Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving FSD group buy?

Would you buy FSD for 3k?

• Yes

Votes: 87 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, sales. little, unimportant thing, that. sales.

sales that would NOT have otherwise happened.

and so, there is clear benefit. I'm not paying $7k, but I might consider a huge discount on that since I would like more features.

you won't get people like me to pay money at $7k, so its $0 from me, right now. lower it and you may see money from me.

THAT is how business is done.

As the features start pouring in and FSD materializes more and more into what it was meant to be, I see demand going up, and the price going up with it. Like someone mentioned above, competition could reverse that, but even with the advances the competitors are making, they seem to be dragging their feet. Or, waiting to see how the market evolves.

7k seemed pricey to me too, but when I considered the amount of development work that's being done in the background to add more and more features, and that fact that the price may actually go up than down, I jumped on it. I also considered the positive effect it could have on the resale value down the road.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
As the features start pouring in and FSD materializes more and more into what it was meant to be, I see demand going up, and the price going up with it. Like someone mentioned above, competition could reverse that, but even with the advances the competitors are making, they seem to be dragging their feet. Or, waiting to see how the market evolves.

7k seemed pricey to me too, but when I considered the amount of development work that's being done in the background to add more and more features, and that fact that the price may actually go up than down, I jumped on it. I also considered the positive effect it could have on the resale value down the road.
Nah. $7,000 is the breakpoint considering the entire suite actually costs $10K: (AP May be bundled on most builds but it’s been shown to be a $3,000 add on its own.)

And with the economy where it is right now and uncertainty I honestly don’t see the cost going up for a while (At least not until HW4 or a more advanced hardware suite becomes the norm and the product is more than just beta/largely unregulated.)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
At least for now we have the option to forego FSD. It’ll end up going one of two ways one day:

Either it’s bundled for personal use and an appropriate price bump is added to all non-basic builds (3SR and YSR will still be able to be bought with dumb cruise and basic lane keep assist but not Autosteer) with a subscription model for Commercial use (Fabled Robotaxi :rolleyes:)

Or it’ll become a subscription model across the board for all who didn’t “pre-purchase” prior to a deadline with personal and commercial use tiers (again, Fabled Robotaxi :D)

If you think about it, a constant and consistent revenue stream is really the best way to keep constant development sustainable.

• Disagree
At least for now we have the option to forego FSD. It’ll end up going one of two ways one day:

Either it’s bundled for personal use and an appropriate price bump is added to all non-basic builds (3SR and YSR will still be able to be bought with dumb cruise and basic lane keep assist but not Autosteer) with a subscription model for Commercial use (Fabled Robotaxi :rolleyes:)

Or it’ll become a subscription model across the board for all who didn’t “pre-purchase” prior to a deadline with personal and commercial use tiers (again, Fabled Robotaxi :D)

If you think about it, a constant and consistent revenue stream is really the best way to keep constant development sustainable.

It is, yes, but I hate "software as a service" with "easy monthly billing" with the passion of a thousand suns.

EDIT:

So i am on thread topic to OPs question, No, I wouldnt and didnt buy FSD for 3k... I paid 2k for it, after paying 5k for enhanced autopilot.. so I paid 7k total... just like it is right now.

If there was not such an "outcry" when it went on sale around this time last year from current owners mad that new people were paying less, you likely would have been able to buy it at a lower price.

The outcry was so big, it made elon personally make an announcement about the price going back up... so yea... unless tesla is going down the tubes this is likely not happening.

It is, yes, but I hate "software as a service" with "easy monthly billing" with the passion of a thousand suns.
I don’t disagree but I also find distasteful the idea of paying several thousand dollars for a software suite (in beta, no less) that I could theoretically lose within minutes of driving off the lot in the case of a total loss accident.

A subscription model will make the most sense once they actually nail it down and it’s regulated.

• Disagree
Nah. $7,000 is the breakpoint considering the entire suite actually costs $10K: (AP May be bundled on most builds but it’s been shown to be a $3,000 add on its own.)

