing the system so that it is good enough to self-drive without human intervention.

No! Please do not try this! The system is not yet ready for the human driver to take their hands off the wheel and not pay attention. If you try to remove the hands on wheel confirmation or cheat it, and you don't pay attention, you could get into a very serious accident, even fatal. Please use autopilot responsibly, keep your hands on the wheel, pay attention. Wait until Tesla removes the hands on wheel requirement before taking your hands off the wheel.

Only if you have a death wish. The current status really requires you to be involved and keep a hand on the wheel. There have been people actually DIE because they did not stay alert.

...Is there a way to disable hands-on or convince the car there's a hand on the wheel?

You are missing the whole point. Autopilot / FSD is beta and that is exactly what you get: an unfinished product.

If you don't follow its instructions, you might join the list among Tesla Autopilot crashes, injuries, and deaths.

There's a consolation prize after Autopilot crashes, injuries, and deaths for being able to exercise the right to sue Tesla (especially, after death.)

However, no cases have been successful so far while 2 others (fatal Autopilot Model X in Mountain View, and fatal Autopilot Model 3 in FL) are pending.

To answer your question: Yes if you want to invite death, there's a way to fool Autopilot system: a continuous light counter force device on the steering wheel would do it.

Capture.png

I myself use one hand hanging down to create a light continuous counter force so I can get the feedback from the automated steering.

If I don't do that, I don't get the steering feedback and by the time I react, it might be too late.

So, for me, an orange won't do it. My hand there for a light continuous counter force does fool the system but that is not the purpose. The purpose is steering feedback so I can seamlessly react with no lag time.

Choose life!

Good luck!

Reactions: OBX John

You just need to know that when you buy FSD today, you are buying a FUTURE product. You are buying some nice features NOW that should become FSD in the FUTURE.

Appreciate it, everyone. This is bait and switch bullshit. It says plain as day on the website "Full Self Driving" and more stuff coming in the future. I get all that. But then this video gets released with the guy not holding a wheel at all; that's what got me to order it.

**** Tesla. 7 days or a 1000 miles to return this piece of *sugar*, right?

It's not bait and switch. That video is a demo of what Tesla has in development right now. It's a tease of what we can expect soon, when they do release the "coming later this year" features as a software update. So you will get what is in that demo later this year, according to Tesla. It's just not out yet.

Plain as day - video says "Full Self Driving". Order website says "Full Self Driving". Bait and switch. We can agree to disagree.

Interpret it that way if you want. I am just telling you the truth. The FSD video is a demo of what Tesla plans to release later this year. And you purchased FSD so you will get what is in that video when Tesla releases the software updates for it.

Appreciate it, everyone. This is bait and switch bullshit. It says plain as day on the website "Full Self Driving" and more stuff coming in the future. I get all that. But then this video gets released with the guy not holding a wheel at all; that's what got me to order it.

**** Tesla. 7 days or a 1000 miles to return this piece of *sugar*, right?

Just checked the website, and saw where your confusion is.

The website states M3 comes with FSD hardware, but FSD capability will be available in the future. This means when the software for FSD will be downloaded when available, and use the current M3 hardware which includes the cameras and sensors for FSD.

The website also talks about Tesla Autopilot, which changes lanes and navigates to a limited degree. I find using AP to be less stressful on some long commutes, but AP is separate from FSD and needs hands on. You should treat AP like a very advanced version of cruise control, but should use it like cruise control where you still need to monitor it by keeping hands on the wheel.

Edit: I didn't see where the website says FSD is available now. Just that FSD hardware is present. Did you see that somewhere?

I guess I'm not as smart as you guys here - I'm just a dumb hick from the mountains. I see Full Self Drive on the website and the video, and think they're the same. I'll enjoy it for 6 days. Will see how many launch control Ludicrous 1/4s I can run through it before I hand it back.

Why would you return the car? If you like the car, and it's a good car for you, and you paid for it now, why not keep it? Plus, you are going to get the FSD you paid for when Tesla releases the software. So why turn the car in now and miss out on FSD when Tesla does release it? The Model 3 is a great car and you will get FSD when it comes out later. Keep the car!

I got the X, not the 3. Not sure that makes a difference. Where I'm from, when someone says something, you can take it to the bank. There's no fine print to worry about. I'm sure there's something covering their ass with this, but I ordered this thing because I drive a lot on highways and thought it would be perfect (and safer) for me. It may well be, I just don't reward companies that misrepresent their product with my business. This car cost more than most people in my state make in 3 years, and from what I'm reading here, it doesn't do what it was advertised to do. That video is on Tesla's official YouTube account. The site I ordered the car from had an option for Full Self Drive, so I selected it. I read the part where it says traffic lights and city streets coming later this year, and didn't expect that now. But from everything you guys are saying, this is nothing more than what they have had for years with AP. I researched AP. I didn't buy it when they had it outsourced. I didn't buy it when the hardware was Nvidia. I knew they'd figure it out, and I thought this was it. It could be a hell of a lot worse, fellas! I didn't have indoor plumbing until I was 17. Come a long way since then...