Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price drop to $3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some cars were offered/purchased without any AP at all right? It was an option for buyers to purchase or decline right?

I don’t believe EAP is an option to purchase at all any more unless a vehicle already has it.

So for those AP 2+ cars currently with zero AP is the only option FSD or can they buy basic AP? What are respective prices for those?

It would be cool if Tesla would sell an 'intermediate' option. Something like:

-basic AP only
-mid: EAP
-FSD

On the other hand I sort of understand why they don't do that. Otherwise no-one would buy FSD when they realize they pay basically for ...nothing at this point.

I would gladly pay a bit more for the working features but $6-$7k for the whole package out of which half are vaporware, no thank you!
This is exactly the same as pre-purchasing video games. You're buying something which may or may not work, may or may not come when promised... Whoever came up with this scheme should have a special place in hell.

I just don't get the difference between AP and EAP. I do understand the difference as it stands right now, but back then some cars were sold as AP and some EAP, and apparently right now that distinction matters if you wanna buy FSD. But I don't really understand what the actual difference is.

From AP2.0 up until this year when basic Autopilot became standard, there were always just two options about it: Autopilot and FSD. At some point they referred to Autopilot as EAP but it sounds to me as if that was just a nomenclature difference.

When I purchased the car back in October there were only 2 options, EAP (enhanced AP) and FSD (Full self driving). I haven't gone back to look at my invoice, but if I recall correctly, EAP was summon and the promise of enhanced summon, self parking, TACC, and the ability to follow the lane, and change lanes simply by signaling the lane change. The car would keep the speed, keep the distance, follow curves and when you signal, would change lanes. This is what I purchased and it has been fantastic where it is intended to be used (on the highway).
FSD which was an additional option (maybe CDN$6K at the time?) was a more vague promise of exactly that, full self driving.
When Navigate on Autopilot came out that was part of the EAP package. The only item that is still "outstanding" to be delivered as part of the original EAP, is advanced summon.
Tesla subsequently got rid of EAP and unbundled the features taking some of the "valuable and useful" EAP features, and moved them into what they are now calling FSD.

Reactions: GeoX750
I just don't get the difference between AP and EAP. I do understand the difference as it stands right now, but back then some cars were sold as AP and some EAP, and apparently right now that distinction matters if you wanna buy FSD. But I don't really understand what the actual difference is.

From AP2.0 up until this year when basic Autopilot became standard, there were always just two options about it: Autopilot and FSD. At some point they referred to Autopilot as EAP but it sounds to me as if that was just a nomenclature difference.

From @Troy (use it to look at features, ignore the pricing since it's no longer valid):

kGamnw2.png

Think less of AP, EAP and FSD being features. They're just a collection of features. AP comes with 2 of them and you can get the rest and future features by upgrading to FSD. EAP came with all of the features currently released, but you'll need to upgrade to FSD for the new features that are coming.

They're different bundles of the same features, but Tesla controls how they sell them. Right now, they sell AP and FSD. The only reason the upgrade from EAP to FSD is cheaper than the upgrade from AP to FSD, is because EAP contains all the features that are currently released and part of FSD.

From @Troy (use it to look at features, ignore the pricing since it's no longer valid):

kGamnw2.png

But see though - there's no "Just AP" option before 2019. If you got a non-FSD Autopilot, you just got EAP.

Let me ask a very specific question that will go into the heart of the matter:

After AP2 came out, and before 2019 , was there any AP related option you could buy that would not give you NoA (a feature closely associated with AP/EAP differences) today?

Could you have bought some sort of Autopilot during 2018 that would today NOT give you NoA?

EAP has a number of features that are not available in the current AP and are only available in the current FSD.

If you buy today, and you want some of the features that were previously available in what they called EAP (NoA summon and parking) you now need to buy FSD.

Because I have and paid for EAP, and therefore I already have NoA, summon and parking, it would not "make sense" to charge $6K for what they are currently calling FSD because I already have the majority of those features in EAP. What I don't have, and would presumably get with FSD, is HW3 and traffic light recognition.

Someone who only has AP, but buys FSD gets a lot more (NoA, summon, parking, HW3, traffic light recognition, when available) because AP (as it currently exists) has a much more limited feature set than what one would get with EAP.

