Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just trying to get my voice out there in case it helps anybody else. It seems like the people who supposedly love the yoke like to get their voice out there so I'm just trying to balance that out a little bit
Actually, your post was my first ever pro yoke response. But your Mensa level decision of taking a 40k hit to change cars on something that could have been addressed with far less drama and economics was truly a head slapper for me and made me question if you were a bot.

Just sayin

The one thing I don't like in the yoke is, with round steering wheel, after making a turn I can control how fast the steering wheel returns to its natural position depending on how strong I hold on to it. Now I have to move my hands to keep it in control and it's not as smooth.
That’s legit. I use the yoke a bit differently than a wheel. I didn’t think about it till this morning, but when I make a turn, say a RT, my right hand slides to the top while my left hand loosens and slides down, still on but more like guiding. I pull down with my right hand letting my left hand glide as the yoke slides through it. Once my right hand is at the bottom, not across center, just straight down, my left hand tightens it’s grip and goes up while my right hand releases, moves up and grabs the other side of the yoke, which is now on the right side and pulls down. On turn recovery, it’s the exact opposite. My hands never cross, I don’t get into all those convoluted positions you see people doing, to turn using a yoke. (seriously, who tries to turn a wheel from the 9-3 and not remove their hands?).

After reading this explantation, if I were you, I’d be like, see?? A wheel is easier. But if I were to break down the mechanics of putting a fork in your mouth, people would be all, see? It’s easier to use your fingers. lol Honestly, hand to Arnold, Ive never thought about it till today. If I had, I’d probably be like, F it, give me a wheel.

Basically what I’m trying to say is, it’s not round. The problem people have for the most part is they treat it as if it were.

OK, I’ve searched: is there a thread on the functional advantages of the yoke? (This is not “I like the way it looks” or things like that, rather how or why it functions better as a control for the car, enables better control of the car?)

Thanks.
Yes usually the argument for the yoke is that people think it looks cool or people really love the 9:00 and 3:00 position constantly for their hands. If you love 9:00 and 3:00 so much and love driving with two hands 100% of the time just do it with a steering wheel. Steering wheels still superior in this case because at least you have something circular to grab onto in your lap vastly superior than something rectangular

?? What did I say for you to be this negative? You wish this for Yoke owners? Get a life dude. I wasn’t being a fanboi of the yoke and just saying that it’s been working ok for me with some challenges. People like this should not be part of the community.
I felt like the model S with the yoke was seriously the most unsafe car I've ever driven. No balance points for your hands for long distances relying on autopilot nearly 100% of the time because manually steering it is so unrealistic. That's why I offloaded it as fast as I could I did not think that that was a safe car. I'll be shocked if safety statistics do not prove that the yoke is a much more dangerous operating system than a steering wheel

A lot of your ‘science’ is very option based. I’ll say it again:

The steering wheel has has many incarnations/shapes in various automotive interior design studios I’ve worked in, and none have been produced only due to supplier issues.

Toyota is producing a yoke steering wheel, and so are two other legacy OEMs.
I think I've offered vastly more science, physics, ergonomics and more in my initial post than I've heard from any people that espouse the yoke. The yoke argument is usually that it offers a better view of the screen and it forces you into using the nine and three o'clock positions nearly 100% of the time driving. This also means that it necessitates two-handed steering. What do you think is better something that you can operate with one hand if you need to or that you have to operate with two hands? Obviously driving is something that we spend a lot of time doing and we simply don't want to or don't have to operate with two hands. The simplest solution usually wins. A 360° steering wheel is the simplest by far. Occam's razor

Actually if you hold the steering wheel properly, there is zero issue with the yoke: (7:00 mark)

The brakes/steering ratio are far more of an problem from a design engineering POV than the steering wheel. (Along IMHO, the placement of steering controls) Maybe auto cross and track folks are holding the wheel wrong? Maybe folks who conduct thousands of hours of economic data juman factor research are incorrect vs your ‘findings?’

