Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

garage floor finish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to finish my concrete garage floor and hoping some of you can make a recommendation. I'm not reading great stuff about epoxy finishes. My current garage floor was painted by a previous owner that didn't hold up and looks really bad now. I realize that paint would have to be removed. Have any of you put a nice finish on your garage floor that has stood up over the years (no peeling from tires etc)?

No matter what paint you use you will eventually have black tire marks on your floor. I have tried the best 2 part epoxy and it will not look good down the road. I used Snap-Lock flooring and although it is expensive you will never have to redo it and you can keep it clean with a mop. Installed in March and still looks new. Plus you can create your own pattern and color combo.

how much for parts and labor?

- - - Updated - - -

No matter what paint you use you will eventually have black tire marks on your floor. I have tried the best 2 part epoxy and it will not look good down the road. I used Snap-Lock flooring and although it is expensive you will never have to redo it and you can keep it clean with a mop. Installed in March and still looks new. Plus you can create your own pattern and color combo.

how much for labor and materials for your garage?

Used an epoxy paint with chips in it 12 years ago and it's held up really well. The key thing about the application is the prep. You need to get it to the point you could eat off of it before applying it. Took us 2 days to prep it and 2 hours to apply it Can't remember the brand name but it was a high quality common brand. Have fun.

This is the key part. The Epoxys work great if you do this. The OP mentioned the floor had been previously painted. You will need to acid etch the concrete to get the epoxy to bond. I have done this on garage floors and kennel floors. If it can hold up to dog nails it can hold up to tires/heat.

Reactions: GeoG
Prep is key, I realize. It's tough to know if the epoxy failures are due to prep or not. Most online reviewers had their floors professionally done - then failures. I'm not concerned about tire scuff marks rather the damage hot tires that cool (??) do to the finish by literally tearing it up. The clear coat suggested by GDH looks great but I want some evidence that it stands up over time. Snap-lock tiles look like a good possibility though I would prefer a smooth finish. I'd like to actually see a garage that's used daily after a few years with nice finish that held up.

2 part epoxy works great, but, as noted, the prep is key. You need to etch/clean with muriatic acid and be sure the floor is really dry (some good contractors use a moisture meter). No problems with tire marks or paint lifting, and it cleans up with soap and water.

Attachments

• T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 791
2 part epoxy works great, but, as noted, the prep is key. You need to etch/clean with muriatic acid and be sure the floor is really dry (some good contractors use a moisture meter). No problems with tire marks or paint lifting, and it cleans up with soap and water.

Looks great! How long had this been installed when you took the photo and do you park your car there daily? The floor looks brand new here.

I just read this on a similar thread:

We've done this across several houses we've lived in and it does look great, but doesn't last terribly long. Tires peel up the paint over a relatively short period of time (<1 year). This seems to happen every time, no matter how strictly we do the prep and no matter how high quality a product we use (and we always use 2 part epoxies).

This is consistent with online reviews of various products. Looks like the tiles are the way to go but I really want a smooth finish, not rubbery as I don't really have enough rain to worry about a wet surface here in So Cal.

This product is plastic not rubber, so it is a hard surface and you can get the solid or grille style. Go on line to Racedeck and check it out.

I just read that Costco has a similar product made by the same company called motoFloor. $100 for 48 sqft. I do think this is the way I will go. All the work to put in epoxy and then having it fail would be frustrating. I like the racedeck online designer. I think I will go for the black/alloy but I don't want a checker pattern so I'm using this tool to come up with another pattern for these 2 colors.

Residential Flooring Applications | RaceDeck

not that it matters, but my concern about not having a smooth surface is that I drag stuff around like my table saw - it doesn't scratch the floor but I can't pick it up so that might be more of a challenge with this type of flooring.

I just read that Costco has a similar product made by the same company called motoFloor. $100 for 48 sqft. I do think this is the way I will go. All the work to put in epoxy and then having it fail would be frustrating. I like the racedeck online designer. I think I will go for the black/alloy but I don't want a checker pattern so I'm using this tool to come up with another pattern for these 2 colors.

I really distrust anything that comes from Costco, Walmart, Target, etc. if it's more than just a throw-away item.

Looks great! How long had this been installed when you took the photo and do you park your car there daily? The floor looks brand new here.

Daily driver-daily parker. Hot tires and all. The photo was taken about 9 months after paint applied--and now it's about 14 months. No lifting or peeling. Still perfect. Just gets vacuumed and mopped. And, yes, slippery when wet. I chose to NOT add the sand/texture to the mix as I have found in the past that this shortens life and makes cleaning harder. YMMV.