Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD increasing by $1K 11/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First. No one makes me feel guilty for buying the car or FSD. I’m glad I bought it, and can afford it.
I totally disagree with you though. Software is no different from hardware. Hundreds of labour hours put into software, or hundreds of dollars in material costs are no different.
Just because you don’t get a physical object for your money, doesn’t mean the value isn’t there. Just the opposite.
It’s taken them years to get where it is now. Far ahead of anyone else. It will likely take many hundreds of hours more. So why would you think the software is not worth that much after years of labour????
Oracle sells database software for for tens of thousands sometimes millions of dollars per sale.
I think anyone who isn’t familiar with the value software doesn’t have a good perspective on the value of the FSD efforts and progress either.

Elon Musk has said that the software doesn't take advantage of HW3 yet. So, there's no difference today. At some point, FSD features will require HW3 to operate but that hasn't happened yet.

The price increases for FSD only work if you plan to use the vehicle commercially to recoup the cost. For anyone not interested in loaning your car to strangers, the increasing price of FSD simply means they will never buy it. Given that the car's hardware is already installed in the vehicle, all this does is remove additional income revenue from existing customers that Tesla would otherwise earn.

It would not be hard for the commercial rideshare aspects of FSD be limited to a commercial licence, and regular individual use have a lower price point.

Even when you don't use it commercially it could be a huge benefit. Just imagine never have to pay for parking anymore. You just send your car away and summon it when you are ready. Never have to pick your kids from school and bring them to school; just let your car do it. You might even get rid of that second car. As soon as you are at work, send your car back home so other members of the family can use is when you are at work. Summon it again when you finished work and are ready to go back home etc.

Even when you don't use it commercially it could be a huge benefit. Just imagine never have to pay for parking anymore. You just send your car away and summon it when you are ready. Never have to pick your kids from school and bring them to school; just let your car do it. You might even get rid of that second car. As soon as you are at work, send your car back home so other members of the family can use is when you are at work. Summon it again when you finished work and are ready to go back home etc.

yeah, I don't doubt it will be useful, but the features are quickly not becoming worth it even if it has 100% of the functionality Elon has promised at this price point.

I can see paying 25% or more of the cost of the car for software if it pays for itself. But as a non commercial user, the cost for the car to drive itself (FSD) eats up any fuel savings it had over ICE, and I still have to be in the car to monitor it. I may as well just use autopilot, or drive it myself and keep the savings.

But lets do best case and go all out and say that as a non commercial user I own FSD AND it no longer needs a driver behind the wheel to function. I could save on a car payment by sharing the car between myself and my wife. Pretty cool - but that also puts an upper limit on the possible savings. Once the cost goes higher than her getting a second car plus insurance (minus the cost of driving between us), I may as well just get that second car instead and avoid the hassle. And even in this scenario, if I had 2 cars, I could recoup that cost by selling one as needed. This route is less flexible and the car may be occupied with someone else when I need it.

... and with the legal hurdles and testing required before a Tesla can be fully autonomous, it's very likely my model 3 won't be the car doing it in my future. It will be a newer better model with better hardware.

For those saying software shouldn't cost that much must not have to buy professional software. I wanted to buy some software I use at work for home to learn it better. Cost is $9k plus a $1700 yearly subscription. I'm sure the company I work for gets a bit of a discount since we have so many licenses but I doubt it would be in the range I would pay to have it at home. I just hope Tesla doesn't go to software as a service.

In Tesla FSD case I would bet it will be really expensive for the first year or two after they get it approved. After that the price will drop and fast. There are plenty that bought FSD with the car for several thousand $ when the feature is a few years out maybe more. Once they actually have functional FSD the demand for it will go up and they will charge for it. Some will pay just to have it for their own others so they can use it for commercial use. It doesn't have to make financial sense for the purchaser buying a new car doesn't make financial sense in most cases. However there will be plenty willing to pay for the latest tech. It will take a few years for them to run out of people willing and able to pay extra for it. Then they will start lowering the price, another car company offering FSD will likely cause them to lower prices faster. Once they start selling large number the price will come down. Part of the reason professional software is so expensive is the limited number of sales and it can take more man hours to write the code than more generalized software.

I paid for FSD when I bought my car, at the time I was driving 40k miles a year. I also keep my cars for 10+ years so I expect to see some features before I buy a new car. Was I hoping for features to roll out faster? Yes. Did I expect FSD to be released by now? No.

People have different priorities, I would never pay the extra for the performance models even if I could afford it. To me that doesn't make sense to pay that much extra for power that I can rarely use, it isn't like any Tesla is under powered.

Reactions: preilly44
It's repulsive to see all the bitching. He announced that price increase months ago. He gave AP/AS/TACC away on the base models. He delivered on the $35k EV. He even gave us EAP owners extra time to buy the 3.X hardware upgrade and the full future automation at $3k. But now it's "Yo, Elon baby, I want it all cheaper, and it sucks".

If it sucks so bad, why do you even want it? And I'm sorry, but if you don't think the automation is worth $6-$8k out of a $50k car's price tag, you should stick to cheaper stuff.

