Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD purchased with vehicle or post delivery - does it matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment about buying FSD after it is proven to offer benefit in the UK, there are plenty of recent videos of FSD beta being used in downtown US cities quite successfully, with the odd disengagement. Try watching some of the Tesla Daily ones on YouTube for example.
Yeah, I've seen a few where it drives like fairly competent 17 year old learner. I would be too embarrassed to be seen in the drivers seat. And anyway, what is the point when you have to spend all your time watching out for the dumb things it may or may not do ?

Yeah, I've seen a few where it drives like fairly competent 17 year old learner. I would be too embarrassed to be seen in the drivers seat. And anyway, what is the point when you have to spend all your time watching out for the dumb things it may or may not do ?

its a test. Its not available to everyone. So part of the test is you’re accepting the need to pay attention as its beta and not final.

I can't see why you want to buy it now, why not buy it when they've got it working ? I went for test drive in 2016, and it was supposed to be a year away. The vid's from American freeways and the deserted back streets of LA don't really prove a lot for me.
Because the price will increase the better it gets, I work in the world of AI and I know it will be worth every penny. For me it’s all part of the car so will get it included and I expect reap the rewards longer term

If you get EAP (worth it imho, but depends on your usage and technical sympathy ) then you half the price of FSD, seems a sensible middle ground. Currently FSD only adds annoyingly stopping at ALL lights (regardless of colour, you need to tell it to continue) and stop signs.

How quickly after buying EAP does it get unlocked in the car? I’m going on a long trip on collection day in the afternoon/evening. If I pop home for lunch after collecting it and buy EAP then, will it be ready in the car for my trip later that day? Or does it take a few days to apply to the car?

As regards whether getting the FSD option is worthwhile or not. I'm not in the camp that compares it to Bitcoin. (Or, rather, implies that you'll give Tesla money for which you'll get no return: i.e., it's a scam.)
  1. Tesla has promised that it's going to deliver autonomous vehicles. They've got tons of people working on it (what, 2000 on "recognition"?). They've got this Dojo complex coming on line, which will purportedly up the training speeds of the neural networks built into the computer. The cars themselves have duplex hardware (duplex high voltage connections, duplex processors, etc.) that are meant to safely bring the car to a halt in case of a failure, not something one would see if they weren't going to do full autonomous route. So, they're serious.
  2. Musk has personally said that the closer they get to the Full Deal, the more they're going to charge for FSD. And that's been happening. Back when I got a M3 in 2018, it was $2k. Now it's $10k and rising.
  3. Once the full deal appears, there's serious talk on Tesla's side about charging a lot more for the cars, period. Why sell a car for cheaps, when they can put the Full Deal FSD in it and use it for a taxi? By the by: I'm not making this up, this came out on Autonomy Day. The idea is that when you've got a car like this, you can send it on its way, daily, and let it do its Uber thing and make money for you.
  4. I dunno how it is in the U.K., but in the U.S. it's not uncommon for people to pay a builder to put up a house on what looks like a field, covered with weeds. One gets a discount for doing that, rather than waiting for the house to be complete and move-in ready. Before doing so, it's recommended that a potential buyer do some due diligence: Make sure that the builder is legit, there's bonds posted, contracts carefully gone over by lawyers, ask previous customers their experiences, and so on. (Yes, I've actually done this.. and am currently sitting in a house built and bought that way.) The way I figure, FSD is really no different. No, it's not ready, yet, but one can get it for a discount now.
  5. The real question is trust. Many people, especially people who Really don't want Tesla to succeed, throw up a lot of smoke about Tesla. And Musk, in particular. Funny talking guy who will never win any contests for ease of public speaking. On the other hand: This is a guy whose company is landing rockets and reusing them, something that a lot of nay-sayers kept on repeatedly saying couldn't be done. These are the same people who are currently watching their pockets get drained. My observation is that Musk tends to deliver. Admittedly on Elon time, but he gets there.
As you might imagine, I did put my money where my mouth is. Not right off, but when it was passing through $5k. The 2018 M3 got the G3 computer upgrade; it's got the auto-park (which does work); it's got Summon, which the SO and I played with in an empty parking lot shortly after getting the tool, and not since then; and we've been driving all over the eastern half of the US with the auto-nav/auto-steer/TACC on. It works. Still buggy sometimes (now and then, not too often, we get the infamous phantom braking, but not the emergency braking some have intimated). And, in the U.S., it does a decent job on 4 lane major highways with stop lights; it'll come to a stop on a red light, and then either follow another car through on the green or, with a flick of the shift lever, go through on its own.
Not perfect, of course: Reminds me of a 17-year-old driving. And it makes sense to take over when things look dicey. But it makes driving between New Jersey and Boston, something I do on a regular basis, a lot less stressful. (Not sleeping, mind you, just less stress.)

