Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
upload_2019-3-1_21-21-56.png

That's for my 2016 HW2.0 car. Has been $5K all day even after Model 3 owners have been saying they've been seeing FSD price reductions since yesterday. Looks like existing owners can now buy FSD for $3K too I guess.

Now the question is....should I do it? I'm inclined to wait until actual hardware upgrades for APE3.0 are actually available to retrofit later this year (if in fact that does happen this year). Elon time is always so squirrely.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-1_21-21-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-1_21-21-56.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Zaxxon
Short summary if I understand correctly: existing customers who stuck with the company got hosed. If you are new, you are getting at least a $3000 discount on the whole package compared to people who purchased in advance a long time ago, i.e. it is $5000 for new users today vs. at least $8000 for existing users.
No, I just checked and the option to get FSD on my car went from $6600 cad to $4000 Cad current owners are getting a discount, the question is will it be worth the cost

Short summary if I understand correctly: existing customers who stuck with the company got hosed. If you are new, you are getting at least a $3000 discount on the whole package compared to people who purchased in advance a long time ago, i.e. it is $5000 for new users today vs. at least $8000 for existing users.

Did you really expect them to return money to you?

Enjoy the Early Access Program! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: BinaryField
No, I just checked and the option to get FSD on my car went from $6600 cad to $4000 Cad current owners are getting a discount, the question is will it be worth the cost

What I meant was that if you were an early adopter, you needed to pay $5000 for EAP plus $3000 for FSD, and you had to support / survive an extremely troubled development process. Now they are dumping it out to new users for $2000 + $3000 for the same package.

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
I am one of those suckers who bought FSD.

So does the early access program that we will get the HW3 Retrofitted ASAP, a d test real FSD features or does it mean that we will get normal firmware updates perhaps a week before everyone else?

I'm guessing this means that new cars are equipped with HW3.

The most obvious reason why people with EAP would need to pay $2k extra for FSD while new cars get it for $5K is that old vehicles need to have HW 2.0 and 2.5 replaced with 3.0 while new cars already have it inside...

I don't think you are in the worst group if you paid for FSD upfront. Here's my ranking...

1) Paid $6k for EAP after delivery and then $4k for FSD after delivery
2) Paid $6k for EAP after delivery and now $2k for FSD after delivery (me... ugh...)
3) Paid $8k upfront for FSD... At least you're getting early access for whatever that's worth.

Overall, i'm happy with the change since everyone is getting something. Not sure if anyone has any real reason to be upset...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hi friends! Being that my HW2 Dec 2016 Model X (vin in the low 30Ks) has hit about 42K miles, I've been thinking about whether I'll be throwing down extra cash for the extended 4 year/50K mile warranty. Though I absolutely love my car, possibly the only criticism I have is that I don't believe HW2 has yet reached parity with HW1. Now with the FSD price decrease, I'm seriously considering going all-in, which would be to buy the extended warranty as well as the FSD package in one go. The alternatives would be to (1) do the most financially practical thing and not upgrade anything, just drive the X into the ground the next few years, or (2) trade the X in for a new X prior to the current warranty expiration. Your thoughts would be appreciated.