Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD NOW 8k for all models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might as well include Smart Summon for free. It's totally useless and a party trick at best.

I agree. As long as Smart Summon can't guarantee to not curb a wheel, it is useless.

What is it you say? You are supposed to always monitor it? Well, if you are away from the car, you can usually only see one side of the car and it could curb the wheel on the side you can't see. And if you are close enough to see all around the car, then might as well get in and drive.

I'm wondering how they are ever going to steer clear of curbs with camera angles not covering what is immediately adjacent the two front wheels (The repeater cameras do see the rear wheels)).

I basically only use Smart Summon to to show someone what the car "could do" if there's hardly any traffic around, not many other vehicles parked, and there are no curbs between me and the car.

Many parking lots around here have curbs and I don't trust the car to not curb a wheel.

Last edited:
I agree. As long as Smart Summon can't guarantee to not curb a wheel, it is useless.

What is it you say? You are supposed to always monitor it? Well, if you are away from the car, you can usually only see one side of the car and it could curb the wheel on the side you can't see. And if you are close enough to see all around the car, then might as well get in and drive.

I'm wondering how they are ever going to steer clear of curbs with camera angles not covering what is immediately adjacent the two front wheels.

As someone who had his Model S not pull out far enough from an end space before starting its turn UP ONTO the TALL curb adjacent to it AND having it drive forward onto a sidewalk/curb at a Sams parking lot one day, I agree with you 100%. I was fortunate that somehow, someway, it didnt damage the wheel/tire, nor side skirt area of the car. (especially when it went up/onto the tall curb).

Every since then? I only use it in a wide open area when showing someone the technology. I never use it in a "useful" type of manner. Too much risk/not enough reward

They might as well include Smart Summon for free. It's totally useless and a party trick at best.

I think Tesla made an error promising to deliver Smart Summon for EAP on AP2 and AP2.5 systems, whereas the rest of EAP seems to fit fine. That was my reasoning to remove it from this future variant of EAP.
Telsa probably should also remove the auto lane change option from this future variant of EAP, again because it is a stretch on AP2 and AP2.5, and also currently not terribly useful.

Maybe Tesla should offer "AP1 emulation."
While the feature set might be limited, it just works as expected most of the time with a minimum of phantom braking.
phantom.jpg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So you think the lane change, Summon, Smart Summon, NoA, Autopark, and stop sign/light recognition/response is only worth $1,000? o_O
Of those list of features auto lane change is the only one i'd use. Summon...maybe to navigate a tight parking spot. Smart summon, is nowhere near close to being ready or useful, NoA is downright scary, autopark is slow and error prone (better to just park myself) and the stop sign and light recognition is also scary to use in practice. And even auto lane change on my last AP 2.0 car was sometimes overly tentative and frustrating, and sometimes overly aggressive when it should have been cautious.

Not sure how true self driving will ever feel as safe as a real driver without it being able to read the human behavior of others. The things we take for granted like, does that car see me, does that pedestrian see me, does that cyclist see me....a lot depends on eye contact and true cognition - is this driver drifting out of his lane? Is this pedestrian just standing there, but about to realize the walk signal has been on and lurch in front of my car? Has this driver been doing weird stuff or acting drunk? Stuff like that. I'm an FSD skeptic and I think the AI needed will not be available until i'm on my next Tesla, and I'm planning on keeping my current car at least 8 years.

If Musk said I could transfer FSD to another Tesla, then yes, I'd be interested. But I really doubt it'll be very useful on our cars NOW, especially because they'll likely need more sensors and processing power to really solve those tough AI problems. Unfortuntely the more he raises the price, the less interested I get.

Remember in 2017, when you could pay $3k for the "FSD" option on top of EAP? 3 years later and it doesn't do anything yet EAP doesn't do. Don't fall for Elon's trick. He's using a strategy he believes will increase short term sales. If he doesn't produce what he's promising, he will not be able to raise the price as he has promised. So far his promises have come to fruitiion drastically behind their promised timelines. Don't fall for it. Decide if the features today are worth $8k. That's it. Most SHOULD agree they aren't.

I don't have FSD but I do look at my FSD display and see all kinds of weird *sugar* going on there too.

Last edited:
Maybe Tesla should offer "AP1 emulation."
While the feature set might be limited, it just works as expected most of the time with a minimum of phantom braking.
I have a 11/14 build 85 with AP1 and I agree it just works fine. Highway driving is relaxing, the auto lane change is really natural. Not to be used for city driving, but can be good for stop and go traffic.
My package only includes summon, auto steering with lane change and park assist. So it’s basic, at that time it was the top package. Maybe it costed 3k. So basically all I’m missing is NoA and the city driving capabilities. Yes 8k is overpriced. 5k to 6k sounds nice. Tesla should bring back an AP1 comparable package for 2k to 3k.

I use it everyday, twice a day to pull it in and out of a tight garage. Have used it at home depot when it was insanely hot outside and the car was far.
The limit is 209 feet. (unfortunately, even in a 100% clear, flat parking lot clear of everything/everyone). Not sure if that was that far of a walk and would have most likely gotten you to the car quicker. lol