Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully Charged Standard Plus Not Getting Full 386 Km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is my first time charging to 100%. I'm not getting the 386km as advertised. I'm only getting 378km. Is that supposed to be normal?

Charging at super charger. And the last 5 minutes actually took more than 20 minutes. I didn't wanna wait for 100%, so I leave after waiting for 25 minutes of "time remaining: 5 minutes"

How do I check wh/km?

If you swipe from left to right on the bottom-left corner of the screen underneath the autopilot visualisation, it brings up the trip meters. From there you can scroll up and down to see the trip statistics since your last start, last charge, and two resettable meters that should be measuring your consumption since purchase if you've never reset them.

Sounds like the OP is referring to the range remaining not actual range. In short, that number does fluctuate 10km or so. I charge to 90% which should be 450km, but get 443-449 typically. I dont think its anything to be worried about, especially since you didnt complete the 100% charge. BTW, you shouldnt charge to 100 unless you need it. Its also normal for the charge rate to drop at >90%.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Don't worry too much about a few km here or there. It'll fluctuate depending on environment, driver, and temperature. Enjoy the torque and tech :).

upload_2019-6-20_9-54-56.png

Reactions: GlenM
I realize these cars aren’t cheap but if you are going to fret over a few miles or kilometers of range you made a mistake by not scraping up the extra bucks for a LR 3, especially if you, like me, aren’t comfortable barely reaching the next Supercharger on your trips.

I bought a 2018 LR 3 but my 2016 S is a “short range” 75. The former has about 17,000 miles, the latter about 22,000 miles. While I don’t worry about current, reduced from new range of either car, the LR 3 is the easy choice for lengthy trips even though I have free Supercharging on the S.

Chimming in as a tesla driver for 4 years.

The range and wh/km will both fluctuate under different conditions. Range fluctuates depending on how balance the pack is and how often u charge it to 90% or 100%. Wh/km will change primarily on temperature and your driving habit.

And both of them changes in real time, both the car idling and as driving.

What you are experiencing is accurate real time data from the car that a tradition ICE cannot provide. Rest assure, your old car suffers from range dropping also; is just impossible to tell.

Reactions: Big Earl
I just leave mine displaying % instead of range.. nav will tell me how close I am to thresholds I care about on trips.
And I like it for keeping above 20% when sitting for a while. Or charging targets like 70, 80, 90 etc..

It seems like tesla owners are pretty attached to this range display which I find ironic because I upgraded from a leaf in order to not worry about range! I care more about keeping the battery happy.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Basically you are hammering the throttle and the car is telling you when you do that you can’t expect to get the advertised range.

The range/battery display is in rated miles and does not adjust its numbers based on how you drive. It's a fixed calculation based on kWh in the battery and Wh/mi EPA rated consumption.

The only place the car displays estimated miles is on the consumption tab of the energy graph (click ^ icon next to the music icon, then click on the energy graph).

You can also change the battery display from rated range to battery percent, which is my preferred setting.

Hehehe, wait till OCT - APR kicks in :D

JUN to OCT numbers was 129Wh/km and the Winter happened. It'll average out depending how warm you want your cabin vs the outside.

Charge to 70% (Summer + Daily usage) and 90% (Trips + Cold Months) + Mash the pedal and don't worry about range!

upload_2019-6-21_8-13-8.png

Last edited:
Then that number can only ever decrease, you cannot squeeze extra charge in a cell. Unless it’s a calculation based on a lot more than your simple algorithm. This argument has been 10 years in the making.

Are you replying to me or someone else? The number can fluctuate because it is estimating the available energy in the pack. That estimate can become more or less accurate depending on charging habits. For example, frequent shallow charging at lower states of charge (charging from 60-70% daily) can cause the estimate to become less accurate, causing your battery rated miles to drop. Deep charge cycles can correct that estimate, causing it to go back up.

Reactions: pcons and bijan
Chimming in as a tesla driver for 4 years.

The range and wh/km will both fluctuate under different conditions. Range fluctuates depending on how balance the pack is and how often u charge it to 90% or 100%. Wh/km will change primarily on temperature and your driving habit.

And both of them changes in real time, both the car idling and as driving.

What you are experiencing is accurate real time data from the car that a tradition ICE cannot provide. Rest assure, your old car suffers from range dropping also; is just impossible to tell.

And that is true for all EV's, not only Tesla's

I had one of the first 2012 Nissan Leafs in Montreal

We called the range the “Guessometer”

It would say 160km fully charged. 120 in the city was great, 90 on the highway at 100km hr

Loved the car...

My standard plus actually pulled off 360 of the claimed 385 km on the highway, 110km hr with AC on....without the aero covers.

I was blown away.

Again range is a prediction and based on a lot of variables...

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Today is my first time charging to 100%. I'm not getting the 386km as advertised. I'm only getting 378km. Is that supposed to be normal?

Charging at super charger. And the last 5 minutes actually took more than 20 minutes. I didn't wanna wait for 100%, so I leave after waiting for 25 minutes of "time remaining: 5 minutes"

It's not normal to get 378 if 386 is advertised on a relatively new delivered car. There's an issue in the individual battery quality or something wrong around the battery. I had same issue. Tesla tried many "techniques" to confuse me. I have a long range model 3 rated at 499 but never be able to charge to 486 after the 2nd week of the delivery.

Technique 1 (the most popular): the range at 100% changes depends on the driving habit and driving condition. If you drive conservatively for instance reducing the heater/ac, you could have longer range. This is a wrong statement. The range charged to 100% is called by Tesla "ideal (rated) range" which has nothing to do with the driving range. "Rated range" is the indicator of the battery capacity aka gas tank size if ICE car. The size of gas tank doesn't change dramatically.

Technique 2: if you do a battery calibration by running down to 5% and charge to 100%, the rated range will go up because battery management software can self fix it. From the forum, this technique works for some owners but not for all. It didn't work on mine.

Technique 3: your rated range meets Tesla's battery quality standards. When I asked the standards, Tesla won't tell me.

Technique 4: range at 100% fluctuates according to the weather temperature. This is in general correct, just like in ICE car, the physical amount of gas I can get into the tank fluctuates according to the weather. The gas station adjusts the gas cost accordingly as well. However, the rate of battery capacity reduction should be consistent from car to car.

My battery capacity seems worse than the average by about 10km. It's not that a big deal; I would accept this just like accepting the uneven glass panel gap.

I think that's within normal variance. The range is always dependent on speed, temperature, headwinds, etc. What's your wh/km? I would say anything between 125 and 155 is good!
I'm reasonably sure that's not the case. He's reading his rated range posted when he charges the car, not the actual range he achieves. That's a measure of the battery's available energy, determined by the battery's kwh / rated consumption wh per km

I don't believe that your rated consumption wh per km is influenced by 'wind' etc. Tesla always tells you this because they struggle to explain energy capacity loss (battery degradation) in a nice way...so they generally misinform owners by saying 'there's an algorithm....it's influenced by (you name it)'