Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price increase in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More realistically you’re looking at 5-10 years

You're right. Still, ultimately this would still be quicker, more universal, more efficient, safer and ultimately more reliable than hoping each individual car company will somehow have a magical technological breakthrough, then making us all pay a fortune for it. V2I does work, and it does work today - so it's an adoption issue, rather than a technology one (hence my frustration - we already know how to do this, but people aren't working together to actually do it).

I have EAP. so my car already does almost all the things FSD can do in the UK.

EAP was an ok compromise when it existed. It no longer exists as an option for new cars. My biggest issue with the "FSD" debacle is that buying a car today means you have to pay £8000 for auto-park.

Auto-park is not "Full Self Driving". As far as we know it doesn't even use the cameras. So, the fact they lump it in with this £8000 is utter madness.

NoA and Smart Summon are pointless in the UK, and the other features like traffic light "detection" and all the auto-lane change stuff don't work here anyway. But, auto-park is a basic feature that you find on nearly every other new car. If you're buying a £90k Model S, I don't really see why you should have to pay £8k to add auto-park. They should just make that standard.

Also, auto park doesn’t even work properly! It needs a 10ft wide space according to the manual (good luck finding one of those) and if it does pick up a narrower space for some reason it’s incredibly slow and normally stops with the nose a foot outside the line so you have to manually reverse anyway.

TBH it’s a total waste of money for now, unless you do a LOT of motorway miles. I regret getting it.

I have EAP. so my car already does almost all the things FSD can do in the UK.

absolutely correct.

However I bought mine inventory which should have had EAP for the build year but Tesla removed it and it just has AP, Tesla had only just started pulling this particular stunt so I was unaware they were downgrading car's functionality. Caveat Emptor as always with Tesla.

Do I miss the extra stuff - not one jot.
As I said above the UK/EU regulators have compromised the enhanced features to the point they are mostly pointless here.

This week saw the update of my S from AP2.5 to AP3 (with MCU1), with the net result of a period of retraining and slightly smoother IC render. However, what I can see coming soon to the UK are safety-related concerns of give-ways, traffic lights and stop lines plus speed limit detection. Particularly speed limit is something I've love the car to handle better than the awful TomTom database used now. I saw my FSD purchase as mostly donating to the cause though, as auto-park and summon are fairly worthless at present, though auto lane change on manual request if available is better than the alternate.