EAP has a number of features that are not available in the current AP and are only available in the current FSD.

If you buy today, and you want some of the features that were previously available in what they called EAP (NoA summon and parking) you now need to buy FSD.

Because I have and paid for EAP, and I already have NoA, summon and parking, it would not "make sense" to charge $6K for what they are currently calling FSD because I already have the majority of those features in EAP. What I don't have, and would presumably get with FSD, is HW3 and traffic light recognition.

Someone who only has AP, but buys FSD gets a lot more (NoA, summon, parking, HW3, traffic light recognition, when available).

I get that completely. But as I said, on the build sheet of the 2018 inventory car I am getting it says AP - $3,000 and FSD - $5,000.

If I remove FSD I should have the features a person who paid for Autopilot in 2018 would get, shouldn't I? And that'd be the regular NoA stuff. But I probably won't.

Yeah that's what it looks like, even though if someone had bought the same car without FSD and I bought it from them privately, I would have NoA
Tesla has control over their vehicles (new, inventory, pre-owned) - such as the whole Free Supercharging (which was no longer supposed to exist, but, was brought back)... Then, on the vehicles that were supposed to have Free Supercharging for life, they removed them (Tesla Pre Owned vehicles)...

You can only go by what the vehicle has listed... If it has AP, you get the two features assistance features listed in that chart, and can add FSD for the rest at the higher price ($6k).
If it has EAP (which was discontinued), you can now add FSD for the $3k price, instead of $6k.

If you have nothing activated, only AP + FSD is available now.

You can not get a refund of any purchased features, so, no possibility to downgrade (at least post-delivery, from the wording on the website).

Tesla can take any of their inventory vehicles and change their software licensed/activated options on them before they sell them. They discontinued EAP, yet, still have inventory cars with EAP (they could have easily marked them as AP, or FSD - but with EAP listed, it gives them a potential for selling FSD to the customer). I purchased my X a couple of weeks ago (new inventory) with EAP - will probably not upgrade to FSD as I will be paying for nothing other than a possibility of future features and future hardware upgrade.

A private party sale is subject to whatever that owner had (or didn't have).. If they had AP, then, $6k FSD is your only route. If they had EAP, then $3k is your FSD option. If they had nothing, then, $3k AP + $6k FSD is your way.

Hmm. trying to figure out my situation on that flow chart...

In May 2019 I bought a December 2018 inventory car.
Purchase agreement shows $3k Autopilot option.
I have Navigate on Autopilot.
My Tesla account shows $6000 upgrade price for FSD.

You probably have EAP with an incorrectly listed purchase agreement.. When I was looking to purchase an X in April, the overnight loaner I had included EAP (on the Monroney sticker).. When I asked for the quote on that X after I returned in, they had listed it with AutoPilot, but, they said that it would still go out with EAP, rather than AP features.

The problem, I guess, is what you're facing now - you probably do have EAP, but, to get to FSD, would pay the AP->FSD upgrade price.

Tesla's back-end systems are not error-proof.. Just ask the few of us that have had multiple charges, and no records in Tesla's system (having to rely on credit card disputes since Tesla can't refund something that didn't enter their reservation system).

I feel your pain... I’m in the same situation. Have you made any calls or talked to anyone at Tesla?
I haven’t had much luck convincing them that I should get the $3k price. I even asked them to take a look at the car to confirm it has EAP

Man I am in the same boat. My MVPA shows $3,000 AP and $5,000 FSD options. I don't really care about FSD since it's not a real thing. But I do love the idea of NoA. I could get the FSD removed from my purchase to save $5,000 but I just can't be sure if it will have NoA or not. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could make sure I'd still have NoA

Man I am in the same boat. My MVPA shows $3,000 AP and $5,000 FSD options. I don't really care about FSD since it's not a real thing. But I do love the idea of NoA. I could get the FSD removed from my purchase to save $5,000 but I just can't be sure if it will have NoA or not. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could make sure I'd still have NoA

Have you actually purchased and taken delivery of the car yet? From the sound of your questions, it seems you are trying to decide what to buy. LostWages and I have purchased and taken delivery of the car and are trying to figure out how to upgrade from an out of sync set of configurations.

I don’t want to diminish your concerns, but the two issues are not intertwined.