Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Really This Bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not beta, it's a proof of concept quality. You aren't testing it, you've been given access to this low quality software to prevent us from suing them. It's literally that simply. They've just parlayed this into a marketing campaign that seems to have confused an awful lot of people.
Uh-huh. So, according to you, it's all a scam. Then, based upon that, everything about it stinks. Despite decent reviews, the corporation doing pretty much what it said it would do, and improvements over time.

Um You're not a member of TESLAQ, are you?

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles
Uh-huh. So, according to you, it's all a scam. Then, based upon that, everything about it stinks. Despite decent reviews, the corporation doing pretty much what it said it would do, and improvements over time.

Um You're not a member of TESLAQ, are you?

I love this is where you have to go. It can't possibly be that the system is nonsense and dangerous. It's got to be an anti-tesla conspiracy. So ridiculous. Meanwhile my comments are completely in line with OP's and hundreds of others noting the system doesn't work.

Maybe you're just such a bad driver that you think this proof of concept quality nonsense is better than you?

I have to say, though I got the nomenclature wrong.... Enhanced Autopilot vs FSD....if the new $6,000 EAP is as bad as what this car did, I cannot see why anyone would pay anything for it. The EAP on this particular car was garbage that tried to cause an accident several times in the short two days I drove it. Maybe the vision system is better on the Refresh? I get the guys wanting to beta test the latest and greatest. I love gee-wiz stuff, too. Hence the Plaid purchase. However, if FSD is that exhausting and nerve racking, I just don't see the draw.

I have used every generation of Tesla's assisted driving, from AP1 right up to the current FSD subscription on my Plaid. And all I keep thinking when I "test" FSD is "Wow, this is worse than a nervous 8 year old kid driving a car for the very first time, every time." And the other consistent takeaway for me, is that unlike Autopilot with simple adaptive cruise and lane keeping, FSD makes it feel like the car is struggling because it is trying to do too much.

So for me, FSD has a LONG ways to go, even just to be a non-stressful inducing assisted driving experience on backroads, let alone anything that even remotely approaches autonomous driving. So while we wait for something more realistic from Tesla, if they re-introduce Enhanced Autopilot again in the US, I'll jump on that in a heartbeat for highway bliss.

Btw... I still reminisce of how sweet the joys of simple AP1 were. Phantom braking was a rarity, and it pretty much worked.
Wow that's very comforting for owners with old Tesla's like me, 2015 Model S with AP1. You're right, PB's are extremely rare and lane centering works so well on those long boring highways and straight country roads. I was thinking of upgrading to a newer model, but I think I'll hold on to mine for a few more years.

Reactions: geordi
I picked up my 2019 last night and tried out EAP. Compared to my AP1 car, the 2019 is unable to maintain a proper human-like following distance in Northern VA traffic. It cannot be set to a distance of "1" and if you slow down for traffic, it takes forever to reach the set speed again once it clears. Unless you permanently toodle along in the right lane as the slowest car on the road, this really won't work for highway trips. I found this following distance problem to be present on my Ford Lightning as well. I wonder if/when the following distance of "1" will be selectable again on vision-only cars.

On a positive note, lane changes were much faster to initiate and complete than AP1.

Fair warning - I have not had the opportunity to personally experience the FSD or any other driver assist system versions OTHER than AP1.

I HAVE however completed about 15,000 miles of owning a 2016 X that is AP1, and am about 80% of the way through what is likely around an 8,000 mile road trip basically circumnavigating the country. MUCH of the trip has been the car driving itself. I-80 coast to coast was driven almost entirely in Autopilot mode, and it was quite pleasant.

The only places where I have not used it were the usual suspects: The Northeast, specifically I-95 in Connecticut and The Bronx... The DC traffic and Northern Virginia... And South Florida where I-95 is Thunderdome.

EVERYWHERE else has been great, and that is with towing a trailer too! The only couple times there have been uncertainties about it maintaining a lane were when a lane opened into an exit with no markings, and a construction zone lane closure that it couldn't see the barrels.

I am quite satisfied. It doesn't need to navigate surface streets, that is something that is nearly beyond most of the humanoids already anyway.