Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price increase on Jan 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...And price will continue to increase as Tesla gets closer to the production release...
Will MobilEye Consumer L4 be increased to match Tesla's price because the 2022 CES presentation says "Cost <$5K" for 2024/2025?

1641600218243.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
It's a dead end pricing strategy as take up rate is going to be even more dismal. I don't get their plan as they're so far away from a level 4/5 ADAS. At some point, they'll have to realize that the only way they'll expand their revenue is by lowering the price which would really piss off those that paid top dollars. The other explanation is that they're basically pushing everyone to the $200 a month subscription as a way to boost recurring revenue. In the short term though, it looks like they're going to spend a ton of money on FSD and not generate much marginal revenue out of it.

Will MobilEye Consumer L4 will be increased to match Tesla's price because the 2022 CES presentation says "Cost <$5K" for 2024/2025?

I think Mobileye would be smart to undercut Tesla and keep the price below Tesla's price, especially if the production version of Tesla's FSD is still L2. If the choice is between Tesla's L2 FSD for $12k or Mobileye's L4 for $5k, most people will go with Mobileye IMO. Even if Tesla's production version FSD was L4, I think most people would still go with Mobileye. Why pay $12k for L4 when you can get it for $5k? Of course, that is assuming the two products are comparable. If say Mobileye's L4 does not work as well as Tesla's FSD or has a smaller ODD, then consumers could see Tesla's FSD as a better deal even though it is more expensive.

And we should remember that Elon said the price would increase until production version and we are not at production version yet. So I think there is a very good chance that the final production version of FSD will be even more than $12k.

I think Elon's rationale for the price increase is that he thinks FSD will be significantly safer than human driving this year and that Tesla will be first to market. So people will be happy to shell out $12k or more for that kind of safety that they can't get anywhere else yet. Elon may also be assuming production version of FSD will be good enough for robotaxis everywhere and therefore people will be willing to pay $12k up front in order to make 5x more in robotaxi revenue. Obviously, if Elon is right and Tesla is first to market with robotaxis everywhere that are significantly safer than human driving, then yes $12k might work. But those are a lot of assumptions. Sure, when there is no competition, you can raise the price. But once other companies like Mobileye offer similar or better safety for less, people will go with the cheaper option. It's basic economics. That's assuming Tesla does release the production version this year. If Tesla is delayed that could change things. Mobileye's L4 is only 2 years away. So if Mobileye is first to market with consumer L4, then there is no way Tesla will be able to sell FSD for $12k or more. Tesla would need to lower their price to stay competitive with Mobileye.

Ultimately, there are a lot of unknowns:
- Will Tesla's production release of FSD be L2 or L4?
- Will Tesla be first to market?
- Will it be a robotaxi?
- How much safer than human driving will FSD be?
- Mobileye's L4 is at least 2 years away. A lot can happen in 2 years.

I think Mobileye would be smart to undercut Tesla and keep the price below Tesla's price, especially if the production version of Tesla's FSD is still L2. If the choice is between Tesla's L2 FSD for $12k or Mobileye's L4 for $5k, most people will go with Mobileye IMO. Even if Tesla's production version FSD was L4, I think most people would still go with Mobileye. Why pay $12k for L4 when you can get it for $5k?

Just to be clear, the slide says $5K "cost", and in the video he states the price to the consumer should be $10K MSRP, so the BoM (bill of materials) needs to be below $5K. I'm interpreting the BoM to be the automaker's cost, i.e. what it pays to Mobileye - but possibly he could've meant Mobileye's own cost to manufacture.

In any case, no consumer would be getting Mobileye L4 for only $5K in 2024/2025.

Just to be clear, the slide says $5K "cost", and in the video he states the price to the consumer should be $10K MSRP, so the BoM (bill of materials) needs to be below $5K. I'm interpreting the BoM to be the automaker's cost, i.e. what it pays to Mobileye - but possibly he could've meant Mobileye's own cost to manufacture.

In any case, no consumer would be getting Mobileye L4 for only $5K in 2024/2025.

Thanks for the correction. I still think it will be a price war. Let's say Mobileye's L4 is $10k and Tesla's FSD ends up being $15k for the production release. At $10k, Mobileye can still undercut Tesla.

Reactions: okcazure
Is there anyway to test drive the current mobile eye system?

If you own a Zeekr001 in China, you should get OTA updates this year with SuperVision AFAIK. So those owners will get to use the vision-only "L2+" version of Mobileye's FSD soon. L4 is not available yet although I think Mobileye is planning to launch L4 robotaxis in Tel Aviv and Munich this year or next.

• Informative
Reactions: TresLA
If you own a Zeekr001 in China, you should get OTA updates this year with SuperVision AFAIK. So those owners will get to use the vision-only "L2+" version of Mobileye's FSD soon. L4 is not available yet although I think Mobileye is planning to launch L4 robotaxis in Tel Aviv and Munich this year or next.
if theyre literally launching robotaxis this year, tesla fsd is toast. unless something crazy is coming out, it doesnt seem tesla fsd can even drive a simple route to work without intervention

I don't think you can have faith in the price of any self driving package projected to be available 2-3 years from now.

I agree which is why I said that there are too many unknowns. It is really impossible to predict at this point what Tesla's FSD will be, what it's price will be, and what Mobileye's L4 will be and what it's price will be, 2-3 years from now.

My friend bought FSD when it was 5K Enhanced autopilot + 2K FSD upgrade total of 7k, 3 years ago. While he still enjoys driving his model 3, his biggest regret was buying that FSD.
I also was lucky to test drive FSD for a while during end of 2020 year end push promotion. The ONLY things I used was automatic lane change. Auto park gave me some lovely rim curb rash. Summon ran into my trash can. a plastic bag caused the car to slam on the brake going 80 on a highway. So yea, I'm not paying for this FSD.

My friend bought FSD when it was 5K Enhanced autopilot + 2K FSD upgrade total of 7k, 3 years ago. While he still enjoys driving his model 3, his biggest regret was buying that FSD.
I also was lucky to test drive FSD for a while during end of 2020 year end push promotion. The ONLY things I used was automatic lane change. Auto park gave me some lovely rim curb rash. Summon ran into my trash can. a plastic bag caused the car to slam on the brake going 80 on a highway. So yea, I'm not paying for this FSD.
Does your friend have the same FSD that everybody else has today even though it was 3 years ago? i guess im wondering if tesla even supports his older hardware and if tesla is honoring his fsd even though he paid for it so long ago

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Does your friend have the same FSD that everybody else has today even though it was 3 years ago? i guess im wondering if tesla even supports his older hardware and if tesla is honoring his fsd even though he paid for it so long ago
His computer was upgraded to FSD computer for free. There's no reason trying to defend Tesla, sorry if you're not. My friend and I both have multiple Teslas, and love the cars. It's just when it comes to FSD...... We joke all the time that if he had put his money in tesla stock instead of the FSD, he could afford to buy a Model S plaid today.

I have FSD on my 2018 M3 (April delivery) with the upgraded computer. I think I added it at some point when it was on sale.

I am still waiting for it to work. When will I be able to have my car take me to a destination and take a nap or read email, or use my car as a Robo Taxi?

We have a model Y on order for delivery in March, and have not purchased FSD. Tesla makes great Electric cars, but I am starting to think that Tesla should be paying us to be beta testers, not selling us FSD that doesn't work for $12K.