Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD subscription question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!
I ordered my Model Y LR without the FSD and without the enhanced autopilot.
Can I still get a $199 subscription for FSD for like one month to be able to try it out?
I am assuming the subscription can be cancelled at any time, correct?

Thanks!

Yes, you can try the subscription out monthly, it shows as $199 for my wifes model Y so that should be the price for your new model Y as well. its a monthly subscription, so you can cancel anytime but you wont get any refund of unused portion of the month.

Reactions: flixden
Yes you can sign up for subscription (still $199/month last time I checked). Yes you can cancel the subscription after any number of months.

BUT, just because you have an active paid-for subscription does not mean your car instantly downloads an FSDb software load. Generally the FSDb software loads have base weeks well behind the software loaded on most non FSDb cars. So many customers deliberately avoid installing new non-FSDb software releases and wait for a new FSDb release to show up which has a base week higher than the software installed on their car. THEN subscribe, and hope that pretty quickly you'll actually get a download of the software, install it, and activate it.

Regarding the base week matter:
The most widely installed software as of today's reporting by Teslaupdates.org is 2023.12.5 (i.e. week 12 of year 2023)
But the widely available FSDb software is 2022.45.15 (week 45 of year 2022) and the latest FSDb software reported sent to any end users (and that in small numbers) is 2023.7.5.
As Tesla still does not routinely install "older" software on a vehicle, you can see the problem.
Less clear than the "older" problem is the "not a factory build problem".
Usually Tesla has not distributed FSDb software to cars currently running the build with which they left the factory such as 2023.12.100 (last field ends in 00).

The prudent subscriber with a new car might follow this sequence:
1. Install the first new software you are offered.
2. Decline to install further software while you wait.
3. Wait until there is a broadly released FSDb software version with a higher number than your software.
4. Subscribe.
5. Hope you get your FSDb download soon.
6. Install it. (but continue not to install any non-FSDb version you may get offered)
7. Activate FSDb on ti.

Put simply, yes you can subscribe to FSD, but be aware of what FSD is versus FSD beta. Many people subscribe assuming their car will drive itself around any street, but only the beta will do that. FSD will basically add stop sign/traffic light control, lane changes on the highway, and summon to the regular autopilot features. Subscribing does not guarantee beta access.

Reactions: flixden and E90alex
Well, first of all thanks to all 3 of you. You guys are awesome, and ao is this forum. Lots of good information.
So if I understand this correctly, then if you just randomly subscribe, you may not get access anytime soon. That seems weird.

And my second question: is there a way to get access to the beta version to try it out?

So if I understand this correctly, then if you just randomly subscribe, you may not get access anytime soon. That seems weird.
If you subscribe to the Full Self Driving feature, you will get access to a basic set of functionality. It is unlikely that anyone would find it worth $199/month based on the available features.

People usually subscribe to Full Self Driving with the hope (sometimes the expectation) that they can then get into the beta test program (owning or subscribing to FSD is a prerequisite to becoming a beta tester). Unfortunately, Tesla is not currently adding any new beta testers.

And my second question: is there a way to get access to the beta version to try it out?
The only way that I know of to experience the beta test software firsthand is to know someone who is a beta tester, including finding an Uber driver who uses the beta test software. There's at least one YouTuber who creates videos showing his passengers' reaction to the software. Failing that, there's always YouTube. There are tons of videos demonstrating its strengths and weaknesses.

Well, first of all thanks to all 3 of you. You guys are awesome, and ao is this forum. Lots of good information.

There are two things being discussed here, and there are two different products with very similar names.

"FSD" is teslas "Full self driving" subset of features. If you subscribe to FSD, you will be enrolled in the subscription to "Full self driving"

FSD - B is "Full self driving - Beta" which is an additional set of features. It does not cost extra, its just rolled out in a limited fashion. If you subscribe to the full self driving subscription, you may not be admitted to the full self driving beta (which can be confusing since actual full self driving itself is also beta).

