Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on older vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for those of you that have probably heard it a thousand times, apologies for this.
Say you have an absolute perfect condition 2017 model s 75d with only 22k on the clock. No apparent reason other than modern components to upgrade the vehicle. You have purchased the MCU 2 upgrade and are considering buying FSD.
Is there any obvious reason not to? With it not being transferable I wouldn’t want to waste the cash. If it is to stay with the car that would make me more inclined to keep the car as there appears no reason to change it other than the following. The only reason to upgrade the car is, what appears to me is newer (Who knows if it’s better) hardware and aesthetics.
Anyone able to shoot me down so I don’t have to bother you good people again.
Thanks

A question for those of you that have probably heard it a thousand times, apologies for this.
Say you have an absolute perfect condition 2017 model s 75d with only 22k on the clock. No apparent reason other than modern components to upgrade the vehicle. You have purchased the MCU 2 upgrade and are considering buying FSD.
Is there any obvious reason not to? With it not being transferable I wouldn’t want to waste the cash. If it is to stay with the car that would make me more inclined to keep the car as there appears no reason to change it other than the following. The only reason to upgrade the car is, what appears to me is newer (Who knows if it’s better) hardware and aesthetics.
Thanks
What do you mean by "with it not being transferable" because it 100% will transfer with the car to the next owner and the one after that and so on. That's the definition of transferable.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
Apologies…I meant it not being transferrable to my prospective new vehicle as it stays with the vehicle it was purchase for. I understand it being an enhancement for the current vehicle and therefore enhance the value so could therefore recoup the money and buy it along with a new vehicle. My question was more about doing so with a 2017 vehicle that is “as new”. I’m concerned that even though the car is “as new” and would have FSD it would still have technical limitations.

Thanks
The obvious reason not to buy FSD is that it simply doesn’t work and is a total waste of money.

If you have $$$ to burn and enjoy giving Tesla interest free loans for features that will never be delivered during the life of your vehicle, go for it.

The obvious reason not to buy FSD is that it simply doesn’t work and is a total waste of money.

If you have $$$ to burn and enjoy giving Tesla interest free loans for features that will never be delivered during the life of your vehicle, go for it.
This is the thing…my enhanced autopilot works well. The only FSD stuff I see is on YouTube and probably sponsored. It just appears as if more country’s and governments in particular seem to have addressed aspects of it this year making me think something is imminent.
You’re probably right though.

I have FSD and I use it daily. It’s pretty awesome actually. When engaged, the car automatically stops at stop signs and red lights, hit the blinker and it changes lanes when safe. Takes me from freeway to freeway. It serves my needs. I have enhanced autopilot on the 3 and FSD on the S.

You know that FSD on your 2017 has serious issues currently? (Not being rolled out). You’ll need a camera upgrade, and even after the upgrade, FSD beta still not getting rolled out. I would strongly advise against getting FSD on the 2017 until they actually start rolling out FSD beta to the cars that did the mcu2 / AP3 / camera upgrades

This is the thing…my enhanced autopilot works well. The only FSD stuff I see is on YouTube and probably sponsored. It just appears as if more country’s and governments in particular seem to have addressed aspects of it this year making me think something is imminent.
You’re probably right though.
If you have EAP, then definitely don’t get it.

You already have summon and auto lane change which are really the only things that work on full-fledged FSD right now anyway.

And I can almost guarantee you will not get access to the beta program on a 2017 75D.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I have a late 2016 and I’m in the same boat. Elon is suppose to make it work for mcu1 but it looks like he’s ignoring everyone that ask about it. You need mcu2 to get fsd but you also need a camera upgrade which has been nearly impossible to get. You have to wait for Tesla to email you for the camera upgrade after you get mcu and enter the beta program. Even if you get everything. You have to drive like a granny for I don’t know how long and maybe you’ll get beta. It was suppose to be 100 miles and seven days. People have been keeping 99 and 100 safety score for months and haven’t gotten it yet. The backup is rediculous and i would suggest not getting the upgrade till Tesla really sorts this *sugar* show out. I really want beta and it’s looking great lately but personally. I’m waiting. Besides, Elon said all necessary hardware included. If he can’t make it work for mcu1 at wide release. There’s gonna be a issue!!

Reactions: Turchard