Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone asked me if my Tesla has a heater. I guess they assumed that since in an ICE car the heater works by pumping hot air generated by the engine, Teslas must not have a heater.

Another one was "How many batteries does it have?"

To me, the "how many batteries" question doesn't seem that dumb. Technically, it has one, but that one battery has 4416 cells (in the Model 3 long range version) each of which looks like a jumbo AA battery. So, it's more of an "I'm not sure how to ask what I really want to know in clear language" question.

I get the a similar thing working in IT when people ask "how much memory does it have," and it's hard to tell if they mean storage (i.e. "how many movies/pictures/etc. can I put on it") or RAM (i.e. "how many programs/tabs/etc. can I have open before it starts to bog down"), because they know just enough to think they know how to phrase their question, but not enough to understand why the way they phrased it isn't clear.

People are asking because they genuinely don't know and it is in our best interest to spread the knowledge and inform these folks. It will only help more sales and it seems like they were interested as well. I have ordered a Tesla too and would love for folks to ask these types of questions so I can help them make informed decisions. This is probably why Tesla drivers are marked as douches, even more so than beemer drivers. Can't we all just be nice about it.....
I agree. I do get the occasional uninformed (aka dumb) question, as we all probably do. It's nice to turn that into an educational opportunity. I have seen a few cartoon light bulbs go on once people understand.

Reactions: Tron 3 and ThortsMD
There really are dumb question but that's okay, I'd rather someone ask than not ask. The people who are too incurious to ask (yet harbor and spread all kinds of incorrect information) are far worse than those who ask 'dumb' questions. I respect someone who verifies their own assumptions, no matter how dumb their question may seem (and usually people understand that they may be asking dumb questions).

A dumb question is sometimes a question which answers itself, but the asker still stills asks about it.

'Does this EV use gas?'
'What does EV stand for?'
'Electric Vehicle'
'Thus, no gas.'

I wouldn't be that snarky, but come on!

Misonceptions about a top speed of 60 are just silly, and show a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes a vehicle freeway legal or best-practices for safe freeway merging. Even a smart (car) will go about 90 mph. A 150cc freeway legal scooter can hit 70 mph, which is fast enough to merge on CA freeways and hang out in the slower (non-merge) lane. Free-flowing traffic here is 75-80mph in the 'fast' lanes.

A top speed of 60 mph would be a deathtrap and cause mayhem, especially on fast California freeways (in free-flowing conditions, obviously). ;)

Not everyone is a nerd/car person

But everyone has a brain and is capable of basic logical reasoning, yes? Wait, maybe not. Either way, there are dumb questions, but they're better asked than people spreading false information or being too incurious to interrogate their own assumptions. This is a good thing, and we should be polite and kind about it, maybe with a bit of good humor.

On balance, it's better to have some basic background knowledge of various systems without having to be a 'nerd'. ;) Sometimes people get in to trouble because they don't know how things work on a fundamental level. One doesn't need to be a car nerd to understand the difference between gas, diesel (don't use that green pump in the U.S. for your gas car), and EVs. One should know how to unstick an accelerator pedal rather than calling 911 (I've heard of this happening on several occasions).

Last edited:
Misonceptions about a top speed of 60 are just silly, and show a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes a vehicle freeway legal or best-practices for safe freeway merging. Even a smart (car) will go about 90 mph. A 150cc freeway legal scooter can hit 70 mph, which is fast enough to merge on CA freeways and hang out in the slower (non-merge) lane. Free-flowing traffic here is 75-80mph in the 'fast' lanes.

A top speed of 60 mph would be a deathtrap and cause mayhem, especially on fast California freeways (in free-flowing conditions, obviously). ;)

To be fair, there were some really, really early electric cars from the 70's that did have speeds below 60, such as this cheese wedge:

I wouldn't be surprise if these past attempts have kind of given people negative impressions of electric cars, especially older folks who remember the 70's oil crisis.

The company I work for recently had some ChargePoint chargers installed near the front of the building where the entrance is. I was approached by a gear-head peer who ask, "What's with Tesla's getting handicap parking?"
At first I was super confused by his remark, because our spots are not any wider than normal parking spots. Then I realized he was talking about how close the chargers were to the door. Mind you, handicap is the closest, followed by visitor parking, then our EV parking.
My polite answer was, "probably due to costs of running power to the back of the lot and other EVs can charge there too, like Chevy Volts. You should ask the president (of our company)".
It was obvious that he hadn't thought about running power to an area that doesn't already have it. Something that is in the front of my mind, isn't necessarily in others at all.

Another story about the same guy but regarding posting about our road trip to Florida. He thought he was so clever saying he can drive down to Florida only stopping for a total of 45 minutes during the 18 hour drive, knowing it took us about 23 hours. My answer to that was, if it was about getting to Florida quickly, I'd have flown in a damn plane!

What happens if you run out of battery?
- You don't

Where do you plug in?
- My garage.

What's the top speed on that thing?
- 120+
- Wow really? I expected about 50-60mph.

Isn't your electric bill high now?
- Not really, went up $20-$40 a month, and I'm saving over $150 a month in gas.
“Damn you took off fast! What’s in it? Is it stick, does it have a V8?”
Automatic or manual!!!! I can't believe I haven't been asked that yet. I think I've heard every other one.

I often get asked how to start it. That's actually not a horrible question and they seem satisfied with the answer....I thinko_O

I saw the Mustang or one of the other EVs(maybe the Audi or Jaguar?) actually has a completely unnecessary start button in it because the engineers said it "had to be there."
--
I think Tesla should install a house style light switch on the dashboard to enable the car.. Yes with a keyed lock like in offices which management does not want you to mess with the lighting....... (2020 Model 3 - loving it)