Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FTC with SGIP incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is you can claim the difference.
I've seen some people argue that you can claim the full ITC and claim the incentive as income. I wouldn't do that without talking to a tax advisor.
You need to have solar and have the Powerwalls charged by at least 75% from your self-generation to claim the ITC for the Powerwalls. Something you may want to consider if Tesla ever lets Powerwall customers with solar charge from the grid.

My understanding is you can claim the difference.
That's correct.

The basic story is that a typical incentive you get would be considered taxable income, but there is a provision in the tax code that incentives from a utility for energy measures are exempt from taxable income. The flip side of that exemption is that the rebate amount is excluded from the eligible amount for the investement tax credit.

Basically no double dipping.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Wondering if you qualify for the SGIP Resilience incentive which pays for most of the powerwall cost are you still eligible for the federal tax credit.
Merrill,

If you say you will take the tax credit, the amount of the SGIP incentive is reduced so that the total of the tax credit and the incentive is 100% of the system cost.

In my case, I chose not to take the tax credit. 1 PW system was $13,900, incentive $13,200. The tax credit would take a year or more, and be non-cash, so that route would cost me over $3K cash now, to be recouped as a reduction in tax later. Besides, $700 is a great price for a PowerWall!

I just read that PG&E has already blown through their $44M Resiliency Equity budget, the medical/fire zone, $1/wH stunningly great deal - No wonder it took only 93 days to spend it. There are more $ in the future, but I can't find when that future is going to be. In the mean time, applications go onto the waitlist, I gather.

Merrill,

If you say you will take the tax credit, the amount of the SGIP incentive is reduced so that the total of the tax credit and the incentive is 100% of the system cost.

In my case, I chose not to take the tax credit. 1 PW system was $13,900, incentive $13,200. The tax credit would take a year or more, and be non-cash, so that route would cost me over $3K cash now, to be recouped as a reduction in tax later. Besides, $700 is a great price for a PowerWall!

I just read that PG&E has already blown through their $44M Resiliency Equity budget, the medical/fire zone, $1/wH stunningly great deal - No wonder it took only 93 days to spend it. There are more $ in the future, but I can't find when that future is going to be. In the mean time, applications go onto the waitlist, I gather.
The PG&E residential Equity Resiliency budget was actually fully allocated in 12 days.

Merrill,

Thanks for the info, I guess I’m being greedy but you are correct my 2 Powerwalls are basically free. Since I’m retired I really do not have much earned income anyway. No out of pocket cost either the CCA is paying the installer up front and when the incentive is paid it will go to them.

Would one qualify for both the base incentive & the resiliency incentive? I already have a pending base incentive for large-scale storage (3 powerwalls) with SCE. Can the incentive category on my pending application be switched from base incentive to resiliency whilst keeping the original submission date?

Would one qualify for both the base incentive & the resiliency incentive? I already have a pending base incentive for large-scale storage (3 powerwalls) with SCE. Can the incentive category on my pending application be switched from base incentive to resiliency whilst keeping the original submission date?

The interesting thing is that one of the pre-requisites for qualifying for the resiliency incentive, is to qualify for the base incentive.

In my case, it looks like I dont qualify because although Im in a Fire threat tier 2&3 zone, I'm not in the "blue zone" ( located in an area with a presumed resale restriction ).

Does anyone know how you look up if there are still funds for this resiliency program?

CPUC FireMap

Interactive map. Put in your address to verify tier 2 or 3 qualified.

From Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) Info :

"
SGIP Eligibility Mapping Tool: Residential Eligibility Map and Non-Residential Eligibility Map

"
If you click on User Guide it says you have to be in the Tier2/3 fire area AND in "area with presumed sale restriction"

Sorry if the guide isn't pertinent, but there are so many "SGIP" docs out there it's maddeningly confusing.

From Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) Info :

"
SGIP Eligibility Mapping Tool: Residential Eligibility Map and Non-Residential Eligibility Map

"
If you click on User Guide it says you have to be in the Tier2/3 fire area AND in "area with presumed sale restriction"

Sorry if the guide isn't pertinent, but there are so many "SGIP" docs out there it's maddeningly confusing.

That link that @flyguyjake posted is pretty helpful. Its "fire area, AND (not or) one of the following:

1. Multi Family dwelling or residence restricted from sale (IE Low income housing)

Or

2. Eligible for medical Baseline service

Or

3. Eligible for certain incentives (SASH = single family affordable housing, MASH= multi family affordable housing. SOMAH = amother multi family affordable housing... so Low income

or

4. Electric pump or well servicing your property.

Its possible you meet one of these criteria, but the funds are subscribed as mentioned. If you meet the criteria, you will want to keep an eye out for it. As far as getting the "regular" SGIP, tesla has a long waiting list of people who havent gotten it yet from their installs, so unless you are doing 3+ powerwalls to apply under the large install bucket, it is highly unlikely you would see "regular sgip" money as everyone that has installed using tesla for the last 12 months is ahead of you in that bucket.

If you qualify for the resilliency SGIP under the above conditions, recommend you keep an eye on it and see if it opens up again. It will likely fill up quick if so.

My understanding of California’s SGIP program and the federal tax credit is that for SGIP the Powerwall can ONLY be charged from the grid, while for fed tax credit the Powerwall MUST be charged from solar. There is so much solar generated in California that daytime is now off-peak and SGIP has been revised to incentivize (among other things) batteries (storage) instead of panels (generation).

My understanding of California’s SGIP program and the federal tax credit is that for SGIP the Powerwall can ONLY be charged from the grid, while for fed tax credit the Powerwall MUST be charged from solar. There is so much solar generated in California that daytime is now off-peak and SGIP has been revised to incentivize (among other things) batteries (storage) instead of panels (generation).

Thats not correct. In both cases, the powerwall must be charged from solar (SGIP and Federal Tax credit). There are no rebates / credits etc at all for charging a powerwall from the grid, and it can only be setup that way (charge from the grid) if there is no solar on the premsis.

Also, this specific thread is talking about a VERY specific SGIP plan which is NOT the regular one.

Thats not correct. In both cases, the powerwall must be charged from solar (SGIP and Federal Tax credit). There are no rebates / credits etc at all for charging a powerwall from the grid, and it can only be setup that way (charge from the grid) if there is no solar on the premsis.

Also, this specific thread is talking about a VERY specific SGIP plan which is NOT the regular one.

Not true, SGIP does not require solar. Got my parents on Equity Resilency with no solar. They have one Powerwall that charges from grid.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/uploadedFil...sUpdates/2020/SGIP_residential_web_043020.pdf

Not true, SGIP does not require solar. Got my parents on Equity Resilency with no solar. They have one Powerwall that charges from grid.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/uploadedFil...sUpdates/2020/SGIP_residential_web_043020.pdf

Equity and Resiliency is its own specific thing, so I didnt know that you could do that with that program.... but most will not qualify for that program so it should be talked about separate from "SGIP", even though its a subset of that program.

The number of people who qualify for the government of california to buy themn a powerwall (or powerwalls) for free is relatively small.

Equity and Resiliency is its own specific thing, so I didnt know that you could do that with that program.... but most will not qualify for that program so it should be talked about separate from "SGIP", even though its a subset of that program.

The number of people who qualify for the government of california to buy themn a powerwall (or powerwalls) for free is relatively small.

Regular SGIP also never has required charging from solar. The Equity and Resiliency just affects the amount of the payout, not the terms of the program. It's not common for people to get batteries without solar because it only bridges small gaps and doesn't make much financial sense with the regular SGIP terms, but I did see posts a couple of years ago from owners who received an SGIP rebate without solar.

I’d guess there are many tens if not hundreds of thousands of homes in high fire zones that have experienced 2 PSPS events or have an electric well.

Relatively small, maybe, but the absolute number is pretty substantial.