Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuel Price Check $$$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are expensive, installed cost in Australia is around AUD$1 a watt or USD$0.65. There are all sorts of bullshit permits you need in the US too, I have heard figures around USD$3-5 per watt!!!!! Seriously, solar is so obvious in Australia, even with tiny FiTs.

There was an article in Electrek a few year ago comparing the process of installing rooftop solar in Australia vs. USA, and how it was chalk and cheese. The concept that you could have a single company install your solar and manage everything including getting the rebates (SRECs) and meter changeovers, and have everything done within in a matter of weeks, was simply gobsmacking to the ‘Mericans. And they explained that is the reason why solar is so cheap in Australia compared to the USA.

The process in the USA is incredibly bureaucratic, costly, and lengthy Involving multiple parties, “bull****” permitting, and Byzantine grid laws.

There was an article in Electrek a few year ago comparing the process of installing rooftop solar in Australia vs. USA, and how it was chalk and cheese. The concept that you could have a single company install your solar and manage everything including getting the rebates (SRECs) and meter changeovers, and have everything done within in a matter of weeks, was simply gobsmacking to the ‘Mericans. And they explained that is the reason why solar is so cheap in Australia compared to the USA.

The process in the USA is incredibly bureaucratic, costly, and lengthy Involving multiple parties, “bull****” permitting, and Byzantine grid laws.
Tend to agree with this.

Back when we pulled the trigger with Solar, it turned out to get SRECs there was a requirement in NJ that the amount of energy generated per year couldn't exceed the amount of energy used by the house in the previous year. So far, so good: But the plans had to go to this bureaucracy created to review this process, where they would use some computer program to tot up all the numbers and verify this.

After a couple of weeks after signing the contract and, seriously, just attempting to get a status update, I called the installers to ask how things were going and what the status of the various things (NJ bureaucracy, local building permits, power company changeover to Net Metering) and if there was anything I could do to help. Wasn't expecting much, honestly.

This was on a Wednesday. The person on the other end of the line said, "Is Friday all right? We got people free to do the work!" Not knowing any better, but with eyebrows raised, said, "Sure. We'll be here."

A crowd of six or seven people showed up, immediately started putting lag bolts in the rafters, rejiggering the vent pipe locations to miss the panels going in, and doing work in the garage to mount the inverters. They did an excellent job and were gone by Saturday afternoon; somebody might have come by Sunday or Monday for a little last-minute cleanup. Nice job, it was all working, and the standard electric meter was already running backwards.

Then we realized that the building permits hadn't actually been issued; they did apply, and, over the next couple of weeks, various electrical, structural, and plumbing inspectors came by and put their stamps of approval on the little sticky bits of paper. I ushered the electrical guy around myself: This was the first time he'd seen such a thing. Being a EE, I was capable of and did explain it all to him while he scratched his head. He liked the electrical work. The structure guy came and went sans problems, as did the plumbing inspector.

But this is where things got weird. Turns out that the sequence, from the bureaucracy's point of view, was, 1) Plans, 2) Permits. Then they would give an OK, then the work would be done, and then OK'd permits delivered, but the system was to Remain Off. Then the bureaucrats would contact the power company to get a new, special meter; and, after that was installed, then, and only then, they would allow SRECs to be recorded. And, at that point, I was to turn the system on.

Um. A working system three weeks after signing the contract got them Pissed Off. They denied the plans by claiming that taking the system created too much energy; and they got the "used energy limit" by taking December's energy usage from the complete list of 12 monthly bills and multiplying that by 12, resulting in a Used Energy that was much too small. (In other words, they cheated, on purpose.)

Worse, the utility company had No Idea that any of this was going on. Their meter reader came by after a couple of months of the system being on and the meter running backwards a lot, and noted that the meter reading was less than that of the previous month. They figured we had run the meter forward all the way around and sent us a bill for around $10k. We called them, explained what was up, and then I chased through the most labyrinthine list of phone numbers you've ever seen and got the guy in charge of the group that changed out meters. I threw myself on his mercy, he smiled audibly, and said they'd be out in the next couple of days to do the deed, which they did. (Which is one of the reasons I think that PSE&G of NJ is one of the Superior electrical utilities in the nation.)

This still left us sans SRECs which, at the time, were going for $600 a pop. As it happens, the office doing the work turned out to be a few miles from where we lived, a miracle, given that NJ is 250-odd miles from end to end. The SO and I attempted to show up in person, twice, to ask, "What can we do? What did we do wrong? Why did you make this insane math error?" We never got an actual answer, but, after the second try (three months after they got the paperwork) they deigned to send us a Rejection Letter.

At this point I called the installers and, more or less, asked, "Help?" The installers actually had a lawyer who picked up the phone and heard our tale of woe.

This nice gent wrote a letter to the bureacrat's lawyer, cc to the person doing the denying, and pointed out the the SO and I hadn't actually done anything wrong and, that, really, it was between his firm and the bureau. He admitted that they had run too fast, but that was hardly a reason to put us in the lurch. And genteelly suggested a lawsuit might be in the offing if they didn't Do Something. Either from his firm or us.

Nice letter. We got our approval about a week later and it took another two weeks before we got properly entered into the GATS system and started selling SRECs. Seven months after the install and eight months after the contract signing.

Sheesh.

5-10 years payback? Solar installations in the USA must still be expensive. Try 2-4 years in Australia.
Unless one is in some benighted corner of the U.S. where the local politicians are in cahoots with the coal, oil, and public electric utilities, it's around 2-5 years, if not less.

Sometimes individual States over here get trampled in the rush. For a time, in California, I believe, people who put in solar panel systems would sell excess energy back to the utilities - at retail. That's not how power distribution is supposed to work: Electrical providers buy at wholesale, sell at retail, with the rates enforced by Public Utilities Commissions who attempt to keep the utilities from gouging consumers.

No doubt, the utilities were playing silly bugger games in California (see: Enron) and the local enviromentalists were on the warpath, with some reason. But, selling energy at retail to the power companies and buying power at retail from the power companies leaves the power companies with no way to make a profit. Or, for that matter, paying operating expenses, like for those people in those trucks who repair broken power poles and transformers, putting in new gear as the number of customers expands, and just blame paying everybody's salaries (not just the C-suite, but all those people) doesn't exactly work all that well.

Cue A Lack Of Clearing Brush From Under Power Poles.. I'm not saying that the maniacs in the enviromental movement were the only reason that CA has been plagued with electrical-caused major fires all over the landscape, but the lack of money for maintenance is at least partly on their doorstep.

That's rough, I'm getting 10c/kWh for my FIT (OVO energy EV plan, Energex area).

It’s by choice. Every year I plug in the ratecards from about a dozen or so different energy retailers into my massive s/sheet which contains my historical 5-minute solar and consumption data, and it tells me which plan is the cheapest based on the previous 12 months usage.

Because I have a small solar array that covers only about half the entire household usage, the main cost drivers for me are (1) offpeak rate and (2) daily connection fee. Minimising those two usually also means a low FIT. Higher FITs always have higher offpeak and daily connection rates, and I would lose more than I gain.

I have found that Energy Australia for my postcode is ahead.
I negotiated a further 13% discount on their best offer.

For those negotiating their discounting limit is "Flexi 20%". but they wont tell you about it

I spreadsheet the proposed plan against historical plans. A electricity plan is more than just FiT or EV charging incentives. You need to compare all the elements:
Daily supply charge
electricity tariff c/kWh single rate or TOU
Seasonal tariff - I dont have peak tariff on weekends and 2 months prior to Summer and 2 months prior to winter
FiT and any limitation on maximum solar export
Discounts

Reactions: paulp
I have some affection for that answer although it is a little more complicated than that. Installing solar panels kinda means you are prepaying for your power and it is roughly 5-10 years before you save enough to recoup the installation costs.

Even buying a hybrid car with very high gas mileage or an EV can be similar although it is so complicated because there are very few almost none ICE vs EV cars that are directly comparable and EV's are dropping in price and cheaper to maintain, etc.
With an EV payback is under 2 years

With an EV payback is under 2 years
And, going along those lines...

Solar panels are kind of like LEDs. While there are those, in a big enough population, that may go under, most simply don't and work for 20+ years. Or longer.