Think of it as:

1. Full Self Driving - Beta
2. Full self driving - Beta beta

Anyway, if you subscribe, you will get full self driving, but you may not get the beta version that includes city streets as that is limited access.

Well, Elon did say he was going to give everyone 1 month of FSDb once it is stable.

Two huge caveats:

1. It's Elon. He has a lot of trouble telling the truth. He's made many many statements that clearly were false. Again (and annually since 2016) he is saying "this is the year" for stable self driving.

2. It likely won't be "stable" for well over a year if not many years, IMHO.

But maybe we'll be surprised. Doubtful, but possible.

Better option might be to buddy up with a local who has it at this point just to see a real world example in your part of the country. For me, that would quickly get it out of my system compared to $199/month.

Well, Elon did say he was going to give everyone 1 month of FSDb once it is stable.

Two huge caveats:

1. It's Elon. He has a lot of trouble telling the truth. He's made many many statements that clearly were false. Again (and annually since 2016) he is saying "this is the year" for stable self driving.

2. It likely won't be "stable" for well over a year if not many years, IMHO.

But maybe we'll be surprised. Doubtful, but possible.

Better option might be to buddy up with a local who has it at this point just to see a real world example in your part of the country. For me, that would quickly get it out of my system compared to $199/month.
Yeah. I agree with you! 👍🏻

There are numerous threads about this, so I’m not going to get into much detail here. Three important points:
  1. Subscribing to or buying the FSD option does not automatically get you the FSD City Streets Beta, you have to request that on the Controls > Autopilot screen.
  2. Since you already have Enhanced Autopilot, the only thing you gained by subscribing to FSD is Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, and the option to sign up for FSD Beta.
  3. FSD Beta builds are behind the production builds, so you won’t get FSD Beta until there’s a Beta build available that’s newer than what you have installed already.

Reactions: CDrury
Great info Thx. I just got a new S Friday with Subscription and in the same boat. I am on 23.12.5. Any idea how long or when I might get the FSD beta update? Days? Weeks? Months? Thx again

Take a look at post #3 by @archae86 , in this thread I merged the thread you posted into. They have a good explanation of that.

Yes you can sign up for subscription (still $199/month last time I checked). Yes you can cancel the subscription after any number of months.

BUT, just because you have an active paid-for subscription does not mean your car instantly downloads an FSDb software load. Generally the FSDb software loads have base weeks well behind the software loaded on most non FSDb cars. So many customers deliberately avoid installing new non-FSDb software releases and wait for a new FSDb release to show up which has a base week higher than the software installed on their car. THEN subscribe, and hope that pretty quickly you'll actually get a download of the software, install it, and activate it.

Regarding the base week matter:
The most widely installed software as of today's reporting by Teslaupdates.org is 2023.12.5 (i.e. week 12 of year 2023)
But the widely available FSDb software is 2022.45.15 (week 45 of year 2022) and the latest FSDb software reported sent to any end users (and that in small numbers) is 2023.7.5.
As Tesla still does not routinely install "older" software on a vehicle, you can see the problem.
Less clear than the "older" problem is the "not a factory build problem".
Usually Tesla has not distributed FSDb software to cars currently running the build with which they left the factory such as 2023.12.100 (last field ends in 00).

The prudent subscriber with a new car might follow this sequence:
1. Install the first new software you are offered.
2. Decline to install further software while you wait.
3. Wait until there is a broadly released FSDb software version with a higher number than your software.
4. Subscribe.
5. Hope you get your FSDb download soon.
6. Install it. (but continue not to install any non-FSDb version you may get offered)
7. Activate FSDb on ti.

This is a clear, informative description that should be stuck to the top of every "Subscribed to FSD" thread. It will save future OPs from having to read the arguments back and forth the definition of capability and the 3 uses of the letters FSD. (There is also an FSD computer.)