(Almost 0% chance of that being the case here.)
I think the yoke will actually be worse with a more sensitive steering ratio. I think a more sensitive steering ratio with the yoke is going to equate to more accidents more quickly because it doesn't fix any of the problems the yoke presents

Reactions: Wol747
Dude, put it on cruise, bring your feet close to the seat, rest your hand on your knees,(they’ll be at the sides of the yoke), and relax. It’s not rocket surgery. There’s better places to rest your arms driving, than laying your hand on top of the steering wheel
Yes, when on autopilot on my model 3 typically my hand is in my lap at the 4:00 position palm up and I have a rock solid grip of the steering wheel. This is vastly superior to any position that I discovered with the yoke.

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_212624773.jpg
    PXL_20220723_212624773.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 69
Actually, your post was my first ever pro yoke response. But your Mensa level decision of taking a 40k hit to change cars on something that could have been addressed with far less drama and economics was truly a head slapper for me and made me question if you were a bot.

Just sayin
Take a look at the options for the steering wheel most of them are not even round. Even the ones that look around are not circular they're bigger on the top than they are the bottom. Not something I'm willing to mess with. It was a terrible decision for me to buy a car with a yoke. I owned up to that and took the hit and moved on to the model 3

I think the yoke will actually be worse with a more sensitive steering ratio. I think a more sensitive steering ratio with the yoke is going to equate to more accidents more quickly because it doesn't fix any of the problems the yoke presents
That's great that you 'think' that-but drivers who have driven it on track, and benchmark engineers I've talked to mentioned a more variable steering ratio, not 'just' a quicker rack. Since you value scientific data, surely you are open to contrary information as you might just have a situational bias correct? Indeed, one of the worlds most conservative legacy OEMs, Toyota, have adapted such a system for its yoke a drive-by-wire system that enables it to adjust the steering for low-speed situations and sharp turns.

So beyond your 'thoughts' feel free to contribute your data to contradict Toyota engineers. I look forward to hearing about your data.

I think I've offered vastly more science, physics, ergonomics and more in my initial post than I've heard from any people that espouse the yoke. The yoke argument is usually that it offers a better view of the screen and it forces you into using the nine and three o'clock positions nearly 100% of the time driving. This also means that it necessitates two-handed steering. What do you think is better something that you can operate with one hand if you need to or that you have to operate with two hands? Obviously driving is something that we spend a lot of time doing and we simply don't want to or don't have to operate with two hands. The simplest solution usually wins. A 360° steering wheel is the simplest by far. Occam's razor
You've meshed two different economic operational requirements (flying a plane, driving a car) for your argument. Those two aren't directly comparable. So your 'findings' are flawed.

Please resubmit with just your findings re: round steering wheels vs other automotive applications. Thanks. Toyota however, was far less vague in a press release regarding its yoke some of which directly addressed the issues you listed:

The automaker listed all the advantages of its new steer-by-wire system:

• Lock-to-lock is set at around 150 degrees, eliminating the need to change grips when steering, greatly reducing the burden on the driver for U-turn, garage parking, and on winding roads.
  • The steering feeling is improved through independently controlling the steering torque that the driver feels and the steering angle of the tires. Steering characteristics can be changed with drive mode select.
  • Blocks unnecessary vibrations from tires and only transmits necessary vibrations such as road information. System controls tire movement to ensure vehicle stability when driving on uneven surfaces or when Lane Tracing Assist is activated.
  • One-motion grip provides more legroom, improving driving position freedom and ease of entry and exit.
The new system will launch in the bZ4X next year.
20211029_01_06.jpg

Take a look at the options for the steering wheel most of them are not even round. Even the ones that look around are not circular they're bigger on the top than they are the bottom. Not something I'm willing to mess with. It was a terrible decision for me to buy a car with a yoke. I owned up to that and took the hit and moved on to the model 3
is-the-2020-c8-corvette-steering-wheel-as-good-as-the-car-or-is-it-a-disappoint-149736_1.jpg

What did GM miss here?

Last edited:
I felt like the model S with the yoke was seriously the most unsafe car I've ever driven. No balance points for your hands for long distances relying on autopilot nearly 100% of the time because manually steering it is so unrealistic. That's why I offloaded it as fast as I could I did not think that that was a safe car. I'll be shocked if safety statistics do not prove that the yoke is a much more dangerous operating system than a steering wheel
Did not ask for your opinion. Replying to tessp100d’s response for wishing that owners would crash it. Negativity and sounds like you’re supporting. You sold your tesla as you claim because of safety so be happy and move on. Show us some proof or you’re simply trolling in these forums like tessp100d.