Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know if you have homelink or what. Let me tell you the range of my Tesla homelink for Auto open is much less than my garage opener. Second, the distance is set by the user. Third, you do NOT have to set it up on Auto open if you do not want to have it auto open. So why are you going on and on by making arguments none of which are valid? I just do not understand. You moved from dangerous to now the distance and then it being on Auto open. If you wish I can post a photo of the options in the home link set up if you wish. I ran it without open for a week before setting it to Auto open. Even then it gives a beep before auto opening in case one wishes not to auto open. Even the mirror folding and opening is an option in the home link set up.
I do have homelink add-on installed and love everything about it. Especially the auto open. I have set distance to where I have line of sight to garage door, and know how to cancel auto open if I see the door open. And I don't know why other manufacturers haven't moved beyond the standard 3 homelink buttons to something as nice a this.

But:

- Unlike other homelink buttons, this one can automatically open/close
- Default distance for auto open may be larger than line of sight for garage door in many situations (curved driveway or curved road in front of the house)
- Homelink signal is a toggle, so if the garage door was open, it could close
- Garage door close protection mechanism is not always fool proof

Yes, you can hit homelink button in your other cars before you see the garage door, but you are doing it voluntarily there. Someone who is not as dialed in as you may not realize that the car is sending a homelink signal to toggle garage door when someone might be standing under it. Yes, the homelink UI pops up few seconds before, but it is on your peripheral vision.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
One of the most popular things stolen in my city from cars parked in the driveway after catalytic converters is garage door openers. One more reason not to keep they keys to the home in plain sight of thieves.
it does not apply to me, because I park in the garage. I could have used MyQ from my Apple Watch, which I do when I go for a walk. But nothing like auto open. Why do other car manufacturers not think like Tesla Engineers and take the experience to the next level?

One of the most popular things stolen in my city from cars parked in the driveway after catalytic converters is garage door openers. One more reason not to keep they keys to the home in plain sight of thieves.
it does not apply to me, because I park in the garage. I could have used MyQ from my Apple Watch, which I do when I go for a walk. But nothing like auto open. Why do other car manufacturers not think like Tesla Engineers and take the experience to the next level?
I have an installation appointment next Friday.

I have had my MYLR for about 2 months now and looked into the upgrade with the HomeLink options. It is expensive and cannot apply to other cars in the household. After some online research, I went with an $65 alternative called Tailwind based in Canada. The system is easy to install and is working for me after some initial fumbles which is mostly due my android phone issues. I also hooked it up to Alexa in house to use voice commands. Great alternative for anyone whom wants to get more, does not lock you down to a single car and pay much less for the same benefits. I also tried the 3rd route with is IFTTT with the location trigger but found that to be unreliable (hit or miss).

I have had my MYLR for about 2 months now and looked into the upgrade with the HomeLink options. It is expensive and cannot apply to other cars in the household. After some online research, I went with an $65 alternative called Tailwind based in Canada. The system is easy to install and is working for me after some initial fumbles which is mostly due my android phone issues. I also hooked it up to Alexa in house to use voice commands. Great alternative for anyone whom wants to get more, does not lock you down to a single car and pay much less for the same benefits. I also tried the 3rd route with is IFTTT with the location trigger but found that to be unreliable (hit or miss).
To be candid, the easy thing to do is Velcro the garage door opener behind the screen on the bottom left. Or, Velcro it to the left side of where the phones sit. No one sees the remote and it's 100% out of the way. Takes 1-2 seconds to press the button and it's free.

To be candid, the easy thing to do is Velcro the garage door opener behind the screen on the bottom left. Or, Velcro it to the left side of where the phones sit. No one sees the remote and it's 100% out of the way. Takes 1-2 seconds to press the button and it's free.
I use the clicker. Seems ridiculous to have to pay $300 for Homelink after I spent about $70k on the car. Include it like every other car manufacturer.

Reactions: nate704 and TSLY
Nothing beats coming home and the garage door automatically rolling up to welcome you. I admit that I still need the clicker to close the door upon leaving the house. Tailwind will do the closing automatically but only recommends it only as a precaution if I forget to close the door.
Currently , I velco taped it in the drive side door storage where it is hidden but I can easy ripe it out to change the battery when needed.

Reactions: TunaBug
I do have homelink add-on installed and love everything about it. Especially the auto open. I have set distance to where I have line of sight to garage door, and know how to cancel auto open if I see the door open. And I don't know why other manufacturers haven't moved beyond the standard 3 homelink buttons to something as nice a this.

But:

- Unlike other homelink buttons, this one can automatically open/close
- Default distance for auto open may be larger than line of sight for garage door in many situations (curved driveway or curved road in front of the house)
- Homelink signal is a toggle, so if the garage door was open, it could close
- Garage door close protection mechanism is not always fool proof

Yes, you can hit homelink button in your other cars before you see the garage door, but you are doing it voluntarily there. Someone who is not as dialed in as you may not realize that the car is sending a homelink signal to toggle garage door when someone might be standing under it. Yes, the homelink UI pops up few seconds before, but it is on your peripheral vision.
Your argument seems to stem from three rare occurrences happening simultaneously. The garage door being open when the person coming home believes it is not, someone standing directly under the garage door (not sure how many people just stand or sit directly under the door other than walking out or walking back in) and the garage closure protection (to protect against anyone standing directly under the garage door) failing, all at the exact same time. I could use a similar argument as to why one shouldn't use seatbelts, there are rare times (I am sure much more often than this scenario) where the seatbelt traps people, but we use them because for the majority of people they save lives. In this case, for the vast majority of people (you seem to be included) Homelink works well.

Reactions: 73Bruin

The italicized portion of your statement is wrong. Homelink simply replaces clickers. Multiple cars with Homelink (not just Teslas) can easily share the same garage door opener. To the best of my knowledge, your Tailwind "solution" is based on your having the ability to integrate it into your opener. It doesn't work with openers that you don't control (e.g. condo or business entry gates).

The italicized portion of your statement is wrong. Homelink simply replaces clickers. Multiple cars with Homelink (not just Teslas) can easily share the same garage door opener. To the best of my knowledge, your Tailwind "solution" is based on your having the ability to integrate it into your opener. It doesn't work with openers that you don't control (e.g. condo or business entry gates).
I think he means that multiple cars cannot use Homelink (the auto-open, auto-close) without paying for another full install (or another Homelink module). Tailwind allows you to have multiple cars with the auto-open/close feature. If you have an Android you have it without any extra cost, and with an iPhone, just with the addition of a $10 vehicle sensor per car.