Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on dealership car question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DA8DA99B-8266-48DE-9D3F-74486925254A.png

I understand this question has been asked a million times. About to pull the trigger on a model 3 and dealer sent the above screenshots with proof of FSD being included.

2 questions.
Where did the dealer get the screenshot with the car details? I own a model S and I can’t seem to find it. Is it in car details?

If it says FSD on the car details (looks similar to the car details that Tesla shows on their website on their pre owned inventory) then FSD should stay after I change ownership of the vehicle, right?

The car was purchased at an auction, and I’ve already asked the dealership to see if they bought it from Tesla or not.

What are you guys thoughts?

Attachments

• 2825B54C-DECF-4725-8751-214FAC6BC1DB.jpeg
    2825B54C-DECF-4725-8751-214FAC6BC1DB.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 283
...Where did the dealer get the screenshot with the car details? I own a model S and I can’t seem to find it. Is it in car details?...
It's on your Tesla account webpage.

Here's mine:

1641364452767.png

If it says FSD on the car details (looks similar to the car details that Tesla shows on their website on their pre owned inventory) then FSD should stay after I change ownership of the vehicle, right?
In theory, FSD stays with the VIN, not associated with an owner, so, yes, but it's up to Tesla's policy because there's no such written policy that the public can access.

Upvote 0
If it passes through Tesla in any way (auction is usually a red flag) there has been cases that FSD gets removed a while after the auction finishes. It always involves a dealer buying a Tesla at an auction (where Tesla is the seller). Tesla likely sold the car for cheaper at the auction with such features removed (in the cases so far the dealers don't have paperwork from the auction that promises that FSD would remain, sometimes they have the original Monroney sticker but that's largely irrelevant).
Private party sales avoid this.

Long thread on this:
Tesla removing FSD from third-party dealers

You will see conflicting accounts in that thread. One that claimed a Tesla rep says that any car that passes through a third party dealer will get FSD/EAP removed (regardless if it passes through Tesla hands or not). Note in that case, the dealer (Carvana) did not advertise the car as having EAP (so they probably knew something the buyer didn't) and buyer bought it knowing that.

Then later in the thread someone bought a car that had FSD from a third party dealer and was able to retain it (car was bought from a private party by that dealer, not an auction). Dealer said Tesla rep says that as long as the car doesn't pass through Tesla hands, FSD/EAP does not get removed. So there are conflicting accounts depending on which rep you ask.

There are other cases, where Tesla does an "audit" on an ownership change and this may remove certain features (sometimes by mistake, sometimes on purpose if it is a case where Tesla ever had their hands on the vehicle).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it passes through Tesla in any way (auction is usually a red flag) there has been cases that FSD gets removed a while after the auction finishes. It always involves a dealer buying a Tesla at an auction (where Tesla is the seller). Tesla likely sold the car for cheaper at the auction with such features removed (in the cases so far the dealers don't have paperwork from the auction that promises that FSD would remain, sometimes they have the original Monroney sticker but that's largely irrelevant).
Private party sales avoid this.

Long thread on this:
Tesla removing FSD from third-party dealers

You will see conflicting accounts in that thread. One that claimed a Tesla rep says that any car that passes through a third party dealer will get FSD/EAP removed (regardless if it passes through Tesla hands or not). Note in that case, the dealer (Carvana) did not advertise the car as having EAP (so they probably knew something the buyer didn't) and buyer bought it knowing that.

Then later in the thread someone bought a car that had FSD from a third party dealer and was able to retain it (car was bought from a private party by that dealer, not an auction). Dealer said Tesla rep says that as long as the car doesn't pass through Tesla hands, FSD/EAP does not get removed. So there are conflicting accounts depending on which rep you ask.

There are other cases, where Tesla does an "audit" on an ownership change and this may remove certain features (sometimes by mistake, sometimes on purpose if it is a case where Tesla ever had their hands on the vehicle).
Dealership confirmed that the vehicle was purchased from a private seller by a non Tesla company, which was then sold to my dealership. So Tesla didn’t touch the vehicle at all. I also called a Tesla support rep and she was adamant that FSD would not be removed at all. She even left a note in my account asking me to call support again if they ever do take off FSD

Upvote 0
Dealership confirmed that the vehicle was purchased from a private seller by a non Tesla company, which was then sold to my dealership. So Tesla didn’t touch the vehicle at all. I also called a Tesla support rep and she was adamant that FSD would not be removed at all. She even left a note in my account asking me to call support again if they ever do take off FSD
Did you end up buying it? It seems you started a new thread, so no?

Upvote 0
Wait so did you get FSD to stay? I had the same issue I bought a used 2022 model 3 which had FSD and I called 2 times before buying to ensure it would stay on the car. I’m 10 days into owning the vehicle and FSD just disappeared. I called Tesla and they said nobody ever paid for the FSD feature and Tesla may have added it because the dealership opened it and to have it for test driving purposes.

Upvote 0
Wait so did you get FSD to stay? I had the same issue I bought a used 2022 model 3 which had FSD and I called 2 times before buying to ensure it would stay on the car. I’m 10 days into owning the vehicle and FSD just disappeared. I called Tesla and they said nobody ever paid for the FSD feature and Tesla may have added it because the dealership opened it and to have it for test driving purposes.
Did you get anything in writing declaring FSD to be a feature on the vehicle you were purchasing?

Upvote 0

There would have been no one you could have called to ensure it would stay with the car who could speak with any authority. It stays with the car if someone bought it with the car, AND sold it either directly to the dealership you bought it from, or another person directly.

You are new here so may not know this but there are lots of threads on this topic. If you bought a used 2022, it would have meant that the person who bought it paid 10 or even 12k for FSD, then sold the car directly to the dealership you bought it from.

Possible, but unlikely. They might have had the FSD subscription on it, which is why it it just disappeared (after the subscription ended). As to whether that should happen or not, we are not going to have that discussion in this thread, because its been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

One such thread has already been referenced. Here it is again:

If you want to join a discussion on that topic, please have that discussion in that thread.

Upvote 0
View attachment 752151
I understand this question has been asked a million times. About to pull the trigger on a model 3 and dealer sent the above screenshots with proof of FSD being included.

2 questions.
Where did the dealer get the screenshot with the car details? I own a model S and I can’t seem to find it. Is it in car details?

The car was purchased at an auction, and I’ve already asked the dealership to see if they bought it from Tesla or not.

What are you guys thoughts?
Hi.
Any update on this? Did you end up with FSD?

Upvote 0
Is some private data left in the car after selling it to another person?
If you don't erase your data, your next owner can access all that you left: from the taste of music, the taste of locations (Mustang Ranch, anyone?), to your Homelink to open your garage automatically...

It's easy to erase your data, just like a blank cell phone.

Isn’t it possible to change the user accounts in the car or something?

You can create/delete profiles in a Tesla car.

If you sell a Tesla car without removing that car from your account, your next owner can enjoy the free Supercharger, repairs, Tesla Shopping... paid by you. It's easy to remove your Tesla car before selling it.

Upvote 0
...good battery?
The technology of diagnosing your battery longevity is there, but whether it is practical for you is another issue.

I suppose it would be more expensive to change the battery than to buy another Tesla.

The cheapest Tesla is $46,990 plus fees and taxes.

A Model 3 battery replacement is reportedly as $15,000

That's a lot less than a new car.

Upvote 0