Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My viewpoint is that most people don’t know about EVs and even if they have a snarky, dumb, uninformed question or comment, it is my job not to react negatively.

we need even the most uninformed and technology laggards to have some small positive interaction with the technology, it will get to them eventually.

most people have an image of a slow limited range ev that is more novelty than practical. It’s not their fault, that’s the way the automakers wanted it.

Uninformed people of reason will ask questions in a quest for understanding and I feel an obligation to help. So many of the misconceptions seem stupid from our perspective as owners because we have made it our business to be informed. The rest are playing catch-up.

The vast majority of us have been enslaved by the petroleum industry in all recent and historical experience. That there is a viable alternative is bound to engender speculation, and in the presence of educated intellect, invoke curiosity.
Ignorance is a hole we are all climbing out of. Some are better armed than others, so if a question sounds foolish to you, consider yourself fortunate that you have the answer to the question.

All that is not to say I haven't enjoyed reading this entire thread. ;) I think it is an accurate reflection of the major transition we are in the midst of. Personally I feel privileged to be riding the crest of the wave, and I will help all I can to join me.

Reactions: Yapa Drive
According to the last survey I saw, half of America still doesn't know that EVs exist. Many of the rest can't name any, much less explain how they work - so they definitely don't have the foggiest notion what they are like to drive and own. What they have heard about NEVs (25-mph neighborhood electric vehicles, exempt from many safety regulation) and HEVs (hybrids) gets conflated with PEVs (plug-in electric vehicles). HERE is a blog I wrote 8 years ago describing some of the confusion.

I've talked to over 20,000 people about EVs over the last decade. Only maybe 20 of those have been hostile and resisted information. The vast majority have asked questions that I could easily categorize as stupid, but I'm still happy to answer them. Almost every one - if I round to the nearest percent, I could say 100% - has seemed to appreciate the information I give them. Even better, of course, is to give them a ride! Hearing a car is great is not the same as experiencing it, especially when you initially assume it is inferior.

The cranks are out there, but they seem to be busy online and so are hard to find in real life. Most of the real-world people may be uninformed, but they are almost all happy to learn.

Last edited:
REx does. BEV does not.

Source: I’ve sold a few of them.

I almost bought an used one. I could get a 2015 for around 16,000. For such a small car it is amazingly spacious on the inside. Plus, it had great regenerative braking. Not as fun to drive as the M3 but still outshines alot of ice cars.

If I bought one I might have quit my current job and took a replacement downtown. Car could fit in any parking spot.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The question I hear the most is “what if it runs out of battery?” And I always try to explain that the car would never run out.

But the thing that annoys me the most is that there’re people (namely one of my wife’s friend) tend to think Teslas would just burst in flames by itself. Ever since we bought the car, whenever there’s news about a Tesla on fire, she’s forward the story to my wife. Very annoying.

Reactions: Tron 3