Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Futuristic Digital License Plate on my Tesla - Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B087451C-92EA-4112-8CCF-94E3C37087B0.jpeg
I have been following the digital license plate pilot program since the beginning of the year and decided to take the plunge last week for a number of reasons. The old metal license plates have been around for over a hundred years and the evolution to a digital plate is an absolute certainty in the years ahead. If you drive a futuristic electric Telsa automobile, you are an early adopter and the digital license plate is probably right up your alley. Here are a few of the reasons I decided to install the Rplate in my Tesla:
1) Im not a fan of applying the HOV sticker on such a beautiful car. The Digital Plate will have the ability make those stickers obsolete. Implementation of this HOV access feature will be enabled soon.
2) Custom Taglines and Graphics/Pictures
3) Realtime kinematics and tracking
4) No more registration stickers All electronic registration.
5) Adjustable background - black background/white lettering or white background / black lettering
6) Tolls / Parking fees - nice to eventually get rid of the EZ Pass box
7) Handicap Placard - we often forget swapping the placard in our cars for our handicapped son.

Al & Eds in Marina Del Rey is running an installation special now, waiving the $380 installation fee if you mention this TMC thread. See these youtube videos:

• Disagree
Reactions: derekmw
I mean, you can just take the standard plate off and do the same thing. It's 4 shallow screws.

You think its the same thing?

Alright then, how about this scenario: before I go over the toll bridge I turn off the plate to save a few bucks. I don't think someone will go to the trouble of pulling over, removing their plate, then pulling over again and putting it back on.

No-one would risk the ticket of driving without a plate on their car either, but they would sure be tempted if there were a simple toggle switch on the dash.

Alright then, how about this scenario: before I go over the toll bridge I turn off the plate to save a few bucks. I don't think someone will go to the trouble of pulling over, removing their plate, then pulling over again and putting it back on.

No-one would risk the ticket of driving without a plate on their car either, but they would sure be tempted if there were a simple toggle switch on the dash.

You changed the scenario that I was originally replying to.

I agree that a toggle switch on the dash would make it easier to obscure the plate, but it's hardly difficult now...is my point. I'm also not sure that the possibility of abuse is a particularly good argument. I mean, our vehicles are limited to 155 miles an hour, when the most common high-speed roadways are less than half that.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

Given plate-recognition there's no real need for toll-boxes/badges or for tags for that matter - cameras, police and parking enforcement can all simply run the plate to verify road-tax is current while checking all the other things they might be checking; unpaid fines, warrants, etc. So why we still have tags in the corner of plates escapes me.

Reactions: .jg. and MXWing

Cheaper, and more stealth are "NoPhoto" type products which flash high intensity infrared whenever they detect a flash from traffic cameras. You won't get pulled over for not showing a plate, but will avoid the photos. Still illegal of course to avoid tolls, red-light or speeding cameras, and you can still get caught by a determined law enforcement officer, but this method offers less obvious, more stealth usage.

700 bucks, plus a monthly fee, and CA plans on using it to log how far/where you drive to tax you per mile. The privacy policy also leaves open the option for them to sell data to third parties for marketing purposes. Hell to the no on this big brother schitt.
Yep, way more efficient and cheaper (since users pay for it) than deploying license plate readers (already in use).

nah, can't modify lic plates. policia don't like that. good way to get pulled over
First, check with your state law, it may not be illegal as long as you are not obscuring it or changing it. Second, if the white on black electronic plates are legal, the color combo is legal. Third, you are simply "protecting" the license plate with paint, without making it less readable or changing it.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

Given plate-recognition there's no real need for toll-boxes/badges or for tags for that matter - cameras, police and parking enforcement can all simply run the plate to verify road-tax is current while checking all the other things they might be checking; unpaid fines, warrants, etc. So why we still have tags in the corner of plates escapes me.

This is used in the UK. Most British police cars are now equipped with Automatic Number Plate Recognition systems, which will flag vehicles without current tax, MoT (an annual safety test) or insurance. The system can also flag cars which have been associated with serious crime. Fixed cameras are used to log cars entering/exiting congestion zones, car parks and to calculate average speed between fixed points.

Drivers using a plate of non-standard construction, in the wrong font or with anything sprayed or otherwise obscuring the lettering can be fined up to £1000.