Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability was purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
will they notify me to install HW3, or is this something I need to stay on them about. Based on previous interactions with Tesla, I’m assuming I will need to push this for the foreseeable future....my guess is a few years.

Anyone have specifics?

Thanks

I expect them to do the replacements as cars come in for service. If you live in an area that they are not busy they could schedule it. There are not many area's that have extra time.

Just saying, but if now the software runs fine with HW2.5, and they decided to to upgrade your HW2.5 not now but few years later due to demand and amounts of upgrade (of course someone is going to upgrade it to HW3 sooner than you and they probably jump up and down earlier than you as well), you will likely get HW3.5 instead of HW3 because of continuous hardware improvement?

I would assume the later they upgrade your computer the better?

Just saying, but if now the software runs fine with HW2.5, and they decided to to upgrade your HW2.5 not now but few years later due to demand and amounts of upgrade (of course someone is going to upgrade it to HW3 sooner than you and they probably jump up and down earlier than you as well), you will likely get HW3.5 instead of HW3 because of continuous hardware improvement?

I would assume the later they upgrade your computer the better?

That may be pure speculation. Tesla mentioned that they likely won't have a major update to hardware in two years, and I suspect they will try to push out the HW3 upgrade well before that time. Will there be minor updates to HW3? - I'm sure. Will people be able to jump an entire generation in HW - probably not. On the other hand, its very difficult to predict Tesla's behavior. They've updated timelines and changed course often.

It’s going to take them a while to upgrade all the people who bought FSD. A Tesla tech told me it would take about 3 hours for each install. Most of the time is spent bleeding the cooling system of bubbles, then making sure the system works by monitoring the temp of the computer.

...bleeding the cooling system of bubbles...

It looks more like a fan cooling system, not a liquid cooling system:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Available parts have been a big problem since 2012. Parts are prioritized to production line first. That has caused delays for body shops and general repairs.

If parts are plentiful as I assume with air bags, it still took quite a long time for my case.

I got a 2012 Model air bag recall since January 2017. Service Center said they'll get mobile service in Fall 2017. It finally was done when I brought my car in for annual service in Summer 2018.

That's for 2,650 cars that were delivered in North America in 2012.

That's a small number comparing with the numbers of cars with HW 2.0 and 2.5!

2017 production was 120,000
2018 production was 350,000

For 2 years alone, that's 470,000! (HW2.0 didn't start until 10/2016, so it's only about 2 month production at most)