Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Warning #1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys.
I had my vehicle in FSD when I was on a a 5 lane city street (one lane was a turning) and someone started to jaywalk in the middle of the street and my Model Y made an immediate stop although the person was just beginning to cross the 1st of 3 lanes before he got to me.
The drivers that were in back of me weren't too happy and they moved to the lane next to me (that was closest to the street) when they could.
The jaywalker past my lane and was in the lane closest to the other side of the street so the cars in back of me started honking as I would do in there position so I placed my foot on the accelerator and I big triangle warning appeared on my display advised me that this is my 1st of 5 warning before FSD was disabled.
I don't believe that I did anything wrong and that Tesla's FSD algorithm acted prematurely when the jaywalker was almost 3 lanes away from me.
Is there a way that I can report this to Tesla so that they can tweak there algorithm and remove my warning?
Thank you
Bob

FSDS is pretty cautious around pedestrians. Pedestrians have the ability to be more unpredictable. The guy could have suddenly sprinted forward instead of walking casually. If the car is acting oddly or your decision making is different, just disengage the system and drive manually past the encounter. Then reengage.

No, you can't remove strikes.

Hey guys.
I had my vehicle in FSD when I was on a a 5 lane city street (one lane was a turning) and someone started to jaywalk in the middle of the street and my Model Y made an immediate stop although the person was just beginning to cross the 1st of 3 lanes before he got to me.
The drivers that were in back of me weren't too happy and they moved to the lane next to me (that was closest to the street) when they could.
The jaywalker past my lane and was in the lane closest to the other side of the street so the cars in back of me started honking as I would do in there position so I placed my foot on the accelerator and I big triangle warning appeared on my display advised me that this is my 1st of 5 warning before FSD was disabled.
I don't believe that I did anything wrong and that Tesla's FSD algorithm acted prematurely when the jaywalker was almost 3 lanes away from me.
Is there a way that I can report this to Tesla so that they can tweak there algorithm and remove my warning?
Thank you
Bob

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
The way it works around here is that the instant that person steps off the curb, everyone has to come to a stop until that person either steps onto the opposite curb or a center island. Of course very few people stop and you'd get a lot of glares if you tried to obey the law, but that's how its supposed to work.

So I'd say the car was correct in what it did and that it isnt a bug.

Jaywalking is extremely hazardous. Most drivers anticipate animals crossing at designated crosswalks, making it easier to spot them. The daily routine of driving creates a muscle memory, cueing drivers when to look out for animals. However, animals, unfortunately, do not comprehend traffic signs.

Simple solution: Next time this happens, press the brake instead of the accelerator. Pressing the brake cancels FSD so you're no longer making the car violate FSD protocol because you cancelled it.

Doing so will also bring up an option briefly to report why you cancelled FSD. That's your time to report how a human would handle it for them to review the situation.

Reactions: Waltjo
It is interesting to consider this and similar questions. In the case described by the OP, Tesla seems to have been following the law. However, at least in our area almost everyone (me included) fudge this by moving forward while assuring the pedestrian is not close enough to be injured. This is similar to the rolling stops and dicy u-turns where FSD obeys the laws but many (perhaps most) drivers obey selectively. So the issue is; should FSD try to emulate these common violations, using machine intuition as a guide, or follow the rules unambiguously? After all, even humans follow the law pretty meticulously if a traffic cop is nearby. So maybe Tesla needs to detect police presence and modify their behavior, just like many humans.

It's going to take quite some time for our American culture to adjust to AVs and advanced ADAS. The leader in the AV field, Waymo, gets quite a bit of love from locals (just Google "waymo vandalism"). The amount of anger that comes from people who feel inconvenienced by another driver, even though logically that inconvenience costs them seconds or a few minutes extra to their destination, never ceases to surprise me. How many times have we all had someone drive well over the speed limit, honk at you and then change lanes around you like you're standing still, just to meet them at the next red light? All that emotion and rage, and it didn't save them a second.

Hey guys.
Thank you
Bob

Don't worry about the strike. You've got 5 before it disables FSD, but I believe that they are getting removed after a week now.

... so I placed my foot on the accelerator and a big triangle warning appeared on my display and advised me that this is my 1st of 5 warning before FSD was disabled.
Anybody else seen instances of a strike unrelated to inattention?

It may be that while the clueless walker was crossing the street, you were looking around, not looking forward, and not torquing the wheel, and that it was just coincidence that you got the warning right when you touched the accelerator. The car punishes those actions even when it's not moving.

Software 2024.14.9 with FSD 12.3.6. I was driving on the highway with FSD in moderate rain on a 200 mile trip, when I got repeated “apply turning force” messages at what seemed like sub 10 second intervals. I thought I was keeping up, but apparently I wasn’t, so I got a strike and FSD shut off.

After I stopped and was able to reengage FSD on the same trip, I was passing a semi when I saw a car quickly approaching behind me, so I pressed the accelerator to complete the pass more quickly, but I exceeded the FSD limit, so it shut off again, but I did not receive a second strike.