Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all fairness, the original poster/writer says that he didn't say anything hurtful himself -- it appears that his office co-workers were hurtful by laughing. Still, it's not very nice and he could reach out to smooth things over.

On the other hand, the question she supposedly asked (can pizzas fit in a Tesla) is quite dumbfounding. My initial reaction to that question might be that the person was intentionally trying to mislead me, is trying to tell a joke, or intends to be hurtful themselves. I would have a difficult time believing that the question is legitimate or that the person asking it had such a fundamental misconception.

I couldn't believe she was serious, but I promise you that she was! Correct, I didn't say anything and I could have made it better. I know, doing nothing is the same as the bad guy, but my goodness, what a crazy question to ask. It's not even EV specific!

NEW to this community and Immediately bummed.
I don't understand the joy in bringing people down. I fire employees with bad energy like that. It takes a real man to reach out and acknowledge that you were a "D" and make it right. Consider that a challenge.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this man:
"Like I mentioned, she has parked NEXT TO ME for 4 months since I've owned the car. She has sat in it and looked at it and with a straight face asked if I could fit 6 pizzas ANYWHERE in the car. She mentioned both the cabin and the trunk. She also hates Teslas and was trying to stab me with a "gotcha" question in front of a crowd. Nah, no regrets. Sorry if that makes me a bad person lol."

Not a dumb question, but considering where I was, I thought it was a dumb comment. I took Ginger in to Les Schwab to get a flat tire fixed, and had them rotate all 4 while they were at it. Afterwards, the tech tells me "You still have 10mm on your brake pads so you probably don't need a brake job." LOL, I have only 15K miles and it's a Tesla (braking generally not required). When will these non-Tesla tire shops start educating their techs? Before you comment, realize I live in the Bay area, where about 1 out of 50 cars is now a Tesla.

I drafted this document that I plan on framing and placing in my frunk while showing my car at car shows. Suggestions/corrections are welcomed.
FAQ

Nice flyer. A clarification though in that it’s 240 Volts, not 220 Volts. There’s also 208 Volts in commercial settings. Generally, I let 110/220 slide if it’s from people asking about the car, but when you’re putting information out there to consume, it should be accurate.

“Do you have 220 Volts at home?”
“Yes, I have a 240 Volt setup at home that can easily charge the car overnight and sometimes in as little as an hour”

Edit: You may also just consider printing a bunch of copies in black and white, to let people can take one with them.

Nice flyer. A clarification though in that it’s 240 Volts, not 220 Volts. There’s also 208 Volts in commercial settings. Generally, I let 110/220 slide if it’s from people asking about the car, but when you’re putting information out there to consume, it should be accurate.

“Do you have 220 Volts at home?”
“Yes, I have a 240 Volt setup at home that can easily charge the car overnight and sometimes in as little as an hour”

Edit: You may also just consider printing a bunch of copies in black and white, to let people can take one with them.
Noted and edited, though I'm surprised you weren't picky about me saying 110VAC instead of 120VAC. ;)

More cute than dumb, years ago my 9 year-old son heard me say that using the brakes in our hybrid recharged the battery. He asked why I didn't drive with the brakes on all the time to keep the battery fully charged.

My son asked me today if it was more dangerous to be in the Tesla during a lightning storm. He's 8, so I took it as a good opportunity to try and explain some concepts around high voltage electricity.

These are actually really good questions for a 8/9 year old. it shows they are making logical connections and demonstrating reasoning. They just need more foundation/facts/education...

In fact, the first one: he is recollecting something he heard 'years ago' (which would make him less than 7 years old), and not really a simple or common concept (hybrid cars and how regen works) and is able to connect it to this current scenario. And he came up with a solution to a problem he identified... and it makes complete sense. That is pretty impressive.

One other thought about interacting with people asking about EVs: I try to give an emotional answer even if I wind up foregoing an opportunity to give a factual answer. "This is the most awesome car EVER and it goes through snow, ice, rain and everything and I hope one day everyone will have a car as great as this one! Way better than the Audi and the VW and the Nissan I used to own!"

This has taken a lot of practice for an ex-engineer. :) But I have come to believe that most people fail to retain the facts but almost always retain the emotion. And the *emotion* makes them question their own assumptions.

Alan
my go to is:
"I'm never buying a gas car again"

pretty powerful statement if you ask me.

Like I mentioned, she has parked NEXT TO ME for 4 months since I've owned the car. She has sat in it and looked at it and with a straight face asked if I could fit 6 pizzas ANYWHERE in the car. She mentioned both the cabin and the trunk. She also hates Teslas and was trying to stab me with a "gotcha" question in front of a crowd. Nah, no regrets. Sorry if that makes me a bad person lol.

You're not a bad person. The crowd's reaction made her upset. What you're describing is a crybully; someone who bullies others with passive-aggressive snark or thinly-veiled shaming of some type and then cries bloody murder when it's turned back on them. *Pikachu Shocked Face*. ;)

You should have invited her along for the trip. She would have been impressed. (just don't use auto pilot - it freaks out new riders)

I use Autopilot with new riders - I just don't tell them until we're 20 miles down the highway. Then I say "Did you know the car has been driving itself for the last 20 miles?".

They usually look at me like I'm pulling their leg or exaggerating or something.

I am what some folks label as "Ultra Right Wing" Conservative. I love my country, my God and don't touch my weapons, I pay for what I use and I don't ask anyone for anything I am capable of doing myself.

I am what some folks label as "Ultra Left Wing" Liberal. I love my country, stand up for liberty and justice for all, I don't believe in invisible deities, and don't touch my shotguns or rifles. I pay for what I use and I don't ask anyone for anything I'm capable of doing myself. I also love my neighbors and am more than willing to help out with my two hands or some spare cash when someone is in a bind or having trouble providing for themself because I realize sometimes things don't go as planned. I don't resent those less fortunate than myself who need help because I realize not everyone is as capable as myself, never will be, and I have always had more than I needed because I've been healthy and don't have outsized needs or material desires. If I can help someone else in need, I will. Because we are all trying to get by here together and none of us can take it with us. It's the people that matter and I see more similarities than differences.

Even though I'm a retired Alaskan fisherman who has maintained plenty of big diesel marine engines, hydraulics and refrigeration units and also a motorcycle and car mechanic, I love the minimal maintenance of our two Model 3's.

Ummm...me too. But neither of us mentioned a preference for any particular political party. :rolleyes:
Twas implied

ETA: Maybe you would feel better if I said,

I'm what some folks label as "Ultra Sick of Both Extreme Sides and see the Need for More Working Together Instead of Fighting and Blaming"

Last edited:
Twas implied

ETA: Maybe you would feel better if I said,

I'm what some folks label as "Ultra Sick of Both Extreme Sides and see the Need for More Working Together Instead of Fighting and Blaming"
I'm with you there. I lean more towards one side than the other (I'll leave out which one as it's not relevant to the discussion), but I'm all for cooperation and balance.