You watched this man do the impossible, come out with the first new American cars in ages, with the most innovative design and the most advanced automation, while all the media mocked and knocked him. You got a flying saucer for the price of a prehistoric gas-guzzler, and now you curs join this pack of hyenas to grind and bitch and moan ?

Shame ! America doesn't deserve Tesla. If this goes on and the Chinese acquire Tesla and dominate the world automotive market, it will serve you right. Only it won't be so funny.

It's repulsive to see all the bitching. He announced that price increase months ago. He gave AP/AS/TACC away on the base models. He delivered on the $35k EV. He even gave us EAP owners extra time to buy the 3.X hardware upgrade and the full future automation at $3k. But now it's "Yo, Elon baby, I want it all cheaper, and it sucks".

If it sucks so bad, why do you even want it? And I'm sorry, but if you don't think the automation is worth $6-$8k out of a $50k car's price tag, you should stick to cheaper stuff.

You watched this man do the impossible, come out with the first new American cars in ages, with the most innovative design and the most advanced automation, while all the media mocked and knocked him. You got a flying saucer for the price of a prehistoric gas-guzzler, and now you curs join this pack of hyenas to grind and bitch and moan ?

Shame ! America doesn't deserve Tesla. If this goes on and the Chinese acquire Tesla and dominate the world automotive market, it will serve you right. Only it won't be so funny.
I agree. And I am Australian ;)

Still don't get it:
- Making it more expensive, will not sell more.

Overseas (EU, asia) is now a major market. Forget FSD in cities in these regions (will take 5+ years before it could work). By that time we buy the next Tesla, so what's the point.
They cannot even get summon available in Europe (not allowed).

Get us a highway/secondary roads only FSD option for 1-2K: that will sell......

Last edited:
FSD is a monumental work in progress. Tesla is spending on going millions towards this development.
They need to charge an appropriate amount to get a return.
If it WAS fully ready, you would be paying much more my friend. :)

Calling it a ”joke” just illustrates that you don’t get the business model...

Usually you sell high quality functional stuff, to fund development of new stuff. E.g. selling Model S to build the Model 3.

This magic business model now inflating the price of half-baked stuff, to so it will be less half-baked in the future?

It is way too easy to sit back and complain. No question, what Tesla has done is staggering in scale and awesomeness. It would be a huge loss if Tesla ended up owned outside the US - but the Tesla mission is not ultimately tied to the US and neither is investment capital.

The problem I see is that the OTA updates and upgrades being part of the public product experience does bring your customers into a very different relationship. People buy with expectation of future develoment rather than based on what the product does at the time of purchase. The product development process is then carried out partly live on your existing clients and across a wide and growing range of products. This is hugely difficult and expensive (if not impossible) to pull off. Throw in the inevitable 'bad' (imperfect) design choices that are almost impossible to avoid as engineers try to reach impossible compromises, and the end result will never be flawless.

If you understand and can accept these differences, and keep in mind as I just saw in a post elsewhere that buying a new expensive car is rarely a rational financial decision, then Tesla are doing a stunning job in many other respects.

Every announcement of a price increase in FSD spurs increased sales with folks jumping in because they fear buying it later at a higher price. When sales slow not surprisining they put on another sale to spur additional sales again. Seems like a cycle and makes if difficult to chose when or buy it. Regardless its still a gamble.

I'm so sick of Tesla haters, I didn't think there would be as many on a Tesla forum. A long time ago people would be proud of an American company, creating US jobs, making an amazing product that is literally changing the world. Now we just bitch about whatever we can. End rant.
You confuse criticism and complaining with hate. Tesla has much it can improve. We WANT them to improve, not just for ourselves, but their own survival. Complaining about paint quality and delivery idiocy is not hate. Many express their disappointment in Tesla and it may anger others. It’s not hate.

The absolute abysmal performance of the new summon feature shows just how hilariously far from FSD Tesla is.
It’s not perfect. It’s easily fooled. The warnings have been stated by Tesla.

I'm starting to think that a crowd funding model would suit Tesla better!
Crowd funding is for startups that can’t raise money through sales or other investors. Tesla is well beyond that.

You want the cost to come down? Boycott it
How can I not buy it any more than I am not buying it?

Someone saying it's not worth it to them to buy for $7000 doesn't mean they don't want it.

In fact, if someone didn't buy it at $5000 and $6000, buying it at $7000 is highly unlikely.

The only question is if enough people think FSD in its current state (or likely future state) is going to be worth $7000. I suspect the answer is no. It's 15% of the price of an AWD Model 3 and rising.

If FSD can do completely autonomous driving, that might be a different matter, but as a service you have to babysit and watch, you could just as easily also drive and save the cash.

Fact is, I feel more confident about my skills to avoid an accident when changing lanes than I would with FSD doing it. So AP meets my needs and FSD would merely just be a fun toy to mess with. It will never be worth $5000 to me (on top of the $3000 paid for AP).

Reactions: SG25 and smashcz