Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD refund attempt: Tesla rep is lying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my Tesla. Didnt buy FSD and am not interested. I happen to think these people have an argument. The benefits of my education I suppose.

I assume you’re a lawyer ?
So with your education, you clearly feel others who aren’t lawyers, or not as educated as you claim to be, are wrong.

That logic in itself, speaks volumes about how useful your education is..

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
We can keep this going here where nothing will be solved.

If you feel compelled, then get a lawyer and go after Tesla. 50/50 chance either way.

Nothing personal, but you should also consider switching to a different car brand as it sounds like you are a bit sour from the interaction and at this point you have been compromised and will always see the bad and not the good.

Not trying to be argumentative.

...The topic of FSD is not so black and white...

The last moon landing was in 1972 or 47 years ago so would you pay now to get on the list for SpaceX trip to the moon's orbit?

No one has ever gone to Mars so would you want to pay for it now?

No one has ever got a car driving in normal traffic without a licensed driver, not even Waymo in 2019, so would you want to pay for that feature now?

I don't know about Mars but for the moon: Yes and FSD: Yes.

Can they get a refund if they change their minds or if those projects delayed or fail? It's up to what they signed up for: Do their contracts say refundable?

Tesla staff were telling people that FSD would be available within 6 months... Back in 2016.

Musk said full coast to coast demo in 2017.

Anyone buying in 2016/17 could reasonably expect them to stand by those claims.

Reactions: MrMannnilow
Good God, will the whining over this never stop? FSD has always been a "future" purchase. We bought it to lock in a price now for something that will eventually come. No promises were made about specifically when or what. It was a gamble. It may or may not pay off.

Actually many specific promises with timelines were made in 2016 and early 2017 by Tesla regarding both EAP and FSD. For example they were in the Design Studio back then. The wordings continued with Model S/X well into later times.

I guess with Model 3 one might be able to argue its wordings were a bit different.

Yes, FSD can't be consider a preorder and refundable on that basis, for those who argued that, but Tesla has consistently said that FSD features are right around the corner. Those expectations go into the purchasing decision, and if people don't receive what they could reasonably have expected to receive based on the advertizing, they have a case.

Tesla should refund any FSD purchase where the buyer has waited more than 12 months (or something similar) and wants a refund. To avoid people trying to take advantage of pricing changes, they could have a 12 month limit before one can buy FSD again.

As someone who is in the buying process currently, I can tell you that the Tesla employees are very neutral in discussing FSD.
They don't push it, they don't dissuade. They point out that they will lower the price on an Inventory car that has it, or charge you extra to add it to an Inventory car that doesn't. Personally I would have avoided it except for one reason; I cannot imagine having a car that cannot auto park. It's a feature I value and am willing to pay a premium for.

Reactions: c.ross3
As someone who is in the buying process currently, I can tell you that the Tesla employees are very neutral in discussing FSD.
They don't push it, they don't dissuade. They point out that they will lower the price on an Inventory car that has it, or charge you extra to add it to an Inventory car that doesn't. Personally I would have avoided it except for one reason; I cannot imagine having a car that cannot auto park. It's a feature I value and am willing to pay a premium for.
Only with the new feature grouping does FSD have any functionality. Previous to this year's change, there were zero FSD package features, everything that was available was part of EAP.

I do like the new groupings because it lowers the cost for adaptive cruise control and the feature sets line up between driver assist and (future) autonomous.

Reactions: c.ross3
Why are people so quick to attack someone in this forum who expresses a different opinion? The topic of FSD is not so black and white that there is only one right answer to the OP’s question. Attacking someone with a different opinion adds no value to this conversation.

My problem is with people that really don’t know what they’re talking about but state their opinion as fact. To say these people have no argument ‘end of story’ is just wrong. Plainly wrong.

Check the Ontario EVIP cancelation thread. When ford cancelled the rebates and excluded Tesla from the wind down, I immediately said Tesla should sue the government. ‘That’ll never work, government can do what they want etc’. I was right but those that substitute hot air with knowledge did try to say I was wrong. Same thing here. Lay person argument and legal ones aren’t close to the same thing.

So to answer your question, on my part anyway, it’s not an attack. It’s sympathy.

Yes, FSD can't be consider a preorder and refundable on that basis, for those who argued that, but Tesla has consistently said that FSD features are right around the corner. Those expectations go into the purchasing decision, and if people don't receive what they could reasonably have expected to receive based on the advertizing, they have a case.

Tesla should refund any FSD purchase where the buyer has waited more than 12 months (or something similar) and wants a refund. To avoid people trying to take advantage of pricing changes, they could have a 12 month limit before one can buy FSD again.

That is actually a very solid idea!

I can’t believe there are still people who don’t understand that what Tesla did was not just wrong, but outright misleading.

If people who bought FSD in 2018 actually got the product, and the price went down, it wouldn’t be nearly as bad. At least we would have had a product to show for our overpayment of $3000.

But Tesla also told people that if you didn’t lock in the price early, the price would go up— the exact opposite of what has happened!! What they told us was obviously a complete lie and that’s what is so despicable. That’s what so many of us are outraged about. Consolation Early Access Program offers which are yet to go out aren’t worth the $4000 price swing.

Elon admited that what they did was a mistake, but if they were really serious about that, they would not have extended the price cuts (the too many orders excuse is a lie— they just need $ for Q1). Also, if people were really supposed to accept a locked in FSD price, people who bought FSD in early 2019 should not have gotten offers of a refund.

Those who were not screwed over by these lies frankly need to shut up. Especially those people who bought FSD now and are benefiting financially from those of us who were bigger supporters of Tesla in 2018, their time of need. You can be happy that you’ve gotten a discount off the backs/ wallets of others, but don’t tell those of us who you’re benefiting from to ‘stop whining ‘ or ‘just move on’. We have every right to remain outraged.

Tesla has a bad habit of screwing over their existing customers. With the whole of my experience (messes in ordering, delivery and service), I am no longer a fan-boy and am not promoting my car to others, nor am I buying the 2nd Tesla we were thinking about doing earlier.

They don’t even have to spend $ or refund us to make things right. They can do things that cost them absolutely nothing like partially uncork my AWD. Yet they do nothing. They can’t even send out invitations for the early access program they promised. Tesla needs to get its act together fast.

Last edited:
I coach a high school golf team. There is always that one player that cheats, its obvious, and it is exciting when you catch him. Then sometimes you get a kid that isn't so straight forward. This year I've got a player that is constantly putting wrong scores down. This particular player makes truly honest mistakes as he is new to the game and doesn't really understand the rules. You can try to teach him, but he doesn't retain information all that well. So he continues to cheat via the ignorance medium. Maybe it is bad coaching, maybe he has an undiscovered issue, maybe he is just a really good actor. Regardless, he can't be played in a score counting match until he is fixed.
Tesla disagrees.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Tesla has a bad habit of screwing over their existing customers. With the whole of my experience (messes in ordering, delivery and service), I am no longer a fan-boy and am not promoting my car to others, nor am I buying the 2nd Tesla we were thinking about doing earlier.

Ah I thought I wrote this in my sleep is was so spot on of my feelings as well. Be careful the fanbiois who can't see through the haze will write you off and report you so your account gets banned just because your opinion doesn't match theirs. I at least appreciate seeing someone with a similar viewpoint.

I bought 7 Nissan Infiniti products in the last 10 years.. I'm not the kind of customer to tell to "just go switch bands if you don't like tesla". I'm more than happy to bring my $500k worth of business to another brand

• Love
Reactions: ftlum
Status
Not open for further replies.