Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Charging at 240Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not believing for a second that Tesla stopped including the 14-50 with the car because everyone had different setups at home. It was simply a cost savings. I have a non-Tesla charging station at home, so I needed one.
Most importantly, as far as I know almost every public non-Tesla charger is 14-50. You will want a 14-50 adapter to keep in the car just in case you need it someday.

Almost every public non-Tesla charger in North America is J1772 (or "Type 1"), because that is the standard for EV charging in North America. The equivalent in European countries is "Type 2" (very similar, but 3 phase). That's why Tesla includes the J1772 adapter here.

Besides that, for places designated as public charging that are Level 1 or Level 2, you'll run into a mix of NEMA 5-15, 5-20, 6-30, 14-50, and one other that I can't remember. Basically just whatever plug they decided to put. This is more common in places where power was provided but not specifically for EV use. NEMA 14-50 is common for household EV charging installs, and also RV parks as mentioned (but then a TT-30 plug is more common in my experience, which Tesla does not make an adapter for).

I'm not believing for a second that Tesla stopped including the 14-50 with the car because everyone had different setups at home. It was simply a cost savings. I have a non-Tesla charging station at home, so I needed one.
Most importantly, as far as I know almost every public non-Tesla charger is 14-50. You will want a 14-50 adapter to keep in the car just in case you need it someday.
You seem to be confusing the 14-50 with the J1772. Yes, of course having an adapter for public charging stations is vital, so yes, they do still include that in the cars. The 14-50 is the receptacle used by mobile homes at RV parks. A lot of people might not ever use that.

Model 3 charger is 32a
model s charger is 40a

Can I charge the model 3(48A max) with model s charger?
It sounds like you're talking about the mobile charging cables? There isn't a Model 3 one and a Model S one. There is the older 1st generation one that could do up to 40A, and then a few years ago, Tesla just switched over to the 2nd generation one that can do 32A. That's not specific to the Model 3. That's what they ship with ALL of their vehicles for the past few years. So as someone mentioned, that is total capacity available, but it doesn't "force" anything into the car. The car requests how much it wants. So you can have one of the old units that can provide 40A, and you can plug that into a car that can only accept 32A, and they will be fine. The car will just request and get 32A.

You seem to be confusing the 14-50 with the J1772. Yes, of course having an adapter for public charging stations is vital, so yes, they do still include that in the cars. The 14-50 is the receptacle used by mobile homes at RV parks. A lot of people might not ever use that.

It sounds like you're talking about the mobile charging cables? There isn't a Model 3 one and a Model S one. There is the older 1st generation one that could do up to 40A, and then a few years ago, Tesla just switched over to the 2nd generation one that can do 32A. That's not specific to the Model 3. That's what they ship with ALL of their vehicles for the past few years. So as someone mentioned, that is total capacity available, but it doesn't "force" anything into the car. The car requests how much it wants. So you can have one of the old units that can provide 40A, and you can plug that into a car that can only accept 32A, and they will be fine. The car will just request and get 32A.
Thank you I follow and agree what you wrote.
I understand the charger is in the car.
What puzzling for me is what happened. see below.
Gen 2 32a ( comes with model 3) of course works ok.
When I used it on model S and set ampere limit to 28a. I noticed cable was warmer than normal. Then the Tesla LED light the letter T turned red. I think showing overload.
I stopped charging session.

Gen1 40a I tried on model S all ok.
I tried on model 3 I get message latch not engaged. No go.

Right now I am using hen 1 for model S
Gen 2 for model 3.

So I have to plug and unplug each time.

May be the gen 1 plug needs replaced.

Eventually I will use a wall charger later. I know cars can told 48A.

Thanks

If the original builder ran #10 wire to the outlet, that could explain the 25a breaker. If there is #12 wire somebody did a no-no and the breaker needs to be swapped for a 20a for safety.

If it is #10, I'd swap the receptacle for a 10-30 and the breaker for a 30a. Now you can charge at 24 amps with the 10-30 UMC pigtail.
It's generally not allowed to install 10-30 outlets any more since they don't have a dedicated ground. The current one is NEMA 14-30. This is the outlet type used for electric clothes dryers in North America.

Right, it is a cost saving measure that is justified on the basis that people have different charging setups at home. I do not own a 14-50 adapter.

An electrician is needed for the installation of a 14-50 outlet, and it makes a lot of sense to install the wall chargers instead.

You will want a 14-50 adapter to keep in the car just in case you need it someday.

Finding a 14-50 outlet "out in the world" is a rare thing. Maybe a campground or a friend with welder. Lots of homes have drier plugs, not so many have 14-50.

In any case $35 is pretty trivial compared to the purchase of the car and the electrical work.

Last edited: