Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI - Michelin warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was discussed in part on another thread but thought I’d share the info from Michelin regarding their OEM warranty and flat tire towing service which is equal to or better than Tesla’s road service in case of a flat tire.

Apparently if you have the Michelin’s on your car Michelin has an outstanding warranty that will cover your tires (even if they’re OEM) and give you treadwear coverage. Here are all the links:

Tire Warranty | Michelin Promise Plan

https://www.michelinman.com/img/sto...mise-plan_limited_mileage_warranties_2016.pdf

A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 150 miles for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

This was discussed in part on another thread but thought I’d share the info from Michelin regarding their OEM warranty and flat tire towing service which is equal to or better than Tesla’s road service in case of a flat tire.

Apparently if you have the Michelin’s on your car Michelin has an outstanding warranty that will cover your tires (even if they’re OEM) and give you treadwear coverage. Here are all the links:

Tire Warranty | Michelin Promise Plan

https://www.michelinman.com/img/sto...mise-plan_limited_mileage_warranties_2016.pdf

A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 150 miles for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

Your link says that OEM tires are excluded from the flat changing service.

So how exactly does the treadwear warranty work, and what proof etc. do you need? My uninformed impression is that treadwear warranties are difficult to have honored, and if they do honor them it's for some nominal amount.

Let's say I do my own tire rotations at every 6500 miles, and my tires end up at 1/32" by 30K miles (45K warranty on the MXM4s if I'm reading the chart correctly). So how does the process work and what will Michelin want (i.e., what hoops will they make me jump through so I just give up)?

So how exactly does the treadwear warranty work, and what proof etc. do you need? My uninformed impression is that treadwear warranties are difficult to have honored, and if they do honor them it's for some nominal amount.

Let's say I do my own tire rotations at every 6500 miles, and my tires end up at 1/32" by 30K miles (45K warranty on the MXM4s if I'm reading the chart correctly). So how does the process work and what will Michelin want (i.e., what hoops will they make me jump through so I just give up)?
You can download the Tire owners manual from the link I provided. From the manual:

In order to maintain the treadwear warranty on your tires, the tires must be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 -12,000 km), or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever rotation period is less. Failure to rotate the tires as provided herein voids the treadwear warranty.

From what I also read it looks like they’ll pro-rate treadwear (similar to other tires) based on length of time installed and tread depth.

When I get a new car I go to America's Tire (AKA Discount Tire) and purchase a tire protection plan (yes, they will sell it to you even if you did not buy the tires from them). This covers road hazards. And they do free flat repairs and rotation/balancing. All good.

Perfect. Time limit 30days? Price?

Update to my initial post:

I will not be replacing my tires with another Michelin product. They changed their OEM thread wear warranty coverage a few months ago. They now only cover OEM tires up to 2017. So, for anyone who purchased in 2018 we’re all SOL. And since they changed this warranty late this year, they won’t “grandfather” anyone who purchased their vehicle with their OEM tires in 2018. This information was directly from contact with them via chat. Pretty cheesy if you ask me. Consumer beware.

Back when I spent 6 years driving my old 1971 Plymouth Valiant 127,000 miles from 1998-2004, there was no such thing as tire warranties, or warranties on anything. I had my spare tires in the trunk and a good toolbox to fix any number of things on the car, and spare parts for whatever was troublesome at the time. The idea of towing a car up to 150 miles just for a flat tire was unthinkable.

Back in those days, even being able to afford new tires was rare. When I got to the second layer of steel belts, I'd change from the old tires to newER tires. Almost as good and a whole lot cheaper!

Great. Good for tire lifetime?
Price?
Discount tire certificates are insurance. Insurance generally makes a profit for the seller of the insurance product based on statistics.

Certificates cost 15-20% the cost of the tires. If you have a tire replaced due to road hazard under the certificate you are required to purchase a certificate on the replacement.

So if you have one tire replaced it costs 60% up front (4 tires * 15%) and an additional 15% for a total of 75% the cost of the tire.

If you have more than one tire replaced it’s a better deal. If you have lots of flats, it’s a better deal.

If your tires live out their tread lifetime with no issues you paid a premium for price of mind.

I git 37k miles out of my first set of S tires with a single flat.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic