Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC vs SC01

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is to 2016.5 with SC that has never touched tesla will transfer. some people have free SC, but it is optioned as SC05, which is FOR THE OWNER ONLY and will not transfer.

somebody correct me if i am wrong
This is the way it's supposed to work. That said, it seems as though Tesla has upped their scum quotient by removing it anyway at an increased rate that makes it difficult to excuse as a mistake. Sure you can fight it and you'd be in-the-right but... how? You can't call anyone. Nobody cares. You're quite literally at the mercy of a company who has made it quite clear that they make it impossible to reach them for such issues.

This is the way it's supposed to work. That said, it seems as though Tesla has upped their scum quotient by removing it anyway at an increased rate that makes it difficult to excuse as a mistake. Sure you can fight it and you'd be in-the-right but... how? You can't call anyone. Nobody cares. You're quite literally at the mercy of a company who has made it quite clear that they make it impossible to reach them for such issues.

oh, fun. do we have any reports of SC01 successfully transferring as of late?

in theory, yes. if it still has SC01 it should work. I've been looking for reports of people who have successfully transferred FUSC with cars that correctly meet the parameters for transfer but I'm not see anything recent. I suspect this is a combination of a) reduced quantity of qualified cars and b) most people who DO have FUSC transferred, either 1) don't know there have been issues with transfer or 2) don't post on the internet

Reactions: Mark2018s
in theory, yes. if it still has SC01 it should work. I've been looking for reports of people who have successfully transferred FUSC with cars that correctly meet the parameters for transfer but I'm not see anything recent. I suspect this is a combination of a) reduced quantity of qualified cars and b) most people who DO have FUSC transferred, either 1) don't know there have been issues with transfer or 2) don't post on the internet
Thanks for input

This is easy if you're buying from the original owner, but if you buy from a non-Tesla dealership or buying from the 2nd+ owner (who may have bought from a non-Tesla dealership, or even from Tesla) then you're at Tesla's mercy as to whether it will transfer or not.

3rd party should not be an issue. it was *only* if the car went through tesla (lease return, trade in, whatever). at least, that was my understanding

This is easy if you're buying from the original owner, but if you buy from a non-Tesla dealership or buying from the 2nd+ owner (who may have bought from a non-Tesla dealership, or even from Tesla) then you're at Tesla's mercy as to whether it will transfer or not.

Has Tesla actually removed FUSC from any cars ordered before mid-January 2017? That feature was specified as being valid for the lifetime of the car. I know they can remove optional features if they want to, but FUSC was not an option, it was standard at that time.

Model_X_P100D_71.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 12.17.06 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I recently bought a 2016 Model S 75 with the new style front end from a non-Tesla dealer. I don't see anything in my VIN about FUSC or SC01, but I do have Free Unlimited Supercharging and Free Unlimited Premium Connectivity and both transferred over to me with zero issue. I wasn't sure I would have those when I bought it. The dealer didn't advertise it as having either. But once I sent Tesla the bill of sale etc to transfer ownership online, those items were listed in the car details once I gained access. I've used the Supercharging a few times now. No issues. It was really free.

I recently bought a 2016 Model S 75 with the new style front end from a non-Tesla dealer. I don't see anything in my VIN about FUSC or SC01, but I do have Free Unlimited Supercharging and Free Unlimited Premium Connectivity and both transferred over to me with zero issue. I wasn't sure I would have those when I bought it. The dealer didn't advertise it as having either. But once I sent Tesla the bill of sale etc to transfer ownership online, those items were listed in the car details once I gained access. I've used the Supercharging a few times now. No issues. It was really free.

thanks for the data point. my dealer did not advertise either. you give me hope!

<snip> is there a difference on:

FUSC - Free Unlimited Supercharging vs
SC01 - Free Supercharging
SC01 and SC05 are the two option codes for free supercharging. FUSC is just shorthand that the community uses.

There are various ways to find and decode your option codes - see here and here.
Has Tesla actually removed FUSC from any cars ordered before mid-January 2017? That feature was specified as being valid for the lifetime of the car. I know they can remove optional features if they want to, but FUSC was not an option, it was standard at that time.

They can, they have and they do. It’s been widely reported. A lot of the pre-01/17 cars you see at dealerships have had it removed, you can see from the charging screen. Some haven’t (yet) but it’s a gamble.

Nothing in your VIN will tell you - see above. Congrats on the FUSC - I hope you keep it. I steered clear of third party dealer sales, even where there was no auction history on the carfax, because of this ominous wording on the ‘Claim Ownership’ Tesla account page:

”Add a vehicle purchased from a third party by providing ownership documents to Tesla. Any benefits associated with the original vehicle purchase from Tesla, such as free Supercharging status or free Supercharging miles, may be removed.”

Finally, another data point: I just bought a 2015 85D. Private sale; the previous owner bought it CPO (back when CPO was a thing) in May 2019 - which is before Tesla started removing FUSC from CPO cars in July of that year. It was sold to him as having free, transferable unlimited supercharging. The seller transferred the car to me via his tesla account, I received an email from Tesla, completed account setup and my account shows FUSC. My option string contains SC01.

Hth

JB