Reactions: HeatherW22
I’d agree with you more if the purchase follows me around. But it attaches to the car so if you change car before FSD becomes real then you have nothing. So the value of it has a clear time limit from the second you buy it.

And in the UK at least which is where this thread was posted - we don’t even have the beta running so add a few years into whatever timeline you think might be applicable to the US

Reactions: ajbrun
I'd own and drive the car on the motorway for at at least a week before you try it though, learning basic AP. Otherwise you have nothing to compare it to.
I feel like I'm pretty sure at this point that I'll want it, so why wait? I'm really into techy, automation type stuff anyway. One of the things that attracts me to the Tesla is that element of it. The chances of me owning the Tesla for any period of time and not buying EAP is basically zero I think, so I may as well benefit from it from the start I think. I also have the money put aside for it at the moment, and that situation may not last forever! 😆

Reactions: RichardTheKing
EAP seems more or less worth it.. it's not outrageously priced for an upgrade compared to other manufacturers.. you always get shafted on the options anyway.

FSD, nah. On a car bought now I doubt it'll payoff in the lifetime of the car, and if it does, buy it then (or more likely get a subscription which will likely become available as well).

I’d agree with you more if the purchase follows me around. But it attaches to the car so if you change car before FSD becomes real then you have nothing. So the value of it has a clear time limit from the second you buy it.

And in the UK at least which is where this thread was posted - we don’t even have the beta running so add a few years into whatever timeline you think might be applicable to the US
On your first point, true enough: the FSD bit stays with the car. But the value of the car goes up with it, just as if one had bought, say, a car with a larger engine than normal. So, if one decides to sell the car, or it gets totaled in an accident, the value of the FSD will be at least partly recompensed by the buyer or the insurance types. (Not much different, really, than the solar power system attached to the roof of my house; if the house gets sold or destroyed, the buyer or the insurance company, respectively, will pay up some more, since, at the root, there's value in not having to pay for electricity.)
On the second point: in this thread it was mentioned that, while FSD prices were going up in the 'States, they hadn't gone up in the UK. Perhaps extending the discount for before-the-build houses, following the analogy from my first post?

put the £7k in a high return stocks and shares ISA until FSD is actually released, then compare the price vs what the ISA is worth.
+1

As someone who bought FSD in March 2020, and has basically seen no development since (and EAP introduced which made FSD even more pointless) - I’d recommend the above.

Tesla aren’t going to increase the price of FSD in the UK while it’s in the state it’s in, and I would think you’d have a reasonable amount of notice once something like FSD beta starts getting traction here.

I would say there’s next to no chance of us seeing FSD beta in the UK for at least another year, possibly several, either due to regulation changes being glacial or Tesla not particularly caring about non-US for software development, probably both.

any sight of the UNECE regs changing to help EAP be more useful? If the car could change lanes without specific confirmation it would help a lot. likewise if smart summon could work at a longer distance so you could maybe bring it to you while sheltering from the rain in a busy car park that’d be good.

for the parallel parking, will it just dumbly try and position itself between two other cars, using them as the reference point? i.e if the other cars are parked partly on the pavement, will the car just kerb its alloys or will it detect and avoid the kerb? Guessing this is perhaps a general issue with autopark systems and not necessarily unique to Tesla if that is what it does

@AutomaticMan Yeah that's fine, from that I reckon you might as well just get it. Keep your cameras clean and enjoy.

You missed the bits about, and don't drive east in the morning sun if you want to overtake, or west in the afternoon sun if you want to move back into the non overtaking lanes. And make sure you get the car nice and warm ages before you need to drive (and even then will probably not fix things) to get rid of the condensation in the side camera housings which, along with the low sun, will prevent auto lane changes. Oh, and just don't expect auto lane change to work in November.