Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD how likely is it to hit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a chance that the sensor won't detect this bracket? Just got the 2023 MX, not sure if I want to risk it 😑
DAF3556A-9D61-4A96-8EDE-7BDCC3AE06B5.jpeg

Attachments

• 25A7F68A-28DE-4311-81FB-452CCD023574.jpeg
    25A7F68A-28DE-4311-81FB-452CCD023574.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 82
It will be cautious for sure. In my garage, it wouldn't open the doors full despite having enough room about about a foot. So I instructed it to always open fully in this location and now it works. If I were you, I'd open it fully either in front of or behind that bracket where you're sure it isn't going to hit, and just eyeball it to see if it clears the bracket when it's all the way up. In my garage it does, but my garage door might be higher than yours. You'll notice there's an ultrasonic sensor inbetween the falcon wing doors right on the center of the roof. It's to help detect overhead obstacles and help the X understand whether it's "indoors" or not. It, by default, doesn't open them all the way when indoors.

Upvote 0
I have a similar situation in my garage and am doubtful about the sensors as well. My solution? I always back in (front facing outside). Haven’t had a problem when parking like this. It’s also much easier getting out.

Attachments

• D4E1F32F-3D5A-40E3-AC35-690FF5E755E3.jpeg
    D4E1F32F-3D5A-40E3-AC35-690FF5E755E3.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 62
  • BFA797EB-2BDA-4895-990A-3B388D93FFD8.jpeg
    BFA797EB-2BDA-4895-990A-3B388D93FFD8.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 6C34422C-6E2F-4F8B-83B6-960265708D41.jpeg
    6C34422C-6E2F-4F8B-83B6-960265708D41.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: henderrj and d4vid
Upvote 0
I cannot emphasize enough: DO NOT OPERATE YOUR FALCON DOORS INSIDE THE GARAGE - I broke the roof glass of my falcon door (2017 X) doing it!

If the garage door is open (like you can see in Bruce's pictures), the car is smart enough to sense the garage door, and only open the falcon door part way. The problem that happened to me was as follows: I walked into my garage from the house - the garage door was closed. I pressed the button on the wall to open the garage door, then walked over to the falcon door and pressed handle to open it. At the moment that I pressed the car handle, the garage door was not fully open and the falcon door sensor thought there was no obstruction above it and proceeded to open into the garage door, thereby cracking the glass on the top of the falcon door (The hit was on the outer edge of the glass pane, which then propagated across the entire pane...) I tried to stop the falcon door with my hand, but could not....

I was just not thinking at that moment about the sequence of events... And to this day, I am still very aware / cautious about opening the falcon doors inside the garage (I do it, but only when I am right on top of it...)

Even if you sort it out, the real concern is your other family members, who may think it is ok, but not be cognizant of the sequence of actions (one kid opens the garage door, another kid opens the falcon door...)

Upvote 0
I had a close call a couple of months ago... Was watching TV with the Model X key fob in my pocket (We are about 60 feet from our separate free-standing three car garage) and suddenly the cell phone indicated there was motion in the garage on our garage cam. There should not be any activity in the garage with the door closed and locked! I jumped up and triggered the garage door opener and walked outside to see what was going on.... And opening the garage door just missed the FWD which had been deployed when the key fob pressed against something in my pocket. The garage cam had picked up the door opening in the garage. If the door had opened all of the way, it could have been sheared off by the garage door opening overhead.

I wish there was some way to prevent the FWD from opening while in my garage. Now I never sit with the key fob in my pocket,, it is always in a jacket pocket hanging up in the closet, away from the car.

Upvote 0
I had a close call a couple of months ago... Was watching TV with the Model X key fob in my pocket (We are about 60 feet from our separate free-standing three car garage) and suddenly the cell phone indicated there was motion in the garage on our garage cam. There should not be any activity in the garage with the door closed and locked! I jumped up and triggered the garage door opener and walked outside to see what was going on.... And opening the garage door just missed the FWD which had been deployed when the key fob pressed against something in my pocket. The garage cam had picked up the door opening in the garage. If the door had opened all of the way, it could have been sheared off by the garage door opening overhead.

I wish there was some way to prevent the FWD from opening while in my garage. Now I never sit with the key fob in my pocket,, it is always in a jacket pocket hanging up in the closet, away from the car.
You can set it to open low at home.

Upvote 0
If indoors, it should open low by default. When you force it to open high, then it saves it to always open high at that location. Just click the little X next to that message.

So go in your garage, open the door and you’ll see the message about always opening high. Click the X.

Maybe it's different between firmware, because mine defaults to auto. Which, of course dosent work if the sensors can't detect obstructions

Upvote 0