Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to just let the car do all the lane changes without having to acknowledge them? I have FSD and I turned off the option of needing to acknowledge a lane change by tapping the turn signal stalk, but I still have to apply pressure to the steering wheel before it’ll make the lane change. The timing of applying the pressure before it kicks me off FSD is a slim window when changing lanes. And for those who may think I’m talking about applying pressure every 40-50 seconds, I know I’ll always need to do that, this is in relation to lane changing only.

Yes you can have them automatically happen rather than acknowledge. It’s in the settings. Mine only prompts for steering wheel pressure during lane change if it’s been the same amount of time not getting pressure inputs through normal driving.

I thought that was the case with mine, but literally EVERY TIME I have to change lanes it’s requesting me to put pressure on the steering wheel. Even if it’s 5-10 seconds after I just put pressure on it.

Reactions: frankvb and X-pilot
Is there a way to just let the car do all the lane changes without having to acknowledge them? I have FSD and I turned off the option of needing to acknowledge a lane change by tapping the turn signal stalk, but I still have to apply pressure to the steering wheel before it’ll make the lane change. The timing of applying the pressure before it kicks me off FSD is a slim window when changing lanes. And for those who may think I’m talking about applying pressure every 40-50 seconds, I know I’ll always need to do that, this is in relation to lane changing only.
I am worried that the backward looking cameras cannot look back far enough to see a very fast car coming from behind in an adjacent lane. I've had it pull in front of cars too close and I've read about a person getting a ticket because of cutting too close when changing lanes (it was later dropped).

I thought that was the case with mine, but literally EVERY TIME I have to change lanes it’s requesting me to put pressure on the steering wheel. Even if it’s 5-10 seconds after I just put pressure on it.

That's the requirement, even though you have lane change confirmation off, you still must have hands on the wheel at the time of the lane change. It will not change lanes if it does not detect torque.

You're not confirming the lane change, you're simply being responsible. It will change lanes.

Reactions: EinSV
That's the requirement, even though you have lane change confirmation off, you still must have hands on the wheel at the time of the lane change. It will not change lanes if it does not detect torque.

You're not confirming the lane change, you're simply being responsible. It will change lanes.
While I fully agree with the first part, my experience is the same as others (during the brief time I had disabled confirmation). I can easily hold the wheel firmly without applying rotational force, so the car thinks I've let go of it. During normal AP this usually works as every now and then the car steers a bit and detects the torque.

But every time it tried to start an automatic lane change it didn't work and I had to move the wheel a bit.

BTW: I disabled the feature as I did not always like the lane changes it wanted to do, it's not very clever in anticipating what other people want to do (e.g. move right in front of you just because they need to take an upcoming exit, no point to change lanes).

I hold the wheel with one hand at 4 or 5 o'clock (or 7 or 8 with the left hand), which gives enough torque to avoid any nags. That works for unconfirmed lane changes as well. With a decent grip on the wheel you'll be ready for anything.
I agree. It is a huge benefit to all Tesla drivers to perfect this way of holding the steering wheel. It makes autopilot/FSD so much more enjoyable. I literally get no nags unless I intentionally let go of the steering wheel.
I find it a very comfortable position as well. I can easily drive for a couple of hours with my right elbow on the arm rest and hand on the wheel at 4 o’clock.

I have confirmation on because FSD can be kind of a jerk. I'm a more considerate driver.

I think over time we'll be able to customize the driving style of FSD and it's not just a Tesla issue but other cars that will drive themselves. Maybe even a way to drive manually for a bit and have the car learn your driving style to emulate it when it's in FSD mode?

Also, there is a future problem of regular human drivers "bullying" FSD cars (road rage, cutting them off, boxing them in, intentionally blocking their path and more).

That may be a harder problem to solve.

I confirm lane changes in FSD using the signal stalk.
As for confirming my presence at the wheel I usually rest my right elbow on the arm rest and hand on the wheel at 4 o’clock. Sometimes I rest my left elbow on the window ledge. When I see the blue flashing nag I move the left roller ball up or down a click adjusting the volume. This tells the car I’m still there and stops the nag (it also works if you adjust your speed up or down 1 MPH with the right roller ball).

On a recent trip, several times after I hit the turn signal stock, the car would start changing lanes, abruptly and momentarily swerve back into my original lane and then changes lanes. There were no cars in my Immediate vicinity. It was fairly unnerving.

Hopefully this imminent FSD update will cure all that ails us with lane changing.

On a recent trip, several times after I hit the turn signal stock, the car would start changing lanes, abruptly and momentarily swerve back into my original lane and then changes lanes. There were no cars in my Immediate vicinity. It was fairly unnerving.

Hopefully this imminent FSD update will cure all that ails us with lane changing.
Agreed. Tesla needs to smooth this out a bit. This happens to me quite often. The fix is to keep your signal flashing most of the way through the lane change. In fact you almost have to complete the lane change or the car thinks you changed your mind and aborts the lane change by jerking you back into the previous lane.This is another reason to always stay attentive in FSD.

mine did this too if I was pushing the stalk halfway down. If it fully engage the turn signal (through the "click") it hasn't done it since and makes smooth lane changes