Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Thoughts and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I've had so many FSD fails over the past few months of driving Tesla 3, I thought I'd start sharing them and thoughts that go along with those with the community at large, both to inform, educate, and encourage Tesla to make faster progress on that.

Here's the first video I put together, intend to do quite a few more, documenting and dissecting various FSD fails:

First set of issues I see are:
  1. Very inconsistent and sometimes outright dangerous tight turn handling
  2. Lack of non-human obstacle detection
  3. Decision to use lane centering (vs clinging to the left side lane markings) leading to erratic and unpredictable behavior
I can see #2 perhaps being a HW3 thing as the processor they have in the car now can only probably handle one or two models at a time (although I don't understand why not just use the distance reading on any unclassified objects). #3 can be fixed. #1 I am not sure they can overcome without integrating the map data into decision-making - seems like the upcoming turn readings from the cameras are inconsistent.

My credentials are AI and computer vision, which allow me to have a decent chance at guessing what's going on behind each fail.

When did FSD get released? In your post, in the video still, you are using auto pilot in a way it was not meant to be used. Autopilot should only be used on the interstate. Not on a back country road.

Its not surprising that autopilot is not working the way you expect, because you do not understand the limitations of autopilot because you did read the manual. Learn up a bit.

According to the user manual:

"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."

He's on a highway in that video.

To the OP: I do not suggest posting anything regarding shortcomings of the Autopilot system on this forum. This is the wrong place for it. The general spirit of AP shortcoming discussion here is similar to the Onion article titled "Fun Toy Banned Because of 3 Stupid Dead Kids."

Reactions: electrictorque
Thanks everyone for taking time to comment. Please don't take my post as FUD - I think Tesla is on the right track (or at least trying) and I am enjoying driving my Model 3 AWD immensely. I'm also afflicted with sleep apnea, so having a functional FSD is of huge interest for me safety wise. Having said that I'm trying to gauge the current state of the technology and highlight things that I am not happy with so they can be addressed faster. So far I see lack of consistent turn detection which is going to be a tough one to resolve without tight GPS/maps integration - I haven't heard Tesla commenting that it's coming, so I'm curious how they are going to address that. I also see a single ML model that's trained for cars and people - they have probably run into a wall on trying to train it for cars, people, and street signs / obstacles in the same model and can't yet run multiple models on the same chip. The lane centering thing I think is misguided and should be changed. Just trying to get to the bottom of things and express my thoughts and observations. If it's not something you want to see, let me know and I won't post again. I can see that "fails" is too strong of a word that's causing people to think that it's FUD - I will think of something else.

As for the terminology, here it is from Tesla's web site - looks like they are grouping multiple things under FSD, which is the way it should be as they are multiple technologies (AI, computer vision, sensors, and hard logic) strung together to achieve some (hopefully very high) degree of driving assistance.

Autopilot Included
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.

Come on guys. We all know that Tesla has not released a level 5 fully autonomous driving package yet, and we also all know that what they do currently offer they refer to as “FSD” or Full Self Driving. Is it really full self driving? Of course not. But since that is the term Tesla chose why are you giving the OP grief over referring to this term? That is what Tesla chose to call it, not the OP.

Reactions: linkster
According to Tesla's order page, Navigate on Autopilot, automatic lane changes, Summon and Autopark are now all FSD. So it's understandable that new buyers may think they are using FSD.
no, it's NOT reasonable to assume that your car is full self driving, despite the nomenclature used by Tesla.

If you THINK your car is full self driving because of the FSD label, you a) haven't RTFM and, b) you're kinda too stupid to drive a Tesla.

Reactions: Electroman
BTW, choosing the username “fsd_fails” probably is not going to win you any brownie points on this forum. It sounds like you only joined to point out what’s wrong with your car.

Just like @ewoodrick said, the account was created with the express purpose of driving people to youtube video(s).

I mentioned this on another thread like this, but new poster + sensationalist title + video = no thank you for me.

OP if you REALLY want people to take you seriously here, then WRITE OUT A POST detailing all of your points. THEN you look like you are trying to engage in a discussion. Picking a name like "fsd-fails" and saying "come check out my video", appears to be nothing but attention grabbing.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc and Thp3