Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny to see what the “other M3” owners think.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's amusing that a BMW owner would even bring up a conversation about noise as the M5 has fake engine noise piped into the speakers.

There is an idea for a future software update - fake engine noise in Tesla sound systems. Would be great to have different options - Mustang, Maclaren, Trabant (love the two stroke sound of this one), Falcon Heavy, NYC subway train, steam engine etc. The Trabant option should come with a burned oil smell generator.
This is how you convince ICE fans to switch! (And shut up the CR reviewer who complained about lack of engine noise in thr 3).

Fake engine noise for EVs is nothing new at all. When I was having a Porsche converted to EV (a disaster I documented at the time, due to incompetence by the shop) the guy offered me a CD of engine noise to go along with the car. I told him that the noise was one minor reason, among many bigger reasons, why I wanted an electric car in the first place. I hate the noise of stinkers. But the idea is an old one.

There is an idea for a future software update - fake engine noise in Tesla sound systems. Would be great to have different options - Mustang, Maclaren, Trabant (love the two stroke sound of this one), Falcon Heavy, NYC subway train, steam engine etc. The Trabant option should come with a burned oil smell generator.
This is how you convince ICE fans to switch! (And shut up the CR reviewer who complained about lack of engine noise in thr 3).

They could also include a Van Halen setting, which just loops the drum intro of Hot For Teacher.

FWIW, I'll be trading in my BMW M3 (2013 DCT V8) when my Tesla Model 3 Performance arrives, and I could not be more excited about the change. Don't get me wrong, my BWM M3 has been a great car and I love driving it (and I know I will miss the sound of the engine above 4000 rpm :), but I don't go to the track, and as a daily driver, the P3D will be an upgrade in many ways to the M3, in my opinion...

Last edited:
Ahahahaha Agreed. Here are a few Tesla douche rules

If anybody posts a legitimate question about a Tesla, angrily respond to them "well, just go back to <brand> you like so much, we don't need you!"

Forgot to quote it, but "what's wrong with Elon hero worship?" Same thing as what's wrong with all hero worship.

I live on a hill side so noise travels up, and more than noisey cars are the assholes on motorcycles, esp harleys..they assault the whole neighborhood with those things even with the windows in the house closed.

I like Harley bike riders until they remove the mufflers. Then they are aholes. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of them that ride near my house. For some reason, noise pollution is only a problem with the police if you have your stereo blaring too loud.

Burn them all to the ground.
I ride motorcycles and Harleys are the worst. It's a combination of sounding like a farting cow, 99.9% of owners insisting on putting straight pipes on them, and the fact that they have to blip the throttle constantly and make sure they go wide-open-throttle any time they might be in a populated area just to make sure no eardrums at the cafe are left in a non-bleeding state.

It's assholery for the sheer purpose of being assholes.

I can understand enjoying a good engine note, I sure do! I'm just too courteous to actually modify exhaust to make anything sound louder, and I sure as hell don't make it a point of being as loud as I can whenever others are in earshot.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Forgot to quote it, but "what's wrong with Elon hero worship?" Same thing as what's wrong with all hero worship.

I worship musicians who can play Bach really well. Hilary Hahn, Katja Sager, and Wim Winters come to mind. (All can be found on YouTube.) I don't worship Elon. I like Elon for building my Roadster and then my Model 3. And I deeply respect him for investing his billions into creating electric cars and making them the best cars ever instead of retiring to a tropical island and surrounding himself with pretty girls, as I would have done if I had that much money. I think some of his ideas are nuts, such as the idea of building a colony on Mars. But with Tesla, he can support a lot of nutty ideas and still have my respect. But if he wants me to worship him (which he probably doesn't care about one way or another) he'd have to learn to play Bach on the violin, organ, clavichord, or harpsichord really well. ;)

Case in point: there is currently a thread going on in the main Facebook Model 3 group where someone who is currently a BMW i3 driver with a Model 3 on order is concerned about all of the delivery issues he's read and wondering if he should stick with the i3, which has not had any build quality issues. It's an legitimate concern IMHO, but he's being ripped to pieces by people in the thread. The level of tribalism is completely insane.

I got access to read the thread.

5% of the comments were hateful and dreadful. Another 5% were just being snarky. Ranges from not acceptable to not nice.

Though it was good to see the remainder of the comments stick up for their Model 3's without disparaging the owner's i3. Most comments along these lines are "My Model 3 was fine".

