Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving, Model 3, 2020 only.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have regrets after ordering their Model 3 with FSD? Not price, but functionality.

1) Can you see the stop light status on the center display yet?
2) Is the lane change logic very safe? Does it see motorcycles quickly enough?
3) Is the summon useful?

And any other thoughts? I'm primarily considering it as a safety system for blindspot monitoring (auto lane change) since the mirrors don't light up. They would only demonstrate it on the Model S, and only with the salesperson driving, so I have no point of reference for it.

I couldn't fathom paying 7 grand for automatic lane change. I don't mind turning on AP again after a lane change. Summon might be cool once it works perfectly but again not worth 7 grand IMO.

Like I said, money is no object. The car it's replacing had:

Steering wheel shaker when there's a collision risk or seat shaker.
HUD warning when there's a collision risk.
Instrument panel warning of a collision risk.
Bigger side mirrors with collision warning lights.

The Teslas have at best one of those features unless you order FSD.

Note: It is possible that hand's free driving will be enabled in under 3 years. Pressure from other automakers is coming. Cadillac already sells a hand's free car. There is no guarantee that an FSD upgrade will be $7k when it's available.

Note: It is possible that hand's free driving will be enabled in under 3 years. Pressure from other automakers is coming. Cadillac already sells a hand's free car. There is no guarantee that an FSD upgrade will be $7k when it's available.

What did you drive before? The seat shaker makes me think Cadillac.

I replaced an XT5 Platinum with my Model 3, and couldn’t be happier. That said - I liked the seat shaker (L/R cheek based on where the threat is) and in-mirror alerts are excellent options I wish Tesla would adopt.

Does anyone have regrets after ordering their Model 3 with FSD? Not price, but functionality.

3) Is the summon useful?

And any other thoughts? I'm primarily considering it as a safety system for blindspot monitoring (auto lane change) since the mirrors don't light up. They would only demonstrate it on the Model S, and only with the salesperson driving, so I have no point of reference for it.

it really depends where you live; I see no use for it to be honest, I see it as a gimmick and and if you really need it that much you can always add it on.

Reactions: KJD

3) Is the summon useful?

What is a "2020 Model 3"?

Whether anyone has regrets is totally subjective but, keep in mind there are currently no active FSD features in public release yet. Lots of Autopilot features but FSD features have not been deployed so I'd recommend reserving judgement or remorse until they are out which is happening this year (fingers crossed). To give you a preview of whats to come take a look at this video of the company Tesla is competing with in terms of Vision-based FSD and is very similar to what select Tesla employees are testing now...

Regrets, yes.

In our opinion, on the roads we travel in busy Southern California, several features don't work particularly well: Auto Lane Change, Navigation on Autopilot, Summon, Autopark.

We are particularly flummoxed by the Models 3's repeated failure to recognize parallel parking spots.

We really can't recommend spending $7,000 on FSD at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and CrayZ1
As soon as FSD systems have the ability to look into the eyes of the other drivers at an intersection to be able to determine their IQ level (or lack thereof) so it knows the likelihood of them doing something stupid to kill you, it will be ready for primetime.

Unfortunately, you'll need to trade in your Model 3 to get the new sensor package required for that capability.

We are particularly flummoxed by the Models 3's repeated failure to recognize parallel parking spots.

Not sure what your use case is but have driven several model 3's and had no issue with autopark. Are you going below 18mph and driving past the spot completely (halfway to the next car in front) so that the sensors scan the spot? If so then let service know, if not give it a try and you will always get a read on the spot IF the car thinks it can fit.

Just as a note, all of the Tesla safety features, including blind spot warning, lane departure avoidance, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking are available without buying FSD. They aren't perfect, but FSD doesn't improve them either.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrayZ1
We have a CT6 but prior to the release of Hand's Free driving. It's nice, but way overkill since our kids are in college. Who needs rear reclining massage seats with HDTV when nobody sits in the back?

... then we have much to discuss. I adore the CT6; I still think it's got the nicest interior on the market - BMW, Mercedes, et al included.

So that said - moving from my XT5 to the Model 3... I think the XT5 was more plush, and had nicer interior materials. The rest of the car, though, is SO GOOD - I can live without a lot just to get it.

Now, if you took my Model 3's drivetrain, handling and display/UI and transplanted it into that XT5 or CT6? World beater.

Tesla can take an interior design lesson from Cadillac, for sure... the rest though, Team Tesla all the way.

Reactions: Yang_H and CrayZ1