Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD clairance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could just be me but I have a tough time finding a definitive Model X height with the FWD opened (will soon trade in my S for an X). Is the 90" I've seen in some places correct? My garage has an 8' ceiling. I've just had the garage door opener replaced by a wall mounted unit and the tracks raised. This means I know have the full 8' when the door is closed and around 91" when the door is opened. I suspect there will not be an issue when the garage door is closed but my question is, with the garage door open, will the FWD open fully or partially? Thanks.

I guess some one could take a tape measure to it. And, I would post the result if I could at this moment. I am wondering if this is just for curiosity reasons. I am not sure of the concern. The X will always when entering a garage default to a partial opening condition until you manually override that condition with a manual height you set while the car is in the garage ensuring you determine the maximum height. But, even if you accidentally override to high, the sensors will keep the door from hitting anything overhead. The door will stop. So, I am not sure the actual number matters.

While you barely have enough clearance for full opening, you still can't with the override. The sensor will sense the opened garage door and won't go all the way up. It will go pretty much all the way up with override if the garage door is closed.

But, be careful with this because if you opened the FWD doors fully inside the garage, and if you open the garage door afterward, it will hit your FWD. Just something to keep in mind.

I have the same low garage so I've seen it all. The sensors also sometimes act up and try to go all the way up hitting the garage door (usually when I try to open/close the FWD a few times).

Got it. Thanks. Back to my initial question then. What clearance is required for the doors to fully open? In other words, how many inches away does the upward obstacle need to be for the rooftop sensor to say, good to fully open? Or will it never if it senses anything above? And yes, asking out of curiosity more than anything.

If I was at home, I would quickly get you the measurement. If no one replies by Sunday, I will measure. Other item to consider is you can set the suspension lower to help with the clearance. But, I am not sure if it is geofenced. I believe that only applies to raising. That would give you a few more inches which seems applicable to your situation.

Got it. Thanks. Back to my initial question then. What clearance is required for the doors to fully open? In other words, how many inches away does the upward obstacle need to be for the rooftop sensor to say, good to fully open? Or will it never if it senses anything above? And yes, asking out of curiosity more than anything.

I believe the car(something) detects if it is inside and it won't open fully unless you override. From what I have seen FWD won't fully open even in medium size hangars. Maybe something changed since my last tests.

More than 8 feet. The doors can open to about 90% with a 8ft garage with the door closed. To me it's almost fully opened. This is with geofence override enabled.

If you go to an underground garage it will always open in umbrella mode even with enough clearance. In these cases you just need to press the open button once (instead of press and hold) for the doors to fully open automatically.

My garage door motor is at 91" and when the suspension is on standard, it will just tap it if I park underneath it and over-ride the fwd. If I put the suspension on low or very-low, the doors can easily open without coming close to the motor.

8ft garage.

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Seattle Tom
Thanks Outie. Your setup looks pretty much like mine, except I have now just replaced the garage door opener hanging from the ceiling to put in a wall motor and I raised the tracks. When I tested a loaner from the SC in my garage, the ceiling mounted motor was getting picked up by the sensor and the FWD only opened partially.

You clearly cannot open your garage door with the FWD up. Did you put in extra sensors or anything?