A 10% flame ratio is not that bad given people love to argue and fight and brand loyalty is a team sport. I would be a huge hypocrite if I said I didn't like a good flame war myself.

i3 Owner: I don't like Model 3 Styling. Rips off a Porsche and a Mazda.
MXWing: yeah.. well the i3 looks like a cockroach on bicycle wheels.
i3 Owner: At least my bumper doesn't fall off in the rain.
MXWing: yeah well at least the Model 3 doesn't look like it's giving birth to another car in the rear.
i3 Owner: At least the i3 comes with badges. Why can't your boy Musk pay his suppliers so you can get a badge and spoiler?
MXWing: ....... :(

I got access to read the thread.

5% of the comments were hateful and dreadful. Another 5% were just being snarky. Ranges from not acceptable to not nice.

Though it was good to see the remainder of the comments stick up for their Model 3's without disparaging the owner's i3. Most comments along these lines are "My Model 3 was fine".

A 10% flame ratio is not that bad given people love to argue and fight and brand loyalty is a team sport. I would be a huge hypocrite if I said I didn't like a good flame war myself.

i3 Owner: I don't like Model 3 Styling. Rips off a Porsche and a Mazda.
MXWing: yeah.. well the i3 looks like a cockroach on bicycle wheels.
i3 Owner: At least my bumper doesn't fall off in the rain.
MXWing: yeah well at least the Model 3 doesn't look like it's giving birth to another car in the rear.
i3 Owner: At least the i3 comes with badges. Why can't your boy Musk pay his suppliers so you can get a badge and spoiler?
MXWing: ....... :(
That's fair :) I haven't looked at it since the initial barrage of comments. Perhaps the replies are nicer since then :)

Reactions: MXWing
I believe that legitimate negative feedback is both valuable and effective. One huge example is the P/P+ evolution. The initial price for the P was pushed back on by many people here and on other forums, as was the lack of any real hardware, at least that we were told about. Soon there was an update -- a change -- and the pricing for the P was lowered, and specific hardware for the P+ was defined. This was what pushed me over the edge on ordering. There's nothing wrong with negative feedback and I think most here acknowledge and appreciate it. There are already several reviews calling the 3 a fantastic car -- feedback has had a role in that success.

Reactions: MXWing and daniel
It's amusing that a BMW owner would even bring up a conversation about noise as the M5 has fake engine noise piped into the speakers.

Yah, and let's add a gas exhaust smell too. Or better yet, make it make horse sounds and emissions. Thanks but no thanks. We don't need to bring legacy emissions (sound, smell, pollution) into future vehicle tech.

So when are we going to accept that the claim that the P3D will beat an M3 around the track is a lie?
When it is proven that it is impossible. At this point it's hardly a lie. Pure stock as of today, it's not happening. Track mode/stickier tires and maybe suspension, should get it there.

It doesn't bother me anyway if an M3 is just ahead. I'll enjoy getting 100mpg the other 99% of my driving time over 25mpg. ;)

FWIW, I'll be trading in my BMW M3 (2013 DCT V8) when my Tesla Model 3 Performance arrives, and I could not be more excited about the change. Don't get me wrong, my BWM M3 has been a great car and I love driving it (and I know I will miss the sound of the engine above 4000 rpm :), but I don't go to the track, and as a daily driver, the P3D will be an upgrade in many ways to the M3, in my opinion...
You will miss it far less than you think IMO.

I was getting ready to sign on a new M3 when I got the email about my P3D.

These are the same people that prefer horses to cars and think jets are too quiet compared to propeller planes. A lot of people hate change they fight it because it means they'll have to adapt and get used to something new. Remember the DOS vs. Windows people? Or the people that thought those big LaserDisks were the only why to go for recorded movies? In another 20 years people are going to wonder why anyone would own a ICE power vehicle. Yes, there will still be a place for them for certain things, but they'll be considered old tech by most of the population.

These are the same people that prefer horses to cars and think jets are too quiet compared to propeller planes. A lot of people hate change they fight it because it means they'll have to adapt and get used to something new. Remember the DOS vs. Windows people? Or the people that thought those big LaserDisks were the only why to go for recorded movies? In another 20 years people are going to wonder why anyone would own a ICE power vehicle. Yes, there will still be a place for them for certain things, but they'll be considered old tech by most of the population.
They will be seen as toys. Just like we might view a 1960s musclecar.