And with the economy where it is right now and uncertainty I honestly don’t see the cost going up for a while (At least not until HW4 or a more advanced hardware suite becomes the norm and the product is more than just beta/largely unregulated.)

The problem isn't the hardware right now. HW3 has a lot of untapped potential. As for FSD staying the same price for a while? We'll disagree there. And I don't think it will ever come out of beta. Just continually improved over time.

I don’t disagree but I also find distasteful the idea of paying several thousand dollars for a software suite (in beta, no less) that I could theoretically lose within minutes of driving off the lot in the case of a total loss accident.

A subscription model will make the most sense once they actually nail it down and it’s regulated.

It's hard to name a single automated advanced safety feature on any car now that isn't technically 'beta'. They all seem to fail in different situations. A good example is automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection.

What really sets Tesla apart, is the ability for continual over the air tweaks and hardware upgrades when necessary. IMO, FSD will only become truly set it and forget it when the majority of cars on the road also become automated. It will come close, maybe even very close, but would continue to be considered an 'assistive technology' for the foreseeable future. I'll take whatever I can get. Just my 2 cents.

But you’re OK paying for that big chunk of metal and glass that you could theoretically lose within minutes of driving off the lot in the case of a total loss accident?

FSD is about to add it's first actual real features, ever, for original owners.

manual

Price is gonna go up, not down.

Doubt it. Just using autopilot there are major limitations that they need to solve plus competition will be arriving. Not ton mention the 18 models with enhanced autopilot are selling for more than the 19 s with standard autopilot. That's insane. Software option is like anything else it depreciates.

The same is true of the car itself.

Your insurance should cover the value (or replacement cost depending on policy) of both though- so the distinction doesn't seem to make much sense here.

Another thing to keep in mind that maybe Tesla will start to understand at some point is people keep a car 5 or 6 years maybe less. If I buy fsd at delivery it's worth more to me than 2 years in etc. You can say it adds value to the next owner but at a nice depreciated rate that no owner purchasing wants to take the hit on.

Doubt it.

Why? They've already done it.

Price went up from $6000 to $7000 when enhanced summon was released.

Just using autopilot there are major limitations that they need to solve plus competition will be arriving.

People keep saying that- and it keeps not happening.

Same with EVs in general... "ooh! the legacy car makers know how to make cars! They'll flood the EV market any minute now!"

We've been hearing that since Teslas first full year of production...remember in 2013 when VW insisted they'd be the leader in EV sales by 2018? LOL as the kids say.

Not ton mention the 18 models with enhanced autopilot are selling for more than the 19 s with standard autopilot. That's insane. Software option is like anything else it depreciates.

...huh? do you mean used cars or something? EAP hasn't been available on new cars for over a year now

To keep things in perspective, Tesla did have pretty steep price cuts on the Model 3 since release. Originally a LR RWD 3 was $49k + $5k for EAP + $3k FSD. A LR AWD was $54k+$5k+$3k. The federal tax credit was meant for the customers but Tesla ended up basically having it built into their pricing and even further reduced it. EAP+FSD was $8k so package price is actually lower today. There was a brief week sale in 2019 but that was mostly a response to customer dissatisfaction for having felt they overpaid and the steep price cuts.

But the $7k cost of entry as a single option looks high and understandable that people aren't biting when looking at what features are actually in it today. Don't think making it cheaper is a easy solution. Would that mean EAP purchasers would get it free? And what about the people who bought the package before without any added useable features. Elon kept saying FSD price would continue to go up and not down so I'm sure it would annoy purchasers who bought into the promise earlier.

If the take rate for FSD was low do you think it would be better for Tesla to make it standard in the cars and increase the prices by $4-5k? That way more people would have it and the FSD price would technically be lower and Tesla would have better margins. End of the day they can't please everyone but annoying previous customers may lead to lower repeat sales.

What about those of us that don't have standard AP? We would have to buy that for $3000 before we could buy FSD for $7000. I'm not willing to spend $10,000 on beta software. Those of us who opted not to buy EAP back in the day are really screwed now. Give me the whole package for $5000 like it was last March (I missed that sale) and I'm all in.