The more complicated things that might break over time are the inverters. But, as complicated electronics go, inverters aren't them. First, they're fairly simply, electronics-wise. Second, the cost of these things is trending down over time.

I've got panels and inverters that have worked faultlessly for fifteen years now. They're likely good for another fifteen. My avoided cost of electricity is about $250/month, or around $3000 a year. Um. That would pay for a lot of bad panels, of which I haven't had any, or bad or repaired inverters which, likewise, I haven't had any of.

So, does solar cost something? Sure, repair parts going forward. Comparison to buying electricity off the grid? As a rough estimate, 10X to 15X less. And maybe more.

Frankly, anybody building a new house these days is vaguely insane if they're not installing solar when the house is being built.

And, going along those lines...

Solar panels are kind of like LEDs. While there are those, in a big enough population, that may go under, most simply don't and work for 20+ years. Or longer.

The more complicated things that might break over time are the inverters. But, as complicated electronics go, inverters aren't them. First, they're fairly simply, electronics-wise. Second, the cost of these things is trending down over time.

I've got panels and inverters that have worked faultlessly for fifteen years now. They're likely good for another fifteen. My avoided cost of electricity is about $250/month, or around $3000 a year. Um. That would pay for a lot of bad panels, of which I haven't had any, or bad or repaired inverters which, likewise, I haven't had any of.

So, does solar cost something? Sure, repair parts going forward. Comparison to buying electricity off the grid? As a rough estimate, 10X to 15X less. And maybe more.

Frankly, anybody building a new house these days is vaguely insane if they're not installing solar when the house is being built.
What is also insane is people still building houses with rooves that are not optimised for maximium solar collection

I've got panels and inverters that have worked faultlessly for fifteen years now.

My inverter (SolarEdge - so not a cheapie brand) failed 2 weeks after my solar was commissioned. Completely died. Great example of the bathtub curve. Stuff happens, and it was replaced under warranty. No issues since.

My Tesla PW2 Gateway then decided to fail after 2 years. Ceased doing its Gateway thing. It was repaired under warranty. Apparently a “known” but “rare” issue which Tesla did not provide any further insight on.

I don’t expect any panel or optimiser failures. Or should that be hope… since my house had to be scaffolded to install them, and you really don’t want to have to scaffold your house again to investigate a rooftop failure. One of the reasons I went for optimisers rather than microinverters is that the former have a much longer MTBF and are spec’d to operate at higher ambient temperatures. A microinverter failure on my roof would cost me $5000 to fix. And given I’ve already had a macroinverter failure, I think I dodged a bullet.

My inverter (SolarEdge - so not a cheapie brand) failed 2 weeks after my solar was commissioned. Completely died. Great example of the bathtub curve. Stuff happens, and it was replaced under warranty. No issues since.

My Tesla PW2 Gateway then decided to fail after 2 years. Ceased doing its Gateway thing. It was repaired under warranty. Apparently a “known” but “rare” issue which Tesla did not provide any further insight on.

I don’t expect any panel or optimiser failures. Or should that be hope… since my house had to be scaffolded to install them, and you really don’t want to have to scaffold your house again to investigate a rooftop failure. One of the reasons I went for optimisers rather than microinverters is that the former have a much longer MTBF and are spec’d to operate at higher ambient temperatures. A microinverter failure on my roof would cost me $5000 to fix. And given I’ve already had a macroinverter failure, I think I dodged a bullet.
I’ve got 111 microinvertors and have had one fail in the 6 years since installation. It was replaced under warranty. Fortunately my entire install is easy to access with no ladders, scaffolds, or risk of falls. I’ve had to reconfigure a few circuits though as the panels/micro’s sometime push too much power which trips the breaker. I think we are on top of that now though.

I’ve got 111 microinvertors and have had one fail in the 6 years since installation. It was replaced under warranty. Fortunately my entire install is easy to access with no ladders, scaffolds, or risk of falls. I’ve had to reconfigure a few circuits though as the panels/micro’s sometime push too much power which trips the breaker. I think we are on top of that now though.
Crikey!
Do you have a 50kW system or something??!!!