Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription to start February 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well.... so far those of us early BUYERS of FSD are the ones paying the price of their failure. Will Tesla do anything to make that right?

.... they could start by allowing current FSD to transfer to a new one at no charge.....

I’ll agree - allowing a transfer would be a step in the right direction, for sure.

And FYI - I say this as someone who plunked down for FSD on both my 3 & X, so I know what you mean. Truth be told - I probably would’ve sold my 3 and bought a Y at launch if I could bring FSD with me. But I wasn’t going to take the bath on it, and then pay for it again.

There are screenshots out there, hopefully someone around here has em handy.

if nothing else I'm sure they will come up in the inevitable class actions
I edited the post after finding a screenshot from Teslarati. Previously (back in 2016 when it initially launched) the promise was basically the driver can get in and tell the car where to go and it'll do everything itself.
tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade - TESLARATI

Depending on when you ordered, you may or may not have seen that screen or have seen different versions. That's why personally when I order anything I take copious screenshots, as things on websites can always change. I should note however, my impression is that by the time the Model 3 came out that wording was long gone (and the wording is similar to what you see now).

Last edited:
Edit, this is the best picture I could find, which Teslarati had of the previous wording back in 2016:
Tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade.jpg

tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade - TESLARATI

Yeah they definitely reversed course real quick lol. Selling what amounts to a vision statement for 3k...gonna end up with unhappy folks down the road aka now. I like the ambition though and they're leading the way.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
I have a 2020 M3. If I had to do it over again I would have skipped FSD. It isn't ready and won't be for several years I think. The auto lane change behavior is dangerous in busy urban areas. The car takes too long to change lanes, and usually does so after slowing down below the flow of traffic. I don't use it any longer unless I want to show another person how it works. It takes exits aggressively usually requiring intervention to keep the car on the road. Sometimes changing lanes for no reason at all. The FSD behavior in the current state is confusing to other drivers and not worth the trouble driving in urban congestion. It probably works great in lower populated areas. Haven't really needed auto summon other than the novelty of it and auto park is slow and clunky. Basic EAP works great and I really enjoy it. I don't mind having to decide to push the turn signal down to have the car make lane changes when I want them to occur. Unless my next Tesla comes standard with FSD or significant driving behavior of a human driver is evident I'm going to have to pass on it. The rest of the car has been great. Although, I'm not disappointed that I purchased FSD and hopefully whatever is released as the final product changes my usage of it.. but at the current $10K unless you live in the car I don't see the value. Anyone trading their previous FSD capable car in for a new Tesla should get it included or at least have the difference in price credited. They definitely haven't received what they paid for.

F them and their ongoing mistreatment, deceiving, and lying to early FSD buyers.

Here in the UK a Porsch Taycan is now CHEAPER than a base Model S.

I hardly recognise Tesla as a company now compared to when we bought our X in 2016.

It appears becoming one of the richest men in the world really has got to Elons head.

Our next car 100% wouldn't be a Tesla, I wish Tesla luck, but the I wouldn't shed a tear if it all came crashing down.

Even the smartest people can be tricked occasionally by a sufficiently charismatic charlatan.
Well, may be they are not sufficiently smart.

I bought FSD fully knowing I may not get "fsd" for several years - but wanted to be part of the journey.

No one who did any kind of home work thought actual FSD would be possible anytime soon.

Well, may be they are not sufficiently smart.

I bought FSD fully knowing I may not get "fsd" for several years - but wanted to be part of the journey.

No one who did any kind of home work thought actual FSD would be possible anytime soon.

Oh I didn't think I'd get actual FSD within three years, but I figured that Tesla wouldn't be stupid enough to treat it like a delivered product instead of the preorder that it is. It seems insane to not let people who've received *ONE* fairly crappy feature for their money to not be able to get into a new car and flip a bit on that car's digital features. Turn down full-price hardware sales just to avoid transferring a software license with *zero* incremental cost?

Okie dokie. Their playground, their rules.

Oh I didn't think I'd get actual FSD within three years, but I figured that Tesla wouldn't be stupid enough to treat it like a delivered product instead of the preorder that it is. It seems insane to not let people who've received *ONE* fairly crappy feature for their money to not be able to get into a new car and flip a bit on that car's digital features. Turn down full-price hardware sales just to avoid transferring a software license with *zero* incremental cost?

Okie dokie. Their playground, their rules.
Not sure I'd buy this argument - "treat it like a delivered product instead of the preorder that it is". What does that even mean .... they are not saying they will deliver some functionality and when they get to more functionality you won't get the updates. If and when they get to full FSD (or any interim update), you will get the new version. Its not like they have the functionality that they are refusing to give to you because they are "treating it like a delivered product".

I've bought SO MANY products where the initially promised features were never fully delivered within the life of the product and I got nothing transferred to the next. Lots of software, home theatre products. For that matter even that Leaf I mentioned above - I didn't get that high speed charging "transferred" to the next Leaf I bought.

It just goes with being an early adopter. You take a certain risk when you are an early adopter - the return being you get to use some / parts of the features or the product earlier than others. I've bought HDTVs early on that I could never watch anything in HD (no programming), for eg. !

Even today Yamaha & Denon are selling HMDI 2.1 receivers promising features in future firmware updates that may never come to fruition.

probably nothing. HW2.5 owners with enhanced autopilot who were promised advanced summon, on-ramp to off-ramp self driving will never get what they paid for.
LOL, now you are changing the subject to EAP? EAP never had self driving promised (it was always a L2 system).

I thought you were talking about FSD? I know what mspisars was likely implying, but will let you finish the story on what happened to HW2.5 owners who opted for FSD. I'm pretty sure you know the answer.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd