Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funky Turn Signal & Mouse Flatulence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, confirmed this morning that it's both right/left turns for me.

An interesting thing that I noticed this time, though -- the problem didn't show up initially. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I've been temporarily parking my car outside (instead of in my garage) this week. Which means that when I get into it, the car has been colder "than usual." The problem only showed up after ~5 minutes of "warming up," of both the cabin and the battery. Outside temps were in the upper 30s last night, and the battery was cold enough for there to be a dashed yellow line limiting my regen. I wasn't careful enough to see if the problem started up *right* when the yellow line disappeared, but I never saw the problem while I saw a yellow line.

Previously, I don't remember there being any warm-up period in the morning for it to show up.

Yup, confirmed this morning that it's both right/left turns for me.

An interesting thing that I noticed this time, though -- the problem didn't show up initially. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I've been temporarily parking my car outside (instead of in my garage) this week. Which means that when I get into it, the car has been colder "than usual." The problem only showed up after ~5 minutes of "warming up," of both the cabin and the battery. Outside temps were in the upper 30s last night, and the battery was cold enough for there to be a dashed yellow line limiting my regen. I wasn't careful enough to see if the problem started up *right* when the yellow line disappeared, but I never saw the problem while I saw a yellow line.

Previously, I don't remember there being any warm-up period in the morning for it to show up.

Tesla told me that, when it happens again, if I can check the taillights to verify that all of the LEDs are working, it would help. One theory they have is that one or more faulty LEDs could be causing this issue. I'll have to check. Either way, I've sent my video to Tesla and they're investigating.

All,

I got an email from Tesla service today regarding the flickering turn signal.

Tesla service was finally able to reproduce this with my car today. They've narrowed it down to what they think is a faulty circuit board in the taillight. They've put the part on backorder, and will install it on my car (in my driveway!) when the part arrives. For those having this issue, it looks like it's definitely a hardware issue, and will likely require hardware replacement--so I recommend contacting your local service department.

My turn signal appears to be fixed. According to the service receipt, they replaced something in the tail lamp and after 200+ more miles and 3 days of driving, the problem's gone!

So, end story: Anyone seeing this issue has a hardware problem and needs replacement of something in the tail lamp.

Picked up my new car yesterday, and I have the exact same issue with the left turn signal. I thought it had gone away, but reading this thread I realize that's because I was out at night and the headlights were on. It's back again today in the daylight. I'll call or e-mail tomorrow.

I don't know if this is good news or bad, but today (with the headlights off) the turn signals appeared to operate normally. I hate intermittent problems!

They're only really bad if you can't diagnose them. If you know what part is responsible, then simply replacing it will solve the problem.

When I was young I used to fix TV sets from time to time. Used to be much easier to do this sort of thing - I had about an 80% success rate, and people would give me a few bucks if I was successful. One day I encountered a TV that would work perfectly whenever I waved a scope probe at the thing. If the probe was within six inches of the circuit everything would work perfectly. Pull it away and it would immediately fail. Hilarious and frustrating all at the same time. Aside from replacing a bunch of stuff, the only solution I could figure out was to duct-tape a scope probe into the box. The thing was pretty old so I actually recommended "putting it down"...

I had my car in for service and they claimed that this will now get fixed with a software update. I'm kinda skeptical, but had no basis to argue at the time. If the next update rolls around and it doesn't fix things, though, then I'll take it back and insist.

...the only solution I could figure out was to duct-tape a scope probe into the box.

Sounds so familiar. In a previous life I worked at a company that manufactured their own circuit boards. Every now and then one wouldn't pass self-diagnostics when installed in the case, but if you touched it with a finger while running diags it worked "just fine". On more than one occasion we considered taping a finger to the board and shipping it. Never did get to the point where we had to decide "whose finger?"