Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD refund attempt: Tesla rep is lying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agree with this and time to move on.

I disagree and ppl who bought FSD has not received anything yet. just like a preorder with anything, refunds should be possible if one does not receive a product. or at least change to current prices. Tesla is turning out to be a shoddy company with their crap about once ordered will become part of vehicle configuration nonsense. It is something can be turned off just as it was turned on easily.

Yes, first 3 sentences are misleading but those 3 must go with the context of the last sentence:

"FSD was advertised this way and customers had the option to purchase it or not": It doesn't matter whatever hardware you have, once you bought FSD, whatever it takes to get you to FSD, you are guaranteed with that FSD hardware.

And it has to go with the earlier statement that:

"We do not process refund requests for the removal of the Enhanced Autopilot or removal of the Full Self-Driving (FSD) feature if purchased either Pre or Post-Delivery. This is because once the option is purchased, it becomes part of the configuration, or value of the car, and is therefore non-refundable. "

I interpret those 2 WHOLE paragraphs as: The configuration has been bought and assigned with a FSD hardware. It's been advertised as FSD. If that FSD hardware won't do the job, then Tesla will need to replace it with whatever it takes to get the job done with no extra charge because to have paid for it already. And for simplicity, that configuration stays with the car once it's paid for so subsequent owners won't pay for it again.

Tam, thanks for your interpretation. "We do not process refund requests" is clearly true, but the reason they gave is not. What I'm confirming in this forum is that Tesla could easily change this configuration, as it's just a setting in the car. There is no hardware difference. And there is no software difference, as the software has not yet been delivered. What the Tesla rep told me is is beyond misleading, it is not true and perhaps an intentional lie.

Tam, thanks for your interpretation. "We do not process refund requests" is clearly true, but the reason they gave is not. What I'm confirming in this forum is that Tesla could easily change this configuration, as it's just a setting in the car. There is no hardware difference. And there is no software difference, as the software has not yet been delivered. What the Tesla rep told me is is beyond misleading, it is not true and perhaps an intentional lie.

Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
The average rep is less knowledgeable that the audience on TMC..

Your request for a refund is ridiculous. you knew when you bought it that it did not exist yet. No promises on time were given. I just paid 2k to get FSD to add to my existing EAP purchased in July with my car. I have no clue when FSD will provide a benefit but that’s the chance I took to get it for a discount. That’s my decision just like it was yours to buy FSD when you did. No refunds on FSD. Pretty cut and dry.

Elon repeatedly said it was coming soon. In Jan 2017 he even said 3-6 months. You're the smart one who didn't buy FSD up front. I'm the sucker who did, and wound up paying more than you did, even though I was promised the "best price" for buying it up front.

Reactions: GSP and C141medic
Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
The average rep is less knowledgeable that the audience on TMC..

The reps are trained to respond to what their management instructs. So I don't blame the rep for being ignorant. It's what her management told her to say. The TMC audience though knows a lot for sure. I think a lot of us see clearly what is happening, and do not accept it as unchangeable.

Did it change? Kickstarter used to be money up front.

It is still. Those sites are about money raising so they have to take the money before you get the product. What I *think* he/she meant was with kickstarter they hold onto it until the project has met the amount required to produce, then they take the money from everyone, then their cut, and pass what's left to the company that started the kickstarter. It's not a completely failsafe way to do it, but much better than taking your money at the start and then having to refund a bunch if the project doesn't make enough to even start.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
I always find it interesting how many people believe that if its in the fine print its binding. Companies put all kinds of nonsense in there and it means nothing. The fundamentals of contract law both parties must receive something, there has to be an exchange. If either party fails to deliver the contract is not valid. There is no way Tesla can just say oh well you get nothing we get to keep your money its in the fine print.
Finally!

I didn’t buy FSD and so I have no personal interest. I do however have some education on contracts. Parties, consideration, performance and a time period. Basic requirements for a contract. ‘One day’ doesn’t cut it and that is certainly an argument. Anyone saying differently knows as much as the guy standing in line at the beer store.

Opinions are great. Informed ones are better.

Your request for a refund is ridiculous. you knew when you bought it that it did not exist yet. No promises on time were given. I just paid 2k to get FSD to add to my existing EAP purchased in July with my car. I have no clue when FSD will provide a benefit but that’s the chance I took to get it for a discount. That’s my decision just like it was yours to buy FSD when you did. No refunds on FSD. Pretty cut and dry.

Totally agree.
These refund requests are ridiculous.

You knew what you were buying. You bought it.
End of story.

Definitely not accurate, but whether the rep is misinformed or intentionally misleading you is another question.

Perhaps requests like yours are part of why Tesla moved Summon, NoA, and autopark into FSD. At least that way they can argue they did in fact deliver FSD features.

Does it matter if someone paid to have this information says it by accident or on purpose?

I understand them turning you down (kind of) but the rational they gave is bogus .

Last edited:
Anyone giving an opinion on this should let us all know if they are licensed to charge a fee for it. I suspect you can’t.

That way, at least readers will know if you have anything apart from your way of thinking behind it.

Maybe I do.
It wouldn’t matter though. No one here needs a license to know these requests are ridiculous. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: TT97 and PunchIT
What happens when someone goes to buy a car that the original owner paid for FSD and was refunded? You could be telling that buyer that it has the $7,000 option without knowing until after that it was no longer on there.

Removing and changing items from a car is not that unusual. Part of buying a used car is verifying the descriptions is accurate.

Regardless of any disclaimers made by Tesla about regulatory approval and date uncertainty, there still needs to be a reasonability test here to determine if Tesla sold FSD in good faith. People are quick to jump down someone’s throat if they purchased FSD and have regrets. But what will you all be saying if 5 years from now Tesla still has not delivered anything? I’m not saying I think that will happen. But my point is that even with a disclaimer that the product has not been released or approved yet, there has to be a time frame that the average person would deem reasonable such that Tesla can’t just delay providing value to FSD buyers for years and years without repercussions.

The initial exchange was accurate.

So I think what happened is the rep ran out of script to go off of.

She should have stuck to the "part of the configuration" and the "value of the car".

To me she just seemed exasperated when pushed so she reached for anything to try to explain it.

It why kids who go "But, WHY???" are such a pain in the arse. :p

Some things are just the way they are. That's really what the rep should have gone with.

Disclaimer - I'd be terrible as a parent, and as a customer service agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.