Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price reduced, Musk says it is too cheap now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried it for the free trial with my new Y and already turned it off. Completely stressful. Does crazy weird things. Accelerates and brakes way to quick for comfort. Found myself worrying what weird dangerous thing it was going to do. Not relaxing at all. Like letting a 15 year old drive for the first time.
Everyone goes through that. It's a temporary phenomenon. The people who stick with it (usually because they own a copy) find that the car doesn't drive the way they drive (this seems to be one of the biggest hurdles), that there are plenty of things that it does poorly, that there are some things that it does well, and the fact that it does some stuff well means that it can be a useful tool.

For me, it's a couple steps beyond cruise control, which was a feature that I used every chance I got. FSD keeps a lane beautifully, handles stopping and starting, and even allows me to tell it when to change lanes, which it does well. I don't tend to use it for any situation where it has to 'negotiate' with people. Four way stops, pedestrians, tight roads, etc. Where I drive it can do those things, but not well enough that other people think that there's a competent and considerate driver in control.

? FSD just changes when it wants to (as far as I can tell)
I turn on Minimize Lane Changes* so that the only times the car gets to change lanes is when it has to follow its route. When I really don't want to mess with it at all, I'll turn on FSD without a destination. Then it follows whatever road or highway I'm on and never changes lanes unless I tell it to. When I'm ready to leave the current road or highway, I disengage FSD, move to the new road and engage again. Like I said, it's a tool. It has useful functions, and we can use them as we see fit.

*Minimize Lane Changes is accessed by making any change to your preferred driving 'assertiveness'. So right click the right control on the steering wheel and a little window will pop up at the bottom left of the center display. It will show you your changed assertiveness setting and also show a button for Minimize Lane Changes. Make sure that's on and you're good to go. Note that the setting reverts to "off" at the start of each drive, so you have to set it each time.

I turn on Minimize Lane Changes* so that the only times the car gets to change lanes is when it has to follow its route. When I really don't want to mess with it at all, I'll turn on FSD without a destination. Then it follows whatever road or highway I'm on and never changes lanes unless I tell it to. When I'm ready to leave the current road or highway, I disengage FSD, move to the new road and engage again. Like I said, it's a tool. It has useful functions, and we can use them as we see fit.

*Minimize Lane Changes is accessed by making any change to your preferred driving 'assertiveness'. So right click the right control on the steering wheel and a little window will pop up at the bottom left of the center display. It will show you your changed assertiveness setting and also show a button for Minimize Lane Changes. Make sure that's on and you're good to go. Note that the setting reverts to "off" at the start of each drive, so you have to set it each time.
This is really interesting actually. So you can just let it drive around with no destination, and sort of feel your way across town? I was just thinking about this today. What if I don't know the address, or the street, but I just always feel my way, I know the route when I get there? If it's backed up that minute in the right lane, I turn a block early?

I might actually subscribe for a month to check that out.
All this time I thought it was a silly joke, but hmmm, IDK.

So you can just let it drive around with no destination, and sort of feel your way across town?
I don't know what "feel your way across town" means, but the car will follow a lane without having a destination. If there is a neighboring lane, you can use your turn signal to move into it. The car will then follow wherever that lane goes. I haven't tried getting into dedicated turn lanes in cities to see if the car will take those turns. NHTSA insists that the car should, but I have no idea how well Tesla implements that.

I kind wish when it was in that mode if you put the blinker on it would turn down the street that direction but alas no.
I have the same wish. I brought up that idea a while back and got zero traction on it. For some reason, the idea of collaborating with a car to get around just doesn't resonate.

Reactions: cdub and OxBrew
I don't know what "feel your way across town" means, but the car will follow a lane without having a destination. If there is a neighboring lane, you can use your turn signal to move into it. The car will then follow wherever that lane goes. I haven't tried getting into dedicated turn lanes in cities to see if the car will take those turns. NHTSA insists that the car should, but I have no idea how well Tesla implements that.

I have the same wish. I brought up that idea a while back and got zero traction on it. For some reason, the idea of collaborating with a car to get around just doesn't resonate.
Feel your way across town: avoid traffic on the fly. If you know a whole city, but not the names of all the streets, you adjust on the fly if your main route has bad traffic.

IDK, I agree though, a collaborative hybrid mode would make me at least test it. I think it would keep me more engaged too, ready to take over.

Reactions: cdub