Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, perpetual motion is alive and kicking.

7pB7zHA.gif

do you need an extension cord.
have no idea how to answer that
I actually had a super heavy duty extension cord for my previous EV for opportunity charging at my parking garage. For some reason the Tesla UMC absolutely won’t work with it and throws up a “check for extension cord or faulty wiring” message on the instrument cluster. I’m sure I helped perpetuate that idea for a few people...

I'm sure that all of you, like me, have received a laundry list of dumb questions about your car.
My typical list is:
Can you drive it in the snow? "It's a 4,000 lb AWD vehicle. What do you think?"
Did you know it can easily catch on fire?
What happens if the starter fails?
What happens if you run out of power?

Today I had a new award winner that takes the cake for me.
I buy 6 pizzas for my guys at work every Thursday. My Aunt works in the office for me. Usually she goes to pick up the pizza but since it was snowing I figured I'd go get it.
Of course she started off with "Oh you can drive it in the snow?'"
When I basically laughed at her about that question she responded with:
"Do Teslas have room in the cabin or the trunk for 6 pizzas?"

I was so stunned by her question that I couldn't come up with a sarcastic response for ten seconds. In the meantime everyone in the office laughed her out of the room. She walked out in tears but I think it was deserved.

Some of you must have some doozies. Please share!

People are asking because they genuinely don't know and it is in our best interest to spread the knowledge and inform these folks. It will only help more sales and it seems like they were interested as well. I have ordered a Tesla too and would love for folks to ask these types of questions so I can help them make informed decisions. This is probably why Tesla drivers are marked as douches, even more so than beemer drivers. Can't we all just be nice about it.....

I can ask educated questions about any topic that I don't know anything about. I don't know a lot about how the world works, so I do it quite often lol.
Why do people check their brains at the door with EVs?
When I looked into buying a Tesla I asked about range in warm and cold weather, how to charge it, how quickly it charges at home and on a SC, and what has to be done for maintenance.
I never thought to ask how many pizzas can fit in it. My guys at work have been harassing me since yesterday and want to fill my car with empty cardboard boxes and get to the bottom of it:D

Not the same as the Pizza question.. But before I bought my 3 I went to the sales center and asked if I could test to see if my wife's wheelchair would fit in the trunk. It did easily.

When getting stuff out of the frunk (I use it all the time)
- Do you need a jump? - This isn't dumb.. It's helpful. I thanked him, explained about the Tesla, and if he had been heading inside I'd have bought him a coffee.
- Do you always store your computer that close to the engine? - Yes they run better that way.

I've gotten many doozies over the years (since 2015 with my 1st Tesla, a Model S, and now into 2020 with my two Model 3's).
  • What happens if you run out of battery? A: The same thing that happens if you're stupid enough to let yourself run out of gas. You're stuck until someone comes and helps you.
  • Can you drive it in the rain? Isn't that dangerous? A: No, you can't drive it in the rain. The Tesla engineers never thought of that, they accidentally made a vehicle that can only be driven in sunny weather. :rolleyes:
  • So it's a hybrid, then? A: No, it's not a hybrid, it's a full electric vehicle. But it uses gas too, right? A: No, battery only. But it has to use some gas, right? A: No, you only plug it in and charge it. Oh, so it's a plug-in hybrid. *Facepalm* o_O
  • Is that the new Chrysler 200? A: What? :eek:
  • Is it an automatic or manual? A: There's no transmission, the motor is direct drive. But you have to have a reverse gear, right? A: No, the motor just runs backwards. *Brain Explodes*
  • Aren't the magnetic fields from all that electricity going to give you cancer? A: *I was speechless for this one.*
  • What kind of car is that? A: A Tesla. Cool, who makes it? A: Telsa. I know, but is that like, from Ford or GM or Toyota? A: No, Tesla is it's own car company from California. I get that, but, that's like a division of Dodge, right?

Then there's the misconceptions:
  • It takes hours to charge so you can't drive it on road trips.
  • You're constantly trying to find a charger in town.
  • The battery only lasts a couple years, then you have a $10,000 expense to replace it.
  • There's no power, it's an econo-box that only goes 60 MPH.
  • It's made in a foreign country by a foreign company.
  • The whole idea of EVs is just a stupid fad.
  • Elon is a con artist who has fooled everybody.
  • EVs pollute more than ICE vehicles.
  • There's not enough infrastructure (power plants and power lines) to support the country moving to EVs.
  • There's not enough lithium in the world to support building batteries for every car.
  • It only has a 50 mile range.
  • Tesla exists only because of government subsidies.

I do think someone above said it best -- people absolutely check their brain at the door when confronted with the EV topic. Normal logic somehow doesn't apply.

I've really gotten to where I don't talk about the cars to anyone anymore. It's too painful, and most of the time the engagement wasn't to actually learn about the car, but to just argue political points. Somehow people feel it's their duty to confront you about your poor choice and try to "educate" you.

For me, other people are on their own. It's not my desire, duty or place to be their tutor, teacher, and parent.

Automatic or manual!!!! I can't believe I haven't been asked that yet. I think I've heard every other one.

I often get asked how to start it. That's actually not a horrible question and they seem satisfied with the answer....I thinko_O

I saw the Mustang or one of the other EVs(maybe the Audi or Jaguar?) actually has a completely unnecessary start button in it because the engineers said it "had to be there."

• Funny
Reactions: Tron 3 and CurtisVL
Well it is crazy to have people interested in your car. I
do respect that questions can be a pain if you are just a driver.
As an engineer we kind of like people to understand what the heck
is going on. I have been called a tree hugger, maybe I am. I do know
I love talking to people that are interested in EV. I do not have a lot
of interest in talking about "black and white" round TV tubes.

Not the same as the Pizza question.. But before I bought my 3 I went to the sales center and asked if I could test to see if my wife's wheelchair would fit in the trunk. It did easily.

I had a similar question. I bought an artificial Christmas tree a couple of years ago and had a ton of trouble fitting it into my current car. I still had the box in my basement, so I measured the box and then took a tape measure to the Tesla store to check out the size of the trunk opening. I even told the agent that it was the "Christmas tree test" given my previous experience. So I measured the opening and it would fit just fine...

My son asked me today if it was more dangerous to be in the Tesla during a lightning storm. He's 8, so I took it as a good opportunity to try and explain some concepts around high voltage electricity.

I have been asked the 'does it charge the battery while driving' question. It's not really dumb, just people trying to understand a very different paradigm than what we have. I love the questions, because it lets me have a deeper conversation with people.

The transmission question is valid, though. We do have transmissions, BTW, so don't get too uppity. I believe it's a 9:1 reduction ratio, which is why the torque is so extreme. Porsche actually has a 2 speed tranny in theirs, I believe.

My son asked me today if it was more dangerous to be in the Tesla during a lightning storm. He's 8, so I took it as a good opportunity to try and explain some concepts around high voltage electricity.

I have been asked the 'does it charge the battery while driving' question. It's not really dumb, just people trying to understand a very different paradigm than what we have. I love the questions, because it lets me have a deeper conversation with people.

The transmission question is valid, though. We do have transmissions, BTW, so don't get too uppity. I believe it's a 9:1 reduction ratio, which is why the torque is so extreme. Porsche actually has a 2 speed tranny in theirs, I believe.

Correct, it does have a transmission. It is built in to the "drive unit", so it's not commonly referred to as a separate component.