Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD saved us from being crushed by a semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fantastic and incredible result!

IMHO this shows that there still areas where autopilot can be improved. I definitely wouldn't be lingering in that spot alongside a semi and autopilot probably shouldn't be there as well.

Another area where I find autopilot to be a bit disconcerting is that it does not use the full width of the lane. When driving I always use the full width of the lane to stay away from oncoming traffic by keeping away from the center line or to give more clearance from the side of the road when there is no oncoming traffic. Autopilot doesn't do this it sticks to the center of the lane all of the time. This is especially disconcerting when beginning a turn, it is sometimes a bit late and you end up briefly heading towards the center line and oncoming traffic.

Reactions: OPRCE
This is pretty impressive. Sure, many drivers might avoid getting in this situation in the first place. I would typically avoid this situation preemptively, though I can't say I have always avoided it. There are many less attentive drivers, so this technology is only going to make our roads that much safer.

Future State: If the semi had auto-pilot then the situation wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Reactions: OPRCE
Just remembered this:
One of my complaints about Autopilot is that it will happily drive along beside someone regardless of the traffic. Now there are some times that driving beside someone cannot be avoided. Like heavy traffic. But I actively seek 'holes' in the traffic to drive in. It keeps my options open. If you've ever witnessed or had a blowout at highway speeds, it will make you wary of limited options.
The other thing I do is to keep a running 'database' of where cars/trucks are around me. This does two things, first it makes me scan around me all the time to keep the database accurate and up to date, second if I have to move suddenly I already know what my options are.

Reactions: 2101Guy and OPRCE
@scottiev

I drive this highway regularly. I’m pretty sure trucks aren’t allowed in the left lanes ever, but I get on at 16W and off at 14.

It’s a terrible stretch of highway... there is an exit for the Interchange to Route 280, then the city of Newark, and then the split to the extensions (14A-B-C-D/Route 78 Interchange), and then you have the Cars Only and Cars/Trucks/Buses split. These are all in a mile or two.

Glad you had a positive outcome. Stay safe. I learned really quickly driving these roads to keep my distance from trucks, and to pass ASAP and not dwell on the sides.

Thank you. Agree it’s a terrible stretch of road. And I don’t think semis are / should be allowed In the left lane. This particular truck seemed to be engaged in something with the FedEx truck in lead. Road rage? I was overtaking the truck, I thought, at a reasonable clip. Not so much.

As previously stated this was not FSD. For example, autopilot saved me in 2016 when a deluge of water was dumped on me from an overpass. Immediately beyond the overpass there was a lane closure narrowed by Jersey barriers to my right. In the period of time before the automatic wipers came on (it was not raining) I was completely blind (4:30 AM total darkness, highway speed). Auto steer was engaged and car moved left. I'm not sure I would have been able to avoid the barriers, but I'm pretty sure the auto steer saved me.

Glad the OP, @scottiev, had a safe encounter with the semi. Some thoughts:
• It's legal for trucks to be in the left lane on that stretch of highway?
• I try to pass trucks as quickly as possible and avoid riding alongside. I'll normally adjust the cruise speed or the follow distance to get past.
• You can see the banana truck just switched lanes, and is close behind a small car and is probably tempted to make another lane change, but he paused; so it looks safe to pass, but...
• The OP, @scottiev, was all the way up to the cab when the truck starts to slide over. I find it impossible that the driver didn't see the Tesla. You can see the driver in the cab just before he starts to pull over:
by default 2020-07-01 at 9.47.53 PM.jpg

Hard to see in this pic, but when the video is rolling, you can see the profile of the driver, in his mirror, at this very moment. If you can see the driver, he can see you. I think the truck driver did it on purpose.

Why? The OP, @scottiev said he was on the horn the whole time, and yet, the truck driver didn't slow, nor did he pull back to his lane. He continues on his merry way, passing the little car in front of him. He shows no hint of being surprised that there's a car there and honking at him. No surprise, means he intended to scare the *sugar* out of the OP and/or test its AP to brake.

• If I had been under control of the car at this point, and had my foot on the throttle, I might have gunned it; but if I were on AP, I wouldn't have the time to put my foot on the accelerator and would have hit the brake. Glad the AP hit the brake. Then again, it did look like a situation might be arising as the truck did just switch lanes, while looking like he would like to switch again in front, so I probably would have turned off AP, backed off and given the truck the room he wanted. Not what I would have done at 25, but I'm not 25 anymore.

