Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

garage floor finish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my garage floor. My Garage is NOT this clean. I just had the floors done so that I can finally put in the cabinets to BE organized. I do have a question for you guys though. I've seen floating cabinets done before, and I was going to use IKEA kitchen cabinets for my garage since I wanted to build a built in sink and counter over and around the washer/dryer. However, IKEA cabinets are not made to float. Is there a similar priced/style cabinet company I can choose from that I can achieve the 'floating' cabinets?

View attachment 280600 View attachment 280601 View attachment 280602 View attachment 280603 View attachment 280604

It's been a number of years years since we put our floating cabinets in after epoxying our floor and haven't been in the market for any since that time. We ended up going with California Cabinets when we did the garage however. A neighbor of ours did theirs first and first time out used someone else who was priced less. Installation was a nightmare, things were wrong and didn't hang or close correctly so they had it taken out and went with Calif Cabinets and were extremely happy with their work and product. We did both garages and have been extremely pleased with our cabinets and installation. Like the adjustability of the shelves insides. No weird gaps and all the hinges have been fine. Went with a butcher block counter in the main garage.

It's been a number of years years since we put our floating cabinets in after epoxying our floor and haven't been in the market for any since that time. We ended up going with California Cabinets when we did the garage however. A neighbor of ours did theirs first and first time out used someone else who was priced less. Installation was a nightmare, things were wrong and didn't hang or close correctly so they had it taken out and went with Calif Cabinets and were extremely happy with their work and product. We did both garages and have been extremely pleased with our cabinets and installation. Like the adjustability of the shelves insides. No weird gaps and all the hinges have been fine. Went with a butcher block counter in the main garage.

Thanks for the info. Any idea on cost wise and how many cabinets did you put in? I have no problem installing cabinets myself but I doubt they allow that option? The cost to have cabinets lined up on 1 wall and along the back with sink/counter/etc through ikea is $3800 (minus the 15% sale once it starts). I want to try to keep it in that price range but I doubt that's possible if they have to do the design/install.

Thanks for the info. Any idea on cost wise and how many cabinets did you put in? I have no problem installing cabinets myself but I doubt they allow that option? The cost to have cabinets lined up on 1 wall and along the back with sink/counter/etc through ikea is $3800 (minus the 15% sale once it starts). I want to try to keep it in that price range but I doubt that's possible if they have to do the design/install.

Honestly we had ours done so many years ago I don't even remember what we paid. We did the front wall pulling in of our 2-car (with upper and lower cabinets and butcher block work area) and the front wall of our single garage (all cabinets). Plus you had a number of choices of materials back then and everyone's configuration will be unique to them. They probably still do free in home quotes and I'm not sure what they offer these days. They did install ours and our installer was always checking the level.

Hi Everyone,
Just curious why no one has mentioned getting a tiled floor in the garage. Granted it's a little more expensive, but won't one avoid all the fears of peeling, tire marks etc etc with tile? Most car showroom floors are tile (porcelain tile?) right? I have an eight car garage that I haven't done anything to and with the 2 MS would love to finish the flooring now.
Feedback appreciated.

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I'm looking to seal my garage floor with probably an epoxy. it's about 31'x22' it is new (no vehicles) priced the rust-oleum product from one of the box stores would be around $300 any one have any experience with these? I know there's much better stuff available but l will have limited funds to work with. Any suggestions are appreciated.
(moderator note)

Thread relocated to subforum that was created about 9 months ago for discussion about garage setup.

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I'm looking to seal my garage floor with probably an epoxy. it's about 31'x22' it is new (no vehicles) priced the rust-oleum product from one of the box stores would be around $300 any one have any experience with these? I know there's much better stuff available but l will have limited funds to work with. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Why not use snap in plastic floor tile, you will never have to repaint and it will last forever.

Reactions: bareyb
Rust-Oleum Rock Solid floor coating. It's been down for 3 years and looks as good now as it did when applied.

Attachments

• 20210303_125702.jpg
    20210303_125702.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 188
I'd like to finish my concrete garage floor and hoping some of you can make a recommendation. I'm not reading great stuff about epoxy finishes. My current garage floor was painted by a previous owner that didn't hold up and looks really bad now. I realize that paint would have to be removed. Have any of you put a nice finish on your garage floor that has stood up over the years (no peeling from tires etc)?

I’ve done it myself and most recently paid a pro garage floor company. Quite a difference. First, they don’t screw around trying to degrease and etch. They brought in a jumbo grinder and ground a new surface. Every hint of old coatings and oil and dirt gone! Then they apply a first coat, followed by almost 100 lbs of flakes - not a little baggy - that creates a second tough layer, followed by a really chemically inert clear topcoat.

I’m a very competent DIYer and these guys blew me away with the method and the quality. The diy kits just don’t compare.

If we ever move, I’d pay to have it done by a pro again…

No relation. No kickbacks.
Epoxy Garage & Commercial Floor Coatings | Stronghold Floors

I wouldn’t mess around with epoxy. Go with a polyurea coating and it will last longer than epoxy. It’s more expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you go epoxy, don’t go with the big box store versions, they are mostly water and are susceptible to hot tire lift and wearing away. Go professional or buy a quality kit online.

No matter what paint you use you will eventually have black tire marks on your floor. I have tried the best 2 part epoxy and it will not look good down the road. I used Snap-Lock flooring and although it is expensive you will never have to redo it and you can keep it clean with a mop. Installed in March and still looks new. Plus you can create your own pattern and color combo.
On the contrary, go with black epoxy!

Attachments

• 20221120_092945.jpg
    20221120_092945.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Helpful
Reactions: israndy