Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase disincentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know some may disagree but I felt led to expect that the option would remain 4,000 for my VIN at least is I decided not to purchase before delivery

Well, Electrek are reporting that Tesla say the price change was not intended to apply to current owners so you may get your wish.

Personally I still don't feel that they are obliged to hold that price forever, but it does seem they are going to give you what you wanted...

Well, Electrek are reporting that Tesla say the price change was not intended to apply to current owners so you may get your wish.

Personally I still don't feel that they are obliged to hold that price forever, but it does seem they are going to give you what you wanted...
Well to each their own. I will report it's saying 5,000 in MyTesla profile

I hit buy and yes it showed 5K but I have sent a note to tesla support to ensure they will honor the $4k price ( mine is a 2017MS july AP2 delivery) I honestly looked at it just a couple of days ago and was going to pull the trigger then). I thought I still had about a month before V9 and an FSD roll out ( in elon time I thought I had 3-6 months) . I use EAP a lot and it has a way togo too . Man this better be good. , But if some FSD items come in "beta" increments ( Virginia wont approved full self driving for a while) AND it is still $4k I'll be okay with it.

I think the FSD price increase is a sign that Tesla expects a hardware upgrade will be necessary. The additional price will help offset the costs of the upgrades to those drivers.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about this change. I've long given up on the chances that I'll be able to use FSD on my current vehicle. I do have high hopes for Tesla, but I don't think they will have FSD ready in a mature enough state in the next few years that I plan on owning my current Tesla. Heck, I'd be happy if they can deliver all of the promised EAP features early enough that I can enjoy a few good years of use out of them before I replace my car! On my next car, maybe I'll get FSD, but it'll really depend on the state of development at the time I'm making the purchasing decision.

I think the FSD price increase is a sign that Tesla expects a hardware upgrade will be necessary.

I think it’s more a short term money grab/long term hardware upgrade play. Before I would forgo getting FSD when the penalty is only $1K after the fact.

Now, If I’m ordering a new car, I’m more tempted to buy FSD at the time of order knowing I would save $2K. I would absolutely buy it at the time of order if it ended up being $3k+ more after delivery. It encourages people to buy it up front.

Reactions: Sonic_78 and Shaggy
I think the FSD price increase is a sign that Tesla expects a hardware upgrade will be necessary. The additional price will help offset the costs of the upgrades to those drivers.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about this change. I've long given up on the chances that I'll be able to use FSD on my current vehicle. I do have high hopes for Tesla, but I don't think they will have FSD ready in a mature enough state in the next few years that I plan on owning my current Tesla. Heck, I'd be happy if they can deliver all of the promised EAP features early enough that I can enjoy a few good years of use out of them before I replace my car! On my next car, maybe I'll get FSD, but it'll really depend on the state of development at the time I'm making the purchasing decision.
No hardware upgrade is needed. Elon promised that

I agree.

The price to purchase when I bought my car was $3000 before delivery or $4000 after. I made a conscious decision to save some money on vaporware at the time with an acceptable $1000 penalty for adding it later. Now, the penalty’s become $2000, which is a bigger pill to swallow. This isn’t a good way to treat existing owners who are all, essentially, the early adopters putting up with all the bugs and issues as the company finds its footing.
It's been a consistent Tesla policy for a long time time. It applies to items that go down in price as well as up. For example when the Model S 60->75 upgrade prices went down, it changed for current owners as well ($9.5K to $2K). AP1 post delivery price went up after it was done as well.

It's been a consistent Tesla policy for a long time time. It applies to items that go down in price as well as up. For example when the Model S 60->75 upgrade prices went down, it changed for current owners as well ($9.5K to $2K). AP1 post delivery price went up after it was done as well.

I agree but one small clarification. The $9500 price was for Model X and it only dropped to $4500 (though it might have dropped again later?). The Model S was only $7k and dropped to $2k.

Assuming it doesn't make a lot of sense to purchase FSD on a leased vehicle but interested in hearing thoughts.
That’s a hard decision:

Obviously if the features don’t arrive in time you’re totally out that part of your lease payment.

But if you buy after delivery you pay 100% of the option price rather than 50%-ish.

So you definitely should not regret not prepurchasing an option on a lease :)

• Informative
Reactions: isjka
That's not true. In fact quite the opposite. I'm not sure you're being sarcastic or barking mad :)

Elon says hardware is likely insufficient even for hw2.5.
That's not true. In fact quite the opposite. I'm not sure you're being sarcastic or barking mad :)

Elon says hardware is likely insufficient even for hw2.5.
When I go to the tesla autopilot page it reads: All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability

I agree but one small clarification. The $9500 price was for Model X and it only dropped to $4500 (though it might have dropped again later?). The Model S was only $7k and dropped to $2k.
Actually it was $9.5K ($9K pre-delivery) before November 2016, then price of 60's went up by $2K and the upgrade (even for those who bought before the increase) went down to $7K, then it dropped to $2K. I'm not sure about the X history, but that's why I only talked about the S.

PS> I had one, held out until it dropped to $2K, but initial price was $9K + $500 post delivery premium.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
When I go to the tesla autopilot page it reads: All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability

Dude, your information is two years out of date.

Tesla could have to offer computer retrofits to all Autopilot 2.0 and 2.5 cars by the end of next year

At this year's Q1 conference call, Elon said: "maybe is probably needed is a computer upgrade to have more processing power."

The Tesla AP page was written in 2016. It's clear what's happening here is that as Tesla continues development, they're realizing that computing power is insufficient so they're slowly making roads in the hardware upgrade direction. First a semi-confirmation from Elon (is it more "maybe" or more "probably"?), then the pricing changes, and eventually I would expect a formal announcement.

Also, could this price change be coincident with a silent AP3 hardware suite release? AP2.5 was released last year, AP2 was released in 2016. Given the pace of tech innovation, especially in GPUs, I'd expect another generation of hardware to come out this year.

If I wouldn't pay $8,000 for AP/FSD for my brand new $75,000 car, how likely is it that five years later I would pay $11,000 for AP/FSD for my aging $30,000 car?

Probably depends more on how long you plan to keep it than the current market price of the used car. If you are 4 years in and plan to keep for another 10, it might make sense. I do take your point, though.

It would be nice if you could “take the FSD with you” when buying a new Tesla, by deactivating it on the old car and enable on the new one. At first one might think that is unprofitable to do that but I imagine a lot more people would purchase it for their aging cars if it could be transferred to the new one. It would also remove the reluctance tobuy a new Tesla if onehad spent money on the older one to enable FSD. They might offer it as just a 1 time transfer to one new car. I think it could stay with the owner, not the car. They already explored that with the free supercharging, I was told it would follow me to any new Tesla I buy and not stay with the car. I don't know if they're still doing that, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Snowstorm
Actually it was $9.5K ($9K pre-delivery) before November 2016, then price of 60's went up by $2K and the upgrade (even for those who bought before the increase) went down to $7K, then it dropped to $2K. I'm not sure about the X history, but that's why I only talked about the S.

PS> I had one, held out until it dropped to $2K, but initial price was $9K + $500 post delivery premium.
I thought the difference between the X60D and the X75D was around $74k to $84k for the base models before it was discontinued in October 2016. I remember that I would have purchased the X if the entry level price was still $74k, but the jump from $66k to $84k to go from the S60 to the X75D was too much to swallow.