Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving option purchase for new cars - does it add any capabilities now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mac9500

Dec 24, 2019
CA
If I purchase the FSD option on a new Tesla, does it give me any capabilities right now that I won’t have by not purchasing?

I know that real FSD is an upcoming feature, but does it give me any extra capabilities now versus not purchasing it? Or will all capabilities arrive in the future and the car is no different today whether or not purchased with FSD?

...any extra capabilities now versus not purchasing it...

By default, if you buy a new Tesla on the web now, you only get Autopilot which does 2 functions only:

1) Smart Cruise TACC.
2) Keep your car in a lane.

If you want more features than the other 2 above features such as Auto Lane Change... then you need to pay up for FSD.

With the latest software update, if you paid for FSD, you will get pretty much almost all the planned beta features.

The only feature that is not activated now is: Navigation on Autopilot in the city: You can enter an address and your car will Auto Lane Change on freeways and in the city, and it will a stop for a stop sign and street light and do all the turns for you in the city until it got to its destination.

Reactions: APotatoGod