Reactions: Pilot1226
I'd give AP a 7.5 out of 10. I think the future version will know to floor it while moving a tad to the left and when clear flipped off the truck driver for you. We need HW 5.0!

If the truck driver had made just a slightly more aggressive lane change you'd have been pancaked.

Btw, what HW version are you? 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0?

I'm having the opposite effect. I'm having ghost braking when using cruise control. Today i was going 75 and it slammed on the brakes until I took over at 30 on the highway. Thank GOD no one was behind me as I would have been killed. Everything in my car was in the front or on the windshield. Horrible.

That’s what I was thinking! You could have successfully evaded the semi, but still gotten killed by another motorist, possibly even another semi! Both vehicles totaled, multiple people hospitalized, or dead, truck driver continues driving on as if nothing had ever happened, probably because he never knew.

You can only follow so close to another vehicle. But something completely unexpecting, like engine seizing, lost cargo, whatever, and you’re expected to safely stop in time? I drive my 1994 mustang much differently than the Tesla. It has no ABS and no traction control. I have to constantly be alert about every little thing. I could have 6 car lengths from you, completely aware of the sudden stupidity, and probably still collided with you, if I don’t have an opening on the right, which the truck just got out of.

I am that asshole who drives EXACTLY the posted, if not a little slower in the HOV lane when all the other cars on the highway are stopped. Why? Because I am terrified of that one idiot who decides to illegally cross into the HOV lane from that dead stop without looking. It happens. I’ve seen it. And everyones tailgating me, because, like I said, I’m that asshole. But there is no where for me to pull over to let them pass, so now I have to worry about avoiding the potential moron that may get into my lane from that stop, AND all the vehicles behind me which will end up rear ending me.

Unfortunately, this won’t be anything you see in mainstream media if any kind. Just the bad stuff, or issues they used to have that they already solved, but are still coming up.

I just read an article recently about the issues with the battery packs on 2012 Model S..8 years later, and they’re still talking about that. And the occasional video of someone railing into a semi while not paying any attention.

I love the one about that one Tesla that gets into a wreck. Moron was driving triple digit speeds in a city, running stop lights, and ends up colliding with a Tesla who had right of way. I couldn’t even tell you what car was the offender, because the main focus was the Tesla. It was literally the headline. How dare it be involved! It had nosed out slowly with a green light attempting to make a right turn. But at the other cars speed, stopping wouldn’t have saved it, flooring it wouldn’t have saved it. Backing up, I don’t even think that was an option, but if so, the car wouldn’t’ve had enough time to react. At that speed, neither the car nor driver would have seen it. But still, that Tesla was in a wreck! For shame!

I'm glad that truck driver is out of work.

Next time don't stay on the side of a semi where it would be difficult to see you like that. Estimated 30%+ of accidents are due to sleep deprivation and truckers are more commonly sleep deprived. One accident and you're likely dead. You were both in the wrong.

He wasn’t hanging out along side. He was passing. Truck driver decided to merge across two lanes of traffic without signaling. Truck drivers, I have found, to be some of the best drivers out there. Probably because they are required so much training and because they know that one little mistake could cost someone their life. But, like you said, many are sleep deprived. And mistakes happen. Driving something that massive, with that many blind spots is exactly why you take your time changing lanes and signal, as it’s more of a warning to others than a request.

I do not think this person was in the wrong. What should he have done? Matched speeds with the right lane? Drive slower than the right lane? He was passing. ...until he suddenly wasn’t.

Thank you for sharing. I use Autopilot alot in my 3, S and X. I do a better job of keeping out of blind-spots than Autopilot. When it does put me in those situations and other drivers turn into me, it does a good job of saving me. It has saved me twice from inattentive drivers, but it put the car in the blind-spot for an uncomfortably too long time.

"An attentive driver would have done a better job at ...". The problem is no human can be an attentive driver 100% of the time. Computers can be attentive 100% of the time. Yes, ideally OP should have not been in that position in the first place, but we all know is impossible to avoid those 100% of the time, so it will happen and you want this kind of behavior to help. AP is not complete and many scenarios are not handled yet but is getting there, and so far already seems a great help to cover some of those human lapses that even the attentive driver has.