Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD purchased with vehicle or post delivery - does it matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Side note, I often wonder if the FULL SELF DRIVE (or any upgrade) was account bound, NOT fixed to the car - if more people would opt in. It might even be a good business model option, as like APPLE, it's a Tesla investment for the long haul, not just a temporary car upgrade if you intend to follow the tech and upgrade your car every 3 or 4 years. It almost ties people in to keeping a Tesla and not jumping to a competitor (if you've invested 10k for account upgrades that filter down to a selected car if you have multiple)...

Having to buy it for every car is a huge kicker.

It's 25% of a US model 3 but 10% of a model S.

Currently it's $200 a month so I expect FSD full price will be closer to the 10 year cost because it'll never be "finished" it will require a huge expensive team to maintain it and that requires regular revenue.

I absolutely will get Enhanced Auto Pilot. Decision I have made AFTER getting the car I have set aside funds for this. To me EAP makes more sense for us, but probably not for a lot of people. For me, the extra driving assists help complete the car, but the main reason is auto park. We have a very tight squeezy carport to garage down the side of our house. Manual park is fine, but you can't get the doors open without exhaling air and doing a limbo to get in / out. Summon lets the car park itself, and bring itself out on to the driveway. This also generates a huge and significant security addition. Even without the perimeter proximity alarms, and CCTV, if it's hard to get in to physically it's a bonus!

Full Self Drive though, I know the consensus is that it is not value for money in the UK. You'd use the Enhanced features, but full self drive, it's not even possible legally.. yet. Most likely, you'll be on car #2 or #3 before FSD is approved in the UK, and your premium package stays with your car NOT your account.
But does autopark actually work ?

But does autopark actually work ?
ahaha YES, it was something I was cynical about. Until we tested it. I asked in local community group if anyone had a Tesla with auto park to test... Rolled up to my drive, the lad jumped out, closed the door and the bloody thing crept off and parked itself under the car port flawlessly.

I'm like 😵😵‍💫😮😲

Smiled at me and said quite calmly... It's a Tesla.

He used his phone to then recall the car which reversed out and on to the drive, talked for a while and took off back down the road.

I hear so many nightmares and dud tests on youtube, it's a Tesla meme that it can't park on auto. All I can say it did when we did it !

After this, I committed to purchasing it aftermarket. Didn't want it slapped on the PCP.

Right ! Jolly good.
ahaha YES, it was something I was cynical about. Until we tested it. I asked in local community group if anyone had a Tesla with auto park to test... Rolled up to my drive, the lad jumped out, closed the door and the bloody thing crept off and parked itself under the car port flawlessly.

I'm like 😵😵‍💫😮😲

Smiled at me and said quite calmly... It's a Tesla.

He used his phone to then recall the car which reversed out and on to the drive, talked for a while and took off back down the road.

I hear so many nightmares and dud tests on youtube, it's a Tesla meme that it can't park on auto. All I can say it did when we did it !
Right ! Jolly good. At least that bit works. 😌
After this, I committed to purchasing it aftermarket. Didn't want it slapped on the PCP.

It's a new auto park using the cameras instead of the proximity sensors now I believe... seen plenty of fail videos of it on YouTube but not many successful ones! Still, you'd expect Tesla to improve it over time.

Autopark would be the clincher for me to get EAP if I believed it would work in reality. But I know that the biggest difficulty with parallel parking in busy towns is doing everything you can to make it clear to the car behind that you're planning to park so they should give you space to do it. All manner of slowing, and clearly indicating your intentions doesn't seem to work with people most of the time. I'm not convinced that adding in delays while you trigger the autopark on the screen and for the car to start manoeuvring is going to help.

I may still get the EAP for the lane changing though. But only because from videos I've seen it looks like to change lanes without it you have to disengage AutoPilot then manually reengage it every time you do a lane change otherwise which I reckon would annoy me. On the VW ID.3 I'm selling I think they have it set up much better. When you indicate to change lanes, the lane-keeping briefly turns off to let you do it but then automatically reengages after you've completed the change.

Of course, I could be wrong about the way the Tesla works, I'm just getting this from trying to figure out what's happening in videos.

Setting aside all other reasons to buy or not buy FSD, here in the USA, many states the annual registration renewal cost is based on the initial purchase price of the car and then gradually lowers over the years as the value of the car becomes less. Therefore, I know owners whom added FSD after delivery and registration. I'm not sure how it works in England. Maybe that is not the case. Just a thought.

Setting aside all other reasons to buy or not buy FSD, here in the USA, many states the annual registration renewal cost is based on the initial purchase price of the car and then gradually lowers over the years as the value of the car becomes less. Therefore, I know owners whom added FSD after delivery and registration. I'm not sure how it works in England. Maybe that is not the case. Just a thought.
Not quite like it in the UK. In fact a Tesla / EV shirk many of the ICE running costs, tax included. We get crap like congestion charge / low emissions zone charges etc etc. Run an EV and it goes moot. The base price of the car doesn't make any difference.

It's all totally different in the UK. I lived over there for a while and figuring out the differences between buying vehicles, and the mechanisms for giving the government a share of that between the US and the UK was one of the hardest things to wrap my head around. I have to say, much as I loved my time in America, and there are very many things you guys have figured out better than us, the DMV is not high up on the list of things I miss about America 😁

The US gets nuts subsidy though. The UK government is McScrooge.. In fact, recently slapped the EV subsidy to a lower threshold, because certain doogooder politicians complained that subsidising a Tesla was just like paying for, using government money to endorse 'rich persons play things' whilst the rest of the population had to suffer with ICE vehicles as EVs are out of scope for anyone not on £50,000,000,000 a day.

Oh well. My biggest fear is though, that Greta Thunberg will persuade Boris Johnson to scrap VAT on EVs 3 weeks after I pick mine up lol

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I loved my time in America, and there are very many things you guys have figured out better than us, the DMV is not high up on the list of things I miss about America 😁
Amen on that. DMV has a bad reputation here in many high population areas for being slow, making mistakes, hard to deal with, etc. Fortunately my DMV is not one of those and I do everything remotely. Thanks for the info on how things work there. Likewise, I loved my time in London (except for the rain). That was long ago. Nice people and culture, yet never quite understood some of the jokes, and likewise they didn't get mine. Cheers. :)

I may still get the EAP for the lane changing though. But only because from videos I've seen it looks like to change lanes without it you have to disengage AutoPilot then manually reengage it every time you do a lane change otherwise which I reckon would annoy me.
I have been looking out for this. Interestingly happened to clinch this whilst eating some noodle last night.

It's a vid I found fully going over V11. BUT he talks about AP, more specifically EAP, and lane changing. Looks to be many features that can be automated, such as lane changes, and how aggressive the car is allowed to snatch gaps. Have a gander and let me know thoughts. I genuinely had same impression as you, but this could change things. (wonder if any current owners can confirm?)..

I have been looking out for this. Interestingly happened to clinch this whilst eating some noodle last night.

It's a vid I found fully going over V11. BUT he talks about AP, more specifically EAP, and lane changing. Looks to be many features that can be automated, such as lane changes, and how aggressive the car is allowed to snatch gaps. Have a gander and let me know thoughts. I genuinely had same impression as you, but this could change things. (wonder if any current owners can confirm?)..
Yeah, I saw that video the other day... clearly those of us on this forum impatiently awaiting our M3s to arrive are living parallel lives in consoling ourselves by watching YouTube videos in the meantime! 😆

I think, if my understanding is right, first thing to note in watching that video is that the chap is American and Teslas are allowed to do more stuff for you in the US than in the UK. I believe I've heard that it is mandatory to confirm lane changes in the UK, so Tesla doesn't let you switch that setting off here.

The behaviour of the system that I think I've noticed by watching YouTube videos seems to be,
  • Basic AutoPilot: If you want to change lanes, you have to disengage AutoPilot in one of a few different ways, but at the very least when you steer into the other lane that steering input will cause AutoPilot to disengage. You then have to move the right stalk down twice to reengage when you're in the new lane. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but lane changes happen all the time on British roads and I bet I'll find it annoying having to manually reengage each time.
    • Incidentally, my VW does this better I think. If you indicate to change lanes, it disables the lane keeping stuff for a few seconds to let you do it, then reenables it for you again automatically as soon as you're in the new lane.
  • Enhanced AutoPilot (£3.4k extra!): If you want to change lanes, you indicate and the car will do it for you. The car will also suggest when to change lanes, which in the UK you have to confirm by indicating.
So it's that lane changing sounds like it will annoy me with Basic AutoPilot that might motivate me to get Enhanced AutoPilot. Not because I especially am desperate for the Enhanced AutoPilot stuff anyway. If Tesla had manual lane changes set to work the way VW do, I'd probably just keep Basic AutoPilot.

But of course, this is just me gleaning how this works by watching YouTube videos of people driving Teslas. It could just be that those people are doing an unnecessary step in manually reengaging AutoPilot every time because they haven't learnt their cars properly. In which case I could be wrong about all of the above!

It's probably reasonable to assume that without the EAP autopilot is just a smarter cruise control. That's how I'd see it. Cruise control with suggestions. I'd probably go so far as to disable lane change suggestions. So AP really is just adaptive cruise control. Getting a half baked AP / lane suggestion where you have to disengage AP then re-engage would probably be ok when used to it, but as I'll be getting EAP anyway for the drive summon / double tap park features, and auto park, it's probably worth it, especially if the mrs nabs it.. i'll be comforted that she can reverse park by pushing one button (lol).