Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD on incline + calibration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a pretty new MX owner.

The other day I was at my friend's house and pulled out of his garage because it's too small in there. I was on the driveway but the FWD would only open a little bit (not enough to really go in/out easily. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't open up any more.

The driveway has a slight incline so I drove it down to the street where it's more flat and the FWD opened up all the way. I guess the FWD don't work well if there's even a slight incline?

When I got to my house, I was on flat land but the right (passenger) side FWD would not open. I tried the door handle as well as key fob. I went into the car to try opening it on the screen but found a message asking for calibration so I calibrated and it seems ok now.

What is calibration and why does it need to do this? Is it pretty normal?

Any other tips that I should know about the FWD as I wasn't aware of both of these things.

Sounds like it detected something too close and would only partially open. I know there have been times where mine has done the same thing. You can manually override by holding the fwd open icon on “doors” screen. You have to continually hold down the button and if you let go prematurely , the door will stop. You will also get a message that says something like “always open doors completely at this location” and if you click yes it will always open at this location. You need to be cautious of clicking this bc if there is an obstacle that the door could hit that’s close to the area you are in i would not recommend click yes bc it could hit the obstacle in the future when you open door bc it will override the Seale detecting obstacle